Remington RMHL4AA-B Update!!!

shadow745

Banned
I've been tinkering with my latest headlamp, the Remington I found at Lowe's for $40. Has great features, killer brightness and is really comfortable to wear. I'll have to get my wife to show me how to use the new camera software, but I did take some shots of the rear part of the headlamp and from what I can see it sports a massive heatsink made out of what appears to be aluminum. I haven't taken it apart, but it has cooling fins that allow a great view of the heatsink. I don't know too much about headlamps yet, but it appears that whoever designed this thing really did their homework. I'll try to get those pics posted. Later!

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Great to hear that it was designed to handle the heat! This headlamp sounds like a real contender and definitely some serious competition for the PT Apex and similar designs with all the right stuff: 4xAA, bright, proper heat sink, etc.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was actually going to post a video review of it last night, but didn't because I'm sick and I didn't like the sound of my voice.

The headlamp is absolutely sick (in a good way) though! It isn't as bright as it claims on the packaging. It's only around 110 lumens with fresh cells, but the features are so damn cool that they make up for it. It's a real thrower too without the diffuser. It has over 4,000 lux. I'm pretty sure the headlamp is made by rayovac, but it is definitely high quality and worth every penny.

I'll try to get a written review up latter tonight.

shadow745

Banned
Yeah I have a few pics of the heatsink area, but have no clue how to post them. If any of you'd like to see what the heatsink looks like, simply e-mail me and I'll reply back with the pics. Otherwise I doubt I'll bother trying to post them, not much of a computer geek.

I totally agree..... I have no idea if it is as bright as advertised, but will certainly throw a killer beam and the light is nice and white with no hotspots. All other features work as advertised and once I saw how well the heatsink is designed I knew it was a proper headlamp. And for $40........ Later!

shadow745

Banned
I was actually considering the Coast H7 7497 with the focus beam and dimmer. But after finding this forum and reading about how important certain parts of the headlamp are (heatsink for one) I gave up on the Coast. I do like their flashlights and the look/design of their headlamps, but the headlamp itself looks a bit small to have much of a heatsink. I guess if the efficiency is there maybe it's not needed. I also have a hard time believeing it puts out what they claim on just 3AAA batts. Later!

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was actually considering the Coast H7 7497 with the focus beam and dimmer. But after finding this forum and reading about how important certain parts of the headlamp are (heatsink for one) I gave up on the Coast. I do like their flashlights and the look/design of their headlamps, but the headlamp itself looks a bit small to have much of a heatsink. I guess if the efficiency is there maybe it's not needed. I also have a hard time believeing it puts out what they claim on just 3AAA batts. Later!

Do yourself a favor and DON'T buy the Coast H7!!! Coast has made some really nice products in the last year (P7,P14) but the H7 is junk compared to every other headlamp at its price point. The battery pack is not water proof at all, the focusing system doesn't work very well at all compared to their flashlights, the switch is microscopic and very hard to locate in the dark or when wearing gloves.
The only thing the H7 has going for it is maximum brightness and highest lux. I will say the overall brightness is very impressive, but the cons out weight he pros by a large margin.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone can measure current levels?

http://www.chuckhawks.com/remington_headlight.htm
According to this site, 4 hours high at 150 lumens. I am guessing measured at 110 lumen because it has a Rayovac extreme type lens, which appears to me to soak up %30 of available lumens. Still something is wrong with the numbers. If they claim 4 hours, I will guess on 2000 milliamps, or 500 milliamp draw, which is close to 2 watts on high (over 400 millamps need heat sink and external metal, which was concern until reading this thread). Well at 2 watts, I would expect to see 200 lumen range with xre and 150 range with xre. So, either they are using a very low bin xre led, or xrc. Is the tint warm?

Is this controller based or resistor? I am guessing resistor,since only 4 hours on high. I would expect better runtime per lumen output and battery format.

If brightness at medium level is good, then so far, this looks like the best value in a quick grab, no-need-to-modify format.

nksmfamjp

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine at Lowes. It looks like it is a good light. I'm trying to look it over and see how it's built. I'll post a review when I figure it out. To be honest, my only complaint so far is that it doesn't have any detail on the package, web and there is no manual. If someone could do a runtime chart, that would be revolutionary! Seriously, other than the Chuck Hawks site, it is almost impossible to find detail about modes. There are no beamshots online. I can probably post beamshots sometime.

BTW. . .it does have a big metal heatsink on the backside.

shadow745

Banned
Yeah my only complaint is the lack of info on it and no manual included. Very few details on the packaging.

I think the diffuser is nicely done. It is thick enough and clicks solidly in place on each side. Does a good job of spreading the light out pretty evenly.

I looked high and low over the weekend (online and in stores) for something with comparable specs and features and could find nothing in this price range, really not even close. That big heatsink design sealed the deal for me. I use it almost daily doing various things outside. If any of you want an upclose pic of the heatsink design e-mail me and I'll send a pic or 2. I can also take a few close-ups of the LEDs if that's needed as well. Later!

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Do yourself a favor and DON'T buy the Coast H7!!! Coast has made some really nice products in the last year (P7,P14) but the H7 is junk compared to every other headlamp at its price point. The battery pack is not water proof at all, the focusing system doesn't work very well at all compared to their flashlights, the switch is microscopic and very hard to locate in the dark or when wearing gloves.
The only thing the H7 has going for it is maximum brightness and highest lux. I will say the overall brightness is very impressive, but the cons out weight he pros by a large margin.

