Replacing 47s Quark Mini 123

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
You likely already have to charge batteries all the time in Photography,I know I do for Event Work for sure so maybe this is not a big deal for you but to me the SC5 is also just bigger enough to be bad to EDC for me compared to the SC52.

One thing I do know for sure though is that if you get 1 ZL there will be more!

The SC5 is a non starter for me for a pocket light when there are smaller capable options.
Yes, as a photojournalist and a budding flashaholic, I've got a half dozen chargers going on my desk at all times.

Now that I've gotten used to the UI on my first ZL headlamp, I love the ability to program three modes and either long press to scroll through or access the exact mode I want with a button press or three. I do wish they were tail switched and of a more traditional and attractive form factor.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
PS, a few cons to the mini MKII:
* the level setup (low --> med --> high --> moonlight. as is set now) is not always consistent
* it is an optic light, not a reflectored one! Means more-or-less one wide beam, not main beam + spill around. It works good for intended use
* if one has Quarks than this one might be considered "warm".
But a bit on the green side (well, my bad, of course. Why do I order a light where there is no led tint named) :rolleyes:

There definitely is spill from the MkII optic, just the very wide, dimmer spill as most optics have. The tint is named on the website as 4750K and further defined as a 3D chromaticity bin in emailed sales media. You really can't be much more specific than that.

I agree with you on the inconsistency of level changes, however...

The sc52 can also run off 14500 but I don't know if that's any better than an eneloop.

I have an old quark 123 in cool white. Not sure how much i like the size anymore. Great little light but i prefer my quark x 123x2 neutral more. Just wish 4/7 would accommodate a 18mm cell although the rcr123 and 16340 have been working fine for my use

Best of luck in your decision. I'm on a hunt of my own to add a few more various brands/ sizes to the 2 quarks I currently own

Giving credit where credit is due. To be honest, the three on the left are PDH to find and only included for bragging rights. :p FourSevens currently offers three 18650 lights on their website.

~ Chance

yynkTH0.jpg

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
I personally carry an sc52d with a 14500 daily because I like carrying a very common cell format light. But if your choice is between 16340s in the 32 and eneloops in the 52 I would go with the 32w. The high in the 52d on eneloops was adequate but 14500s really woke it up. But with the 32w you get a higher high that runs longer due to thermal regulation which is much better than a 1 minute timed step down. It's also smaller obviously. Even if you would run the 52 on 14500s the 32 is still better in many ways.

Last edited:

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
Well I ordered a SC52w today with a couple 14500s. I may still order a SC32 and decide which I prefer.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You certainly won't be disappointed with your SC52w. I frequently carry one with 14500 and IMO, it's one of the best lights available on the market and seems to fit your requirements very well. I much prefer 14500/AA lights for their versatility and form factor.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
You certainly won't be disappointed with your SC52w. I frequently carry one with 14500 and IMO, it's one of the best lights available on the market and seems to fit your requirements very well. I much prefer 14500/AA lights for their versatility and form factor.

I'm afraid I know little about the 14500s and their advantages. I know that ZL says I'll get higher lumens for about a minute on high but are there advantages in lower modes and runtimes as well with this light?
I ordered a pair of Ecogear fx800 protected and am now wondering if that might have been a mistake?

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's usually advised that you stick to the "better" brands when buying Li-Ion batteries, such as AW, Keeppower, Orbtronic, etc, or at least try to find out what brand of cell a protected battery is built from, such as Panasonic or Sanyo.

Check out Selfbuilt's SC52 review for runtime comparisons with different cells: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...500)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO-and-more!

Basically the benefit is max Lumens with 14500 in the SC52. The difference in runtime from Eneloop to 14500 is minimal, and the runtime with Lithium primaries is best.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
It's usually advised that you stick to the "better" brands when buying Li-Ion batteries, such as AW, Keeppower, Orbtronic, etc, or at least try to find out what brand of cell a protected battery is built from, such as Panasonic or Sanyo.

Check out Selfbuilt's SC52 review for runtime comparisons with different cells: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...500)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO-and-more!

Basically the benefit is max Lumens with 14500 in the SC52. The difference in runtime from Eneloop to 14500 is minimal, and the runtime with Lithium primaries is best.

