Reflector refurb

PonchoTA

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I have a nice, big dive light that I use on twilight dives, and fairly deep ones, and the reflector is showing it's age.

There are rub spots and areas where it is no longer shiny making the beam very spotty and "smeared" in some areas. How, I don't know. I'm the 2nd owner, otherwise it's in great shape.

Is there any coating I could apply to the reflector to make it at least more uniform in the beam spot short of replacing the whole thing? Make it shiny again?

I could just see myself taking some chrome spray paint to it!! LOL! Rather than risk ruining it, does CPF have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Paul

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Knowing a bit more information will help us out.
Make/ model of the light
Is the reflector plastic or aluminum?
Is it a smooth reflector or textured?
Reflectors are usually best left alone most of the time in high performance lights but there may be something we can help with since it sounds like this one is already damaged.

PonchoTA

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Phantom!

Now that I'm home I can get some of the info.

It is a 4D ikelight like this:
http://www.ikelight.com/web_pages/3rcd.html

Looks like the reflector is plastic and smooth, well mostly smooth anyway! I can't really tell how the backing got worn off, it doesn't seem like it's accessible! Maybe I'm missing something.

It might be a moot point though, I think the lens is sealed to the reflector/bulb housing. I don't want to break it trying to get into it. Maybe someone on here has worked on something similar?

I'll try and email them too, see if they have any suggestions. I'd hate to have to buy another light, because otherwise, it works fine!

Thanks! :popcorn:

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regular chrome spray paint absolutely sucks, it's just silver. If you want a true refurbish you want Alsa Mirrachrome. This is the closest to chrome I've ever seen.

keysandslots

Newly Enlightened
If it's plastic, there's probably not much you can do. Qwertyydude's right about the chrome paint, it does not work. If the reflector was solid aluminum (or solid something), it's quite possible to restore (I'm working on one now), but coated plastic is a problem.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer to ask about a replacement reflector?

Randy

PonchoTA

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to contact them today, hopefully it won't cost too much. Otherwise, I'll just get a new one.

These are great lights too. Not nearly as advanced in technology as some I've seen on here, but if I get a new one, will probably be another ikelight like I mentioned above, or a Underwater Kinetics like:
http://www.scuba.com/images/lights/Underwater-Kinetics-C4-eL-E-D-Dive-Light.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll let you know what I come up with.

:buddies:
Paul

n4zov

Newly Enlightened
The site shows this, and I wonder if this is what happened to your reflector:

"Batteries occasionally leak a very corrosive substance that will remove the coating on the reflector. This condition is often confused with underwater leakage which will not affect the reflector coating. Batteries should be removed before storage of the light."

They list replacement parts, and that might be the best solution.