I totally disagree. The focusing system is the same technology on all LL lights. It uses a different mechanism, they couldn't of added the push pull focus system for obvious reasons, but it works pretty well. Once you've used the switch muscle memory sets in and its no different than other HL's. The switch isn't that small as my noob friends have no problems with it at all. I don't see why locating the switch in the dark or daylight should make a difference, as the HL is mounted on your forehead and you wont be able to see the switch no matter what.
Each to their own I guess.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I totally disagree. The focusing system is the same technology on all LL lights. It uses a different mechanism, they couldn't of added the push pull focus system for obvious reasons, but it works pretty well. Once you've used the switch muscle memory sets in and its no different than other HL's. The switch isn't that small as my noob friends have no problems with it at all. I don't see why locating the switch in the dark or daylight should make a difference, as the HL is mounted on your forehead and you wont be able to see the switch no matter what.
Each to their own I guess.

I think the reason the focusing doesn't work anywhere near as well on the H7 as it does on my P7 is because the H7 doesn't have a very deep optic. There is a huge dark spot in the middle of the beam on my H7. Here is a list of reasons why I wouldn't recommend the H7 to anyone:

- Focusing system doesn't work as well as it could
- Button is way too small,hard to find in dark and even worse if gloves are worn
- No regulation at all. Runtime will most likely be VERY short on high!
- Battery pack is not water resistant at all!!!
- Uses 3AAA cells instead of AA, even though the cells are in the back of the head in a carrier
- No top strap, headlamp can slide down
- The actual headband can't get very large. I have a large but not huge head (7 1/2 fitted) and this thing barely fits my head. I have it stretched to the very largest setting. If my head were any bigger it would be really tight.
- Overall it just feels like a cheap headlamp with poor quality.

I've owned well over a dozen headlamps, and I was expecting this one to be pretty cool, especially since I really like the P7. I've never been so let down!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the top strap removeable? Anyone discover if a circuit is involved, or a resistor? Can the 5mm leds be gotten to for replacement (different colors)?

shadow745

Banned
Yeah on the Remington the top strap is removable. Actually comes in 3 parts, both sides and the top and you assmeble it.

I have no idea what the inside looks like and what it consists of. I may take the back cover off and take a few pics for those interested.

Again... have no idea if the 5mm can be replaced. Later!

nksmfamjp

Newly Enlightened
There is definitely some circuitry to the headlamp. If I remember my EE 101 well, there is definately a few IC's. I didn't see any resisters, that I remember. I think there was some sort of transformer. . .?? Maybe I just need to get some pics up and have you all tell me what I'm seeing! If a person was good at soldering, I think the inside would be a mod'ers paradise! I do think you could put any 3 LED's in you wanted. Now, to change their function, would require more circuit work. They function now as 2 red, 2red + 1 blue, or 2 red flashing.

Again, why isn't there a place on Remington's Website where I can go and see some layout of specs, functions, beamshots. . .? Urrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! Still love the light.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say the Energizer Hard Case 100lm headlamp is close in price and function.

I have yet to see such an Energizer animal at store in Ohio. Seen only one Internet site with it.

To me, this means I can't return it if I don't like it, and it is an item I can only buy when I don't need it. Thus, as likely to build a better light from scratch . Next day or two day can be expensive.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I have yet to see such an Energizer animal at store in Ohio. Seen only one Internet site with it.

To me, this means I can't return it if I don't like it, and it is an item I can only buy when I don't need it. Thus, as likely to build a better light from scratch . Next day or two day can be expensive.

You can still return online orders. Most CPF'ers realize almost all good lights must be bought online. They have too small of a margin to carry them in B&M stores. There are a couple good reviews on the light, so you can find out much more about it than seeing it on a shelf.

MerlinXIX

Newly Enlightened
Grabbed one of these buggers recently in a small comparison of lower cost lights. I compared it up against the Coleman XR-E light that Walmart,etc... are stocking.

There is no way it is 140 Lumens. The XR-E was the same if not stronger than the Rem.

The diffusing lens that rotates seems pretty solid on my piece. However, I wouldn't go throwing rocks against it or anything.

I was also unhappy with the lack of instructions. For people who have never had anything to do with lights outside of your regular unscrew the bulb/body lights it could be extremely confusing.

I'm also not exactly a fan of having to click through the different settings on it to get what I want. The Coleman XR-E has a "slider" bar of sorts to get to what you want.

I really wanted to like this light but I'm not so sure anymore...

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grabbed one of these buggers recently in a small comparison of lower cost lights. I compared it up against the Coleman XR-E light that Walmart,etc... are stocking.

There is no way it is 140 Lumens. The XR-E was the same if not stronger than the Rem.

I don't have this light, but will note that I see people saying such if beam pattern isn't distributed the way they percieve as bright. The best way if you don't have a meter is to put a sheet of white paper over lens of each light. This eliminates most human bias. Then you will better see if one light is really brighter.

For me, both of my Coleman xr-e aren't as bright as my Brinkman lux 1's (40 lumen rating v. 105 lumen). I use them to paint and patch. For me, most skips and texture imperfections are of low contrast level enough that they disappear out of vision if eye moves 6 inches away or more (distance only means at 12 to15 foot the typical skip disappear totally out of vision, looking directly at skip; inverse square law applies to the eye ability to gather detail vision too.) Thus, I don't care about flood or spill as much as spot. And the coleman lights at walmart don't have much spot, by my standards. Except their 77 lumenish xr-c, which makes most other lights see in dim mode for me.

On the other hand I have seen throwers (energizer 2 aa hardcase) said to be dim by others, probably because they don't have much spill. I can see this, since if you are hiking through woods, you need more flood than spot.