Replacing 47s Quark Mini 123

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a Keeppower 16650 cell, quality Sanyo cell inside, twice the capacity of 2X16340 (not mention far safer) and plenty of amps to support max.

You can still get low voltage XPG2 Quark's (2AA and 1CR123) for ~$25 new in box from eBay (47s) before they're all gone - and then just Lego a AA body on. All the low voltage heads are all compatible with 1-4.2v. I like running them on a 16650 off grid camping, since you can fit any AA/14500 or CR123/16340 (w/tinfoil spacers) in a pinch.

Long story short, Surefire sued the twisty head Quarks out of existence (since 47s is US domicile).
This is what I was going to recommend to Jlee as well. I think the fenix, orbtronic among others use the same cell or at least same quality of cell. Or maybe I was thinking of the 14500 cells, but either way. I just didn't want to say anything cause I thought he already had a certain battery he uses but couldn't get it this time(or at least not when he wanted)

Thanks, for some reason I didn't think much about looking on ebay. This will probably be a good idea for my current quark 123 as I damaged the edge of the head and part of the oring is coming out on the lens side.

Also thanks for the info. Good idea on the 16650, I did not realize they had that much capacity. the only drawback would be lower output cause we would be dropping from 7.2v to 3.7v but for runtime it would be quite a bit better

I think the SC52W powered with a 14500 Li-Ion is practically the perfect EDC light. Small and lightweight. You can quickly and easily go from OFF directly to low, medium, or high, as you wish. Beam is excellent. Output is fantastic. Tint color is beautifully magnificent. Side switch is very ergonomic to the thumb and easy to find by feel. Tail stands. Great pocket clip. Deep bezel-down pocket carry. Excellent build quality & reliability. Runs on 4.2v 14500 or 1.5v Eneloop or primary. There is just so much that is GREAT about this light. They're not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

This is what the op has coming in the mail. and you are very correct about zebralight. I know the op prefers the tailswitch. I could probably go either way but am more used to tailswitch as well. I am liking my SC600w mkIII HI very much though. Kind of wish ZL was into some sizes a bit larger though. For example, something like the Fenix pd35tac I picked up. I think for me and a edc up to around 5" in length and 1" dia is about max. Maybe up to 1.25" head dia. On this note: I mentioned to the op I thought eagtac had a light similar to the pd35 but with moonlight mode; apparently I was mistaken.

I think the OP and I both wished we had more knowledge as some of you. I can see collecting quite a few lights to find the ones we really like, then having to resell the ones we don't. At least he knows pretty much what he wants. I'm a mess and am looking at all sorts of lights of different sizes, battery sizes (mainly 123,123x2/18650) I'm also fighting emitters, I think I definitely want neutral white (definitely no more than near pure white) but I also am looking at both cree and Nichia. and now there are more lights coming out with the XHP35, compared to all the other cree emitters already on the market. It's definitely a never ending battle. Many people know exactly what they like or don't like from experience. I guess in time from trying various lights, emitters, etc. we will get to that same point eventually as well...hahaha

I would start my own thread, but I don't even know what I'm looking for exactly. Just doing a bunch of reading, trying to learn, and occasionally stopping by a thread like this and trying to post on topic. Sorry Lee, keep getting off track

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
has your sc52w arrived yet? Also have you found anything else similar to the quark? I haven't had time to look but I'm thinking the only other option would be to try the eagtac d25c.
The only other option possibly but probably not economical would be to get a new quark but use an older body. You used to be able to buy ea part separately, not sure if they do that anymore. That would give you an updated quark in the size you are looking for, I think. although you would be stuck with the newer ui which I don't think you liked as much

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
has your sc52w arrived yet? Also have you found anything else similar to the quark? I haven't had time to look but I'm thinking the only other option would be to try the eagtac d25c.

Thanks for asking. The SC52w should arrive today so I'll give my first impressions in comparison tonight.

I do think that the Eagletac d25c would probably be the closest to a direct replacement of my old Quark123 but the UI sounds more complicated and confusing than I'd prefer. Both that and the Sunwayman V11R are on my short lists to try.

Interesting how taste and preference changes over time with use of many different lights.

I think I went through about 30 quality pocket knives before finally deciding the Sebenza would be my daily carry. But I'm glad I went through the process as I've learned to appreciate it more.

I expect I'll ultimately end up with an HDS Rotary especially if they ever release a smaller version (a little more mass than I'd prefer) but I'm enjoying the search for now.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems the lights are multiplying since I decided they needed an update a few months ago.

