Review: Mollelight. Pentagon vs Energizer

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I picked up a Pentagon Mollelight a year ago from a member here. As some of you know, Pentagon lights are out of business and the Molle light is no longer made. Well then stepped in Energizer with their military line Hardcase and made their own version of the Mollelight called the Romeo.

csc_0110.jpg

csc_0111.jpg

They are very similar. They both have colored filters red and blue for the Romeo and only red for the Pentagon. Both have pocket clips but the Romeo has magnets. The Pentagon light has a compass in the tailcap, but needs to be removed to work properly. The battery can deviate the compass.

The pocket clip of the Romeo can be put onto the Pentagonlight but it is really tight. The diameter of the body, where the clips attach, is wider on the Pentagon Light.

csc_0112.jpg

csc_0113.jpg

I switched the pocket clips.
csc_0114.jpg

Beamshot. I had Datiled mod my Pentagonlight with a warm Nichia. It is an awesome beam.

csc_0115.jpg

csc_0116.jpg

One thing that the Pentagon light can do is actually fit in the Molle strip. The Romeo is too fat to do this.
csc_0117.jpg

Ii got the Romeo light for $22.49 from Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IF5ZDA/?tag=cpf0b6-20

So which do I like? Hard to say. The Pentagon light has a metal body. and feels better built than the Romeo. However the Romeo is cheaper and more readily available. The magnets are a nifty gimmick but I dont think I will use them.

I say get the Romeo. Not for the retail of $39.99 though. That is a bit much.

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting the comparison.

I use the magnetic clip on the Energizer Romeo frequently when doing home and car maintenance. I stuck the light to my SUV's steel trailer hitch the other night while working in a darkened garage.

The ability to rotate the clip in any position lets one aim the light effectively. You can lay the Romeo down on a table and point the beam just about anywhere, even at the ceiling -- the equivalent of "tail standing" a conventional flashlight.

The on/off switch on both these lights is located on top of the light which is very convenient to use -- easier to operate than a tail cap switch on a conventional flashlight.

The wide hot spot but limited range places the Energizer Romeo more in the category of an indoor or task light. It is definitely not a "thrower."

energizer-romeo1.jpg

energizer-romeo2.jpg

Last edited:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see where the magnet would be handy. Something the Pentagon cant do. I would have preferred the Romeo to have a compass as well. Then it would be the better of the two.

No the tailcaps are not swappable.

I dont like the Romeo's filter threads. it is just one circle of threads. not multiple threads. Seems like a possible weakness. Oh yeah and the filters are not swappable.

Last edited:

wheel

Newly Enlightened
What about using Sanyo Eneloops 2000 mAH? Do you think the light would handle that battery?

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does look like a nifty little light, but as you said, not at that price. Maybe $5-$10. You can get a decent used Zebra off the Marketplace for $40.

Thanks.

wheel

Newly Enlightened
I am a big fan of the pentagon molle light and was excited to see this post. I was not aware of the energizer but I now have two on the way for $22.49 each. I know, I could have almost purchased the ultimate ZL, king of all lights according to the forum. I have them also, but there are situations where the old Molle light and now maybe the energizer may be beneficial. Maybe someone can relate to this: Dark, blowing sand, very unfriendly place, heavy firefights all afternoon, cloud cover with no air support, unable to move and you find yourself with 10 empty 5.56 mags. Pull out the old poncho and cover yourself, place the ammo box between your legs and reach down and hit the button on the ugly, low lumen, artifact filled beam pentagon molle that is fastened to a molle loop on your chest. Plenty of light to conduct your business without 500 lumens leaching through the poncho to be picked by night systems 300 yards all around you. I could go on forever, but the Molle has a special place in my flashlight collection. My 86 year old mother chose the molle over anything else I could give her for a handy flashlight to keep with her at all time since she lives alone. Unfortunately she left an alkaline battery in the light and it leaked and ruined the molle. You can still buy the pentagon version at a high price from some who want to make a good profit, but I am hoping the energizer will be a good replacement as I ready for another vacation to a