Review: Convoy L6 (XHP-70, 2x26650)

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait... how are the cell sizes varying so much? I thought 26650 designated the cell has to be exactly 65mm long?

stephenk

Enlightened
Wait... how are the cell sizes varying so much? I thought 26650 designated the cell has to be exactly 65mm long?
"Standardised" Li-ion cell sizes are not that standardised. In addition, the design of the protection circuit, and number of wrappings can also have significant effects on cell size.

firsttothescene

Enlightened
L6 arrived today (5 days from China to Wisconsin!), sadly no batteries yet. Waiting on the 2015 keeppowers to arrive at illumn. Unless anyone knows where to get them elsewhere?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
L6 arrived today (5 days from China to Wisconsin!), sadly no batteries yet. Waiting on the 2015 keeppowers to arrive at illumn. Unless anyone knows where to get them elsewhere?

I bought mine 2015 keeppowers at Banggood. They did quite a while to arrive, so you might be better off waiting for them to arrive in the states.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. Do you think the fenix would work as well (70.5 mm)

I think someone said that they would, but I wanted to get the ones that were recommended for the light itself. I will say, I just charged them up and used it for a minute and I couldn't be more impressed!!!!!!! The L6 has the smoothest beam I have ever seen! I'm gonna test it later on tonight in my homemade lightbox and compare it to my Nitecore TM03.

firsttothescene

Enlightened
I think someone said that they would, but I wanted to get the ones that were recommended for the light itself. I will say, I just charged them up and used it for a minute and I couldn't be more impressed!!!!!!! The L6 has the smoothest beam I have ever seen! I'm gonna test it later on tonight in my homemade lightbox and compare it to my Nitecore TM03.
I can't wait to fire mine up.

gammaray1965

Newly Enlightened
Great light.

I also wondered about the 32650s vs 26650s, I've got two Mag Mods that run on 32650s, ~3 years and still fully charged on the first one. Yeah and Feilongs are the only ones I've come across. I did have a Mac's triple triple with high output, the MKNE 26650s IMRs didn't do justice to the light, the Feilong 32650s were NOTICEABLY brighter.

Hi nfetterly!

I see that you have some maglites that use the 32650's. I have a few Mag's myself and was thinking on modifying them with led's. I had made some aluminum heat sinks years back on my lathe when I did a few mods to the C and D sizes. That was when the seoul emitters were considered bright back then..hehehe.. I actually want to get back into doing some mods, perhaps using the high lumen output crees. I haven't looked at the dimensions on the 32650's, but perhaps you can tell me if they would fit in a mag, or do I need to bore out the inside a little. Thanks!

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast

26650 describes only the unprotected cell. The protected battery has a very small (coin-sized) circuit board stuck on one end that cuts off discharging below a certain voltage and charging above a certain voltage. That adds a couple mm, depending on the manufacturer. You don't see it because it's hidden by the wrapper, and metal plated on the exposed end to provide an electrical contact.

Vol

Newly Enlightened
26650 describes only the unprotected cell. The protected battery has a very small (coin-sized) circuit board stuck on one end that cuts off discharging below a certain voltage and charging above a certain voltage. That adds a couple mm, depending on the manufacturer. You don't see it because it's hidden by the wrapper, and metal plated on the exposed end to provide an electrical contact.

Not actually almost all non protected 26650 batteries are over 65mm

The designer of this light dropped the ball when it was designed and recommended for a protected cell...specifically saying a keeppower protected 26650 that is mysteriously 69.5mm

I call this light a scam.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how often do you see differently discharged batteries in a pair? Why do you try to shove unshovable? I guess a couple of good quality IMRs (they are always unprotected) would settle the size problem forever.

Vol

Newly Enlightened
They are 65 mm long initially. But when you attach protection circuit, they are no more.

The protection circuit has nothing to do with it. Have you shopped for a 26650 lately...unprotected?

gammaray1965

Newly Enlightened

The designer of this light dropped the ball when it was designed and recommended for a protected cell...specifically saying a keeppower protected 26650 that is mysteriously 69.5mm

Why would you say this light is a scam? The battery specs on this Convoy L6 can accept a maximum length of 70mm. The KeepPower 26650's I have seen are 69.5mm and most of the other brands of 26650 are on average around 68mm. Perhaps you have the OP confused with the manufacturer!

stephenk

Enlightened
Why would you say this light is a scam? The battery specs on this Convoy L6 can accept a maximum length of 70mm. The KeepPower 26650's I have seen are 69.5mm and most of the other brands of 26650 are on average around 68mm. Perhaps you have the OP confused with the manufacturer!
Vol seems to have deleted his unjustified "scam" comments.

It has to be considered that in a two cell tube, the springs have to cope with double the variation in allowable cell sizes. In this case 10mm. Thus due to engineering principles there will be a limited length range (5mm) of suitable cells. I personally had no problem getting hold of the 69.5mm Keeppower 5200mAh protected 26650 cells in Australia.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vol seems to have deleted his unjustified "scam" comments...

It's still there.

You make a good point about the battery differences being multipled. However, more cells are readily available in the 68-72mm range, so I think it would've been better for it to work in that range instead of 65-70mm. Still a great light and not a scam, but could've been a little bit better.