I think that happens to all of us. Sometimes I just have to "step away" from CPF for a while, and I've done that many times over the years with CPF and other EDC/tool sites. It's hard to determine what you really want until they're put to use, right?

I expect I'll ultimately end up with an HDS Rotary especially if they ever release a smaller version (a little more mass than I'd prefer) but I'm enjoying the search for now.

That's not likely to happen. Henry's lights have grown larger over the years (at least since Novatac), and it's partly that mass that makes them "bomb proof". Much of the real estate is there for cell/circuitry/optics impact protection, and that's one thing the compact designs such as Zebralight, Olight, etc. sacrifice in their lights.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for asking. The SC52w should arrive today so I'll give my first impressions in comparison tonight.

I do think that the Eagletac d25c would probably be the closest to a direct replacement of my old Quark123 but the UI sounds more complicated and confusing than I'd prefer. Both that and the Sunwayman V11R are on my short lists to try.

Interesting how taste and preference changes over time with use of many different lights.

I think I went through about 30 quality pocket knives before finally deciding the Sebenza would be my daily carry. But I'm glad I went through the process as I've learned to appreciate it more.

Yeah, I was looking at the d25c again today to see if they had any of the 4k nichia ones in stock. Was also looking at the specs on it and noticed that it is almost a direct replacement with a ui almost identical but more options. I think.
d25c is around 1/4" shorter. One thing that I dislike about the 25 c is the clip, I really am not a fan of the screw in clips (kind of looks like an afterthought, imo). 4/7 has a much better approach on the clip.

We seem to have similar hobbies/taste. I while ago I started buying a bunch of knives myself. Mainly spyderco (partly) because they are located here in Colorado where I live, benchmade, and ended with my Sebenza and Mnandi (mammoth tusk)
I sold most of my spyderco's and benchmades. I probably had a good 50+ knives.

I now have just a handful of spyderco's, the sebenza (w/wood inlays) and the Mnandi. My latest knives are some traditionals. I do not uses knives too much now, so the traditionals are my edc and cover my tasks. I honestly have not even used y Chris reeve knives (just initially to test/open mail) At some point, I will put them to use. I personally like the older sebenza better, I would get one but they are going for way too much for my taste. I believe the one I like is called a sebenza annual (can't recall) I just love the overall design much better

I'd love to have an HDS as well, but they are way too costly for my taste. If they had higher output, then maybe. $280-$330 for a tiny light is way too much for me. Even in the used market they are selling for near new prices from what I have seen. They do seem like a quality USA product with a unique design though. I'm not into cool white and for some reason their Nichia is only capable of 200lm (slightly out of date imo)
Maybe the HDS is kind of like Sebenza compared to other knives/ A cheap $60 light can do the same as the $300 HDS but the quality is probably much better with the HDS (as the same with a typical knife similar to a sebenza but the Sebenza is higher quality with insane tolerances, etc)

Comes down to what ea person wants and finds justifiable. Well, I can't wait to hear what your thoughts are on the sc52w. We already know you like the (H) series headlamp.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that happens to all of us. Sometimes I just have to "step away" from CPF for a while, and I've done that many times over the years with CPF and other EDC/tool sites. It's hard to determine what you really want until they're put to use, right?

That's not likely to happen. Henry's lights have grown larger over the years (at least since Novatac), and it's partly that mass that makes them "bomb proof". Much of the real estate is there for cell/circuitry/optics impact protection, and that's one thing the compact designs such as Zebralight, Olight, etc. sacrifice in their lights.

I agree, This is what I have to do when I get on my various forums. When I start to get out of control, I have to disappear for a very long while (yr or 2 if not more). It's also true that we have to try a bunch of items to find what we really like/want. it's hard to judge off of pics, information and another's opinion
s by themselves.

The last part of what you said brings to my point of what I mentioned about the sebenza. Thanks for that. Still not sure if they are for me at that price but I'd love to check one out.
After seeing this post, I went back to the HDS site. It appears that the HDS in your case cr123, is less than a 1/4" longer than the quark (at least compared to the one I have) I am not sure about diameter though, guessing it is fairly close as well.

One day, I may just take the plunge to check one out and hopefully love it for this particular sized light. That is one thing I'd like is for a tough light. My quark was with a bunch of tools once when I was working on my truck. For whatever reason I stepped on the piles of tools and it broke a piece off of the bezel. So now part of the oring is coming out from around the lens. Not much durability from the quark. I feel that If I accidentally dropped one, it would not handle the abuse well compared to a more durable light like the HDS

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
After seeing this post, I went back to the HDS site. It appears that the HDS in your case cr123, is less than a 1/4" longer than the quark (at least compared to the one I have) I am not sure about diameter though, guessing it is fairly close as well.

While the specs may be close, my CR123 Quark feels much smaller to me in my front pocket than my HDS. This is mostly due to the diameter though, as I frequently carry longer 14500 lights that are more comfortable than the HDS. I carry a 14500 Quark tactical more than anything else.

I agree, This is what I have to do when I get on my various forums. When I start to get out of control, I have to disappear for a very long while (yr or 2 if not more).

I go through an annual "rotation". I'm usually active on the knife/tool forums in the temperate months and trade that for CPF during the longer nights of winter. I do a similar thing trading other hobbies as well. I think I have been on at least as 2-year hiatus from CPF on this go-around though, and I don't really feel like I've missed much. If you did that 10 years ago, it seems you would miss much more due to the rapid growth of the technology back then.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the specs may be close, my CR123 Quark feels much smaller to me in my front pocket than my HDS. This is mostly due to the diameter though, as I frequently carry longer 14500 lights that are more comfortable than the HDS. I carry a 14500 Quark tactical more than anything else.

I go through an annual "rotation". I'm usually active on the knife/tool forums in the temperate months and trade that for CPF during the longer nights of winter. I do a similar thing trading other hobbies as well. I think I have been on at least as 2-year hiatus from CPF on this go-around though, and I don't really feel like I've missed much. If you did that 10 years ago, it seems you would miss much more due to the rapid growth of the technology back then.

Ok, I either have to stay away from you guys or watch what I say. After Jlee's mention of HDS and your added input, I went back to research more on it....Now I think I really want one regardless of price.

I watched a video and it said the diameter for the cr123a was 1", don't think JLee will like that so much. It doesn't look that big in the pics. I don't mind it so much but I can see where others would feel differently. I have never really liked the aaa/aa lights just because of output; not enough for what I initially got my lights for. Things are definitely better now though but still not sure If I have any interest but I may eventually end up with one to pay with or keep around the house for small area use. I think my main thought is that I do not want a bunch of different lights when I could just have 2-3 to cover my needs. However there may not be anything wrong with 2-3 of ea either from different brands; for rotation purposes I suppose and/or backup.

Now I'm torn between the Rotary and Tactical, along with 123 & 18650. I can see good and bad for ea. and I feel that the emitters are designed specifically for the cr123 and not the 18650. The 18650 should be capable of more than 200lm for the nw nichia and 325lm for cw. Even 325lm seems behind the times, but useable. The main advantage of the 18650 at this point is just longer runtime from what I can tell. The nichia should be able to put out 275 on a cr123a and more on a 18650
I plan to ask a few questions in the HDS thread.

archimedes

Flashaholic
HDS aren't about maximum output. Never have been.

I still use my 170T most every day, and see no need to "upgrade" ....

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can understand this and think I saw quite a few people in the HDS thread say similar. I may just be brainwashed, but I do not think 170-200lm is adequate for my full spectrum of daily use. I could be wrong.

My current 4/7 quarks are rated at a max 260 on one I believe and the other is like 380 iirc and has been plenty for the most part but on many occasions not.

I'm not trying to light up the side of a mountain, but these also do not clearly light up an area/distance as claimed either. Maybe I do not understand how these other companies accomplish the higher output lights. Are they all over driven? I know Henry doesn't believe in that method among others and probably for very good reason. I will admit that I do not know anything when it comes to emitters/ drivers etc, and making it all work. I just go off of what I find around the forums, etc

I travel the country daily as I drive a semi, and stop at rest areas, etc to let the dog out and run around. Some of these areas are big and get pretty dark. I just feel like I could use a bit more than what I have. I also thought that the HDS would be an excellent replacement to my 4/7's. I still plan to buy one and I also plan to get a few other lights to have options for different environments.

Funny thing about it all and was also mentioned in the HDS thread among other places; is that we used to be pretty limited on output on a flashlight and it was all good, now many of us feel that it just isn't enough. I guess that's part of adapting to the fast change in technology and is what becomes the norm for many of us.(which is kind of related to my brainwashing comment.

Thank you for your input. I will probably see you over in the HDS thread. I have a couple of questions before I place an order.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
HDS aren't about maximum output...
I know this is true and got by for a lot of years on lessor lumens, that said I don't think anyone would complain about more.

I looked into the HDS Rotary because I've enjoyed my old Surefire Ultra2 control ring so much over the years (clipped to a tac vest pouch) and I think this is an even better implementation, but am afraid that I wouldn't carry anything larger than the Quark123 in my pocket.

I did carry the Q123 Neutral for a year or so in the pocket but have come to rely on a Maratac AAA on a keychain for the last year and was hoping to find a more full featured EDC and that I would actually get back pocket carry. Pocket space is a premium for me with a knife clipped in my right front so was hoping to find something that would carry loose well.

I got the SC52w today and my first impressions are:
-Smaller than I initially thought and very close in size to the old quark.
- Very impressed with the tint/beam characteristics over the Q123. I'm not a tint snob but this is much less yellow and a very natural tint that I would expect from a 4400k. The hotspots enough for decent throw and the spill is even. Really like the characteristics.
-Brighter on the high end and great UI that lets me dial in just the right amount on the lower end of the scale.
-Amazingly functional for a AA light and I always have a few extra Eneloops in my camera bag.

Its gonna take me a while to get used to a side switch and only time will tell how I like carrying this light loose in a pocket but I'm looking forward to giving it a fair shot.

Overall, I think it's a good replacement for the old Q123 as it has better tint, an awesome UI, and runs on more common batteries. Feels like a win right now.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
I'd love to have an HDS as well, but they are way too costly for my taste.
Maybe the HDS is kind of like Sebenza compared to other knives
Seems like an apt comparison.
I've found I can justify the higher price for tools that I use and appreciate day in and out over a long course of time. That is the case for me with my Sebenzas but I did have to go through many variations to finally settle on a small 21 Insingo. In fact I may end up trading one of the larges for an HDS eventually but am in no big hurry.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is true and got by for a lot of years on lessor lumens, that said I don't think anyone would complain about more.

I looked into the HDS Rotary because I've enjoyed my old Surefire Ultra2 control ring so much over the years (clipped to a tac vest pouch) and I think this is an even better implementation, but am afraid that I wouldn't carry anything larger than the Quark123 in my pocket.

I did carry the Q123 Neutral for a year or so in the pocket but have come to rely on a Maratac AAA on a keychain for the last year and was hoping to find a more full featured EDC and that I would actually get back pocket carry. Pocket space is a premium for me with a knife clipped in my right front so was hoping to find something that would carry loose well.

- Very impressed with the tint/beam characteristics over the Q123. I'm not a tint snob but this is much less yellow and a very natural tint that I would expect from a 4400k. The hotspots enough for decent throw and the spill is even. Really like the characteristics.
-Brighter on the high end and great UI that lets me dial in just the right amount on the lower end of the scale.
-Amazingly functional for a AA light and I always have a few extra Eneloops in my camera bag.

Its gonna take me a while to get used to a side switch and only time will tell how I like carrying this light loose in a pocket but I'm looking forward to giving it a fair shot.

Overall, I think it's a good replacement for the old Q123 as it has better tint, an awesome UI, and runs on more common batteries. Feels like a win right now.
Nice, I am glad to hear that your first impressions are good. I hope that you will like it enough to use it long term or until you find something closer to what you really were looking for initially. I found my sc600 to be like you find your sc52 (just it obviously bigger) I do not physically carry a flashlight on me at all times, although there are many times I wish I did. I typically just have them readily available. Although when I was still in construction(underground utilities) a few years back, I carried both of mine every day to use at work. only needed at night now.

Seems like an apt comparison.
I've found I can justify the higher price for tools that I use and appreciate day in and out over a long course of time. That is the case for me with my Sebenzas but I did have to go through many variations to finally settle on a small 21 Insingo. In fact I may end up trading one of the larges for an HDS eventually but am in no big hurry.

I was never big on larger knives but that is good that you have one that you can trade when you are ready.

best of luck with everything, and hope to see you around for a bit until I spend too much and have to bail from the forums to stay out of trouble. Probably won't be too long before that happens...hahaha. take care and thank you for your feedback.

Oh...I've been meaning to ask: do you still have your quark and were just looking for something new or did something happen to it and it needed to be replaced?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, the SC52W is a superb light with so many wonderful qualities. And when you see the output with a 14500 Li-Ion, that really impresses. I use a couple of SC51W lights around the house and they're equally great, but with much less output. The SC52W really kicks up the power factor. I have an SC62W on order (don't know what's taking ZL so long to deliver?) and I'm really looking forward to that light, myself.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
JLee, since you have some experience and helped me the other day; is there a way to set these so it comes on in low or med rather than hi all the time? Reason why I ask is cause my 3-1/2 yr old like to play with my lights. As you know our 4/7's always com on in moonlight. If he plays with my light when i'm not watching (I know horrible parent) i dont want hime to hurt himself looking at the light. He tends to turn them on and look at the lens/beam directly. He is pretty aware and i keep telling him not to look into it cause it could hurt him, but kids don't always listen. Just want to see if it could be changed for safety and security.

Thanks, otherwise I will eventually get of my lazy butt and take a look at the programming instructions

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
JLee, since you have some experience and helped me the other day; is there a way to set these so it comes on in low or med rather than hi all the time?

Thanks, otherwise I will eventually get of my lazy butt and take a look at the programming instructions

A press of the button for .5 sec should start on low. Press and hold to ramp through L-m-h. I suspect a 3.5 year old will catch on pretty quick.

Do read the programming instructions though as these really get impressive when you get them programmed as you wish.

Yes, I still have my Quark123. It's treated me well over the years.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
JLee, since you have some experience and helped me the other day; is there a way to set these so it comes on in low or med rather than hi all the time? Reason why I ask is cause my 3-1/2 yr old like to play with my lights. As you know our 4/7's always com on in moonlight. If he plays with my light when i'm not watching (I know horrible parent) i dont want hime to hurt himself looking at the light. He tends to turn them on and look at the lens/beam directly. He is pretty aware and i keep telling him not to look into it cause it could hurt him, but kids don't always listen. Just want to see if it could be changed for safety and security.

There is no real way to be sure the kid will not get High every time unless you unscrew the tail cap before he gets the light or just do not let him get the light.
A long press from off goes straight to Low but that hardly prevents a child from looking into too bright a beam.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you are talking about the SC52w you can reprogram H2 to the lowest setting of 108 lumens. That's still bright, but much better than H1. In high double click 6 times to get into programming, then double click to go to the next mode. Once you get to the lowest mode just turn it off. Then go to high and make sure you are in H2.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never really liked the aaa/aa lights just because of output; not enough for what I initially got my lights for.

I carry Li-Ion mostly, and the 14500 has more capacity than 16340. I prefer the thinner AA form factor for carry and that AA lights will accept a much wider range of cell chemistries. 200 Lumens is plenty for me, and saome AA/14500 lights available today are capable of much more than that.

+1!! Actually, that applies to any EDC light for me. I still get by just fine with ~50 lumens or less for the vast majority of my needs. My HDS is a 170T as well, and likewise I have no desire to "upgrade". I prefer the design of the clicky to the rotary for various reasons.

There is no real way to be sure the kid will not get High every time unless you unscrew the tail cap before he gets the light or just do not let him get the light.
A long press from off goes straight to Low but that hardly prevents a child from looking into too bright a beam.

^This. I would lock it out.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
A press of the button for .5 sec should start on low. Press and hold to ramp through L-m-h. I suspect a 3.5 year old will catch on pretty quick.

Do read the programming instructions though as these really get impressive when you get them programmed as you wish.

Yes, I still have my Quark123. It's treated me well over the years.
Thanks, you already mentioned this. I meant from the normal single click on. default is set to high. Yes, he is a pretty quick learner.

Thanks. for the most part it is not an issue as i am typically only home once a month. But during the past week being home for the holidays, he wanted to check them out. I've been leaving them on the table which is my own fault but he starts playing with them. Kids are capable of more than we think.

If you are talking about the SC52w you can reprogram H2 to the lowest setting of 108 lumens. That's still bright, but much better than H1. In high double click 6 times to get into programming, then double click to go to the next mode. Once you get to the lowest mode just turn it off. Then go to high and make sure you are in H2.
In my case, I was refering to the sc600w MKIII hi, but sounds right. thanks

I carry Li-Ion mostly, and the 14500 has more capacity than 16340. I prefer the thinner AA form factor for carry and that AA lights will accept a much wider range of cell chemistries. 200 Lumens is plenty for me, and saome AA/14500 lights available today are capable of much more than that.
Thanks, i will have another look