Replacement for my PrincetonTec Yukon HL for camping and close reading

MrRalph

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, just came back from 3 weeks of camping and I realized I needed a new headlamp. My trusty PrincetonTec Yukon HL didn't work too well this year and broke 1 led. I always had troubles with the switch, so time for a new one.

What's very importance for me it that I can use it for close reading (without a hotspot present). And basic walking around the campsite with a floody beam (doesn't have to be -very- bright). Furthermore it really needs to be very durable and well constructed. Last but not least, it has to be very well attached to the headband. Either AA's or (1) CR123A's are acceptable.

I looked at the Black Diamond Spot but was not impressed by the plastic enclosure (looked a bit flimsy). I read good things on Zebralights but also that they are not very well attached to the headband (?). So, what's the ideal small(ish), well constructed headlamp that has both a good close reading mode and a floody beam for walking. I do not need a thrower or a light with a clear hot spot as I always have other handhelds for that :)

Thanks very much,

Ralph

meti

Newly Enlightened
My H600w is very well attached to the headband... i have to pull and turn a lot to get it out of the silicone holder... I think that the smaller H502w or and H52Fw will be almost the same and it's what you are searching, IMHO

Beaker

Newly Enlightened
Zebralights are bulletproof, and among the most robust small headlamps I've ever seen.

markr6

Flashaholic
Zebralight H600w comes with me backpacking every time. I don't need any bulky recharging gear or spare batteries since one lasts forever. But at 3 weeks, I would probably take an extra cell. Of course, I do carry a cheapo backup lighting source in case something happens.

Just as important, I can enjoy nature with the warmer neutral white tint instead of the usual ****s Sporting Goods lineup with purplish-blue tints.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you would love a Surefire Minimus. There are two versions: the standard Minimus comes in cool white, or the Minimus Vision comes in warm white. Complete flood, no throw or hotspot, and is built like a brick sh*t house so it should be reliable. I've been very happy with mine for over two years. It runs around 100 USD.

Latest posts