I figured I might be making a mistake when I order from Amazon as all my other cells are Sanyo or Panasonics but I'm having password issues with ZLs site. Crap b

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figured I might be making a mistake when I order from Amazon as all my other cells are Sanyo or Panasonics but I'm having password issues with ZLs site. Crap b

I have several of the ZL batteries and they are Sanyo 840ma according to the labels.
I like them just fine but I usually use throw away industrial Duracell because it is more practical for me for work.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
quoting is not working for me correctly atm, sorry

@Chance:Giving credit where credit is due. To be honest, the three on the left are PDH to find and only included for bragging rights. :p FourSevens currently offers three 18650 lights on their website.

~ Chance
Ok, you got me. Technically 2 with one discontinued model. I guess I really meant the Quark version/size. While we are at it, how do you like the MM-x,MMX-36, & MMR-x? Also for me personally, I prefer neutral tint which I do not believe they offer anymore for whatever reason.

I also want to check out the Nichia emitter based lights (at least 1, for comparison)

@Jleephoto:I figured I might be making a mistake when I order from Amazon as all my other cells are Sanyo or Panasonics but I'm having password issues with ZLs site.

Sorry, didn't mean to intrude, just kind of worked that way after posting an incorrect comment...hahaha. Congrats on getting the sc52

What did you order from Amazon?

I have some Aw's that I have left over from my attempt at vaping. Probably a good 4-5 yrs old if not slightly older. I'm not sure what's available in 14500, but I'd use AW or Sanyo/Panny. Keepower uses sanyo/panny as well as some of the others but they are typically higher in price. AW's are great but can be overpriced depending on size

Got to be careful on amazon and fleabay, otherwise I typically get batteries from rtd vapor. recently discovered IIumn, & liion wholesale. I'm sure there are other good places, but these seem to have the best prices. Although I ordered some 18650GA's from ZL when i ordered the sc600w mkIII HI. They were the same price basically.

I still need to look at the headlamp you recommended though. been all over the place reading/researching

Last edited:

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a pair of Ecogear fx800 protected and am now wondering if that might have been a mistake?

I ordered some ecogear because I didn't see any of my usual brands and at least they didn't end with "fire." Now I'm second guessing but I guess I'll give them a shot.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered some ecogear because I didn't see any of my usual brands and at least they didn't end with "fire." Now I'm second guessing but I guess I'll give them a shot.

I've never heard of those.

I've lost track of everything with all the reading/research ive been trying to do

What size batteries?

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
I've never heard of those.

I've lost track of everything with all the reading/research ive been trying to do

What size batteries?

I know what I mean. My head's spinning with specs of different lights and batteries now.
Those batteries are 14500s and I'd never heard of the brand either but reviews state The are at least getting 750mah from them. We will see.
I don't even have the new SC52 yet but I got the light mainly because it took AAs and I saw that as a diffency in my kit but I'm still thinking about a more direct replacement to my Quark123 and am debating between a high CRI Eagletac 25c or that ZL32. I like the UI of the ZL but prefer a tail clicky. Seems the lights are multiplying since I decided they needed an update a few months ago.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know what I mean. My head's spinning with specs of different lights and batteries now.
Those batteries are 14500s and I'd never heard of the brand either but reviews state The are at least getting 750mah from them. We will see.
I don't even have the new SC52 yet but I got the light mainly because it took AAs and I saw that as a diffency in my kit but I'm still thinking about a more direct replacement to my Quark123 and am debating between a high CRI Eagletac 25c or that ZL32. I like the UI of the ZL but prefer a tail clicky. Seems the lights are multiplying since I decided they needed an update a few months ago.

I hear you. Hopefully those batteries work for you. I read tgat they are a bit on the fat side, hopefully that won't be an issue.

I am so lost on what I'm looking for, haha. I did receive my zl sc600w mk3 hi nw and a fenix pd35tac yesterday. I now have 4 lights with 4 different tints and 3 different ui's.

The zl nw makes my nw quark 123x2 look cool white now. And my cool white quark 123 look horrible, hahaha.

I'm not sure how i feel about the side switch yet and the ui of the zl. Wish it could come on in moonlight or quick access to it. Overall a very good light though.

Fenix has almost a pure white but slight blue only when compared to the zl nw. Doesn't have moonlight mode which i hate. Also not sure about the dual switch setup.

I'm still a newb and don't know what's available. As far as your case, maybe the eagtac as you mentioned or an olight, although I don't know if olight has the tailswitch.

I agree that the tailswitch just seems best to me. You can always find tge switch right away without issue

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
I hear you.

I'm not sure how i feel about the side switch yet and the ui of the zl. Wish it could come on in moonlight or quick access to it. Overall a very good light though.

You're in luck. Simply hold the button from off to have the light come on and cycle through low-mid-high. You can program that low2 as low as you'd like and it will remember that mode. Once you get used to the ZL UI it seems ingenious to me.

quoting is not working for me correctly atm, sorry

@Chance:Giving credit where credit is due. To be honest, the three on the left are PDH to find and only included for bragging rights. :p FourSevens currently offers three 18650 lights on their website.

~ Chance
Ok, you got me. Technically 2 with one discontinued model. I guess I really meant the Quark version/size. While we are at it, how do you like the MM-x,MMX-36, & MMR-x? Also for me personally, I prefer neutral tint which I do not believe they offer anymore for whatever reason.

Bro! It wasn't a gotcha reply; I just like posting pictures of my lights. :) I have found some older model 4Sevens Neutral 18650 lights still for sale on the net. However, newer, neutral offerings from other manufacturers are probably a better choice. It's hard to go wrong with neutral tints.

As far as the 18650 Quark sized lights, there's just not enough room to facilitate 18MM. That's why 4Sevens stopped making them.

I like all of the three lights you listed above; each for a different reason and purpose. The 360 is probably my favorite, if I was given a Sophie's Choice situation. 18650 battery, bright, and simplistic to operate.

:oops: Sorry guys, I've gone off the rails. BOT

~ Chance

qEOH3DB.jpg

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bro! It wasn't a gotcha reply; I just like posting pictures of my lights. :) I have found some older model 4Sevens Neutral 18650 lights still for sale on the net. However, newer, neutral offerings from other manufacturers are probably a better choice. It's hard to go wrong with neutral tints.

As far as the 18650 Quark sized lights, there's just not enough room to facilitate 18MM. That's why 4Sevens stopped making them.

I like all of the three lights you listed above; each for a different reason and purpose. The 360 is probably my favorite, if I was given a Sophie's Choice situation. 18650 battery, bright, and simplistic to operate.

:oops: Sorry guys, I've gone off the rails. BOT

~ Chance

Thanks for getting back on this, I appreciate the info.

@Jlee, thanks, I did not know about that. Makes me like zl slightly more. You are also right, zl ui with tailswitch would be awesome.

Have you come up with anything new for quark replacement?

I'm now in search of a cheapish aaa/aa sm light for my younger son. Has to have tailswitch or side switch. Probably just moonlight, lmh. Probably look at 4/7, eagletac and olight, or ZL(almost forgot about zl)

Although he likes the lights that have blue accents on them, even the blue preon. Just not sure if i want to spend $40 as he is only 3.5 yrs old... Hahaha(mainly worried about him losing it)

Edit: why did 4/7 get rid of the aa/14500 quark? Maybe not as popular. Seems as though they should have kept it.

I chose the 123 because of output compared to aa being similar size, made more sense to me

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
... i prefer my quark x 123x2 neutral more. Just wish 4/7 would accommodate a 18mm cell although the rcr123 and 16340 have been working fine for my use

Get a Keeppower 16650 cell, quality Sanyo cell inside, twice the capacity of 2X16340 (not mention far safer) and plenty of amps to support max.

Edit: why did 4/7 get rid of the aa/14500 quark? Maybe not as popular. Seems as though they should have kept it.

I chose the 123 because of output compared to aa being similar size, made more sense to me

You can still get low voltage XPG2 Quark's (2AA and 1CR123) for ~$25 new in box from eBay (47s) before they're all gone - and then just Lego a AA body on. All the low voltage heads are all compatible with 1-4.2v. I like running them on a 16650 off grid camping, since you can fit any AA/14500 or CR123/16340 (w/tinfoil spacers) in a pinch.

Long story short, Surefire sued the twisty head Quarks out of existence (since 47s is US domicile).

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the SC52W powered with a 14500 Li-Ion is practically the perfect EDC light. Small and lightweight. You can quickly and easily go from OFF directly to low, medium, or high, as you wish. Beam is excellent. Output is fantastic. Tint color is beautifully magnificent. Side switch is very ergonomic to the thumb and easy to find by feel. Tail stands. Great pocket clip. Deep bezel-down pocket carry. Excellent build quality & reliability. Runs on 4.2v 14500 or 1.5v Eneloop or primary. There is just so much that is GREAT about this light. They're not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Last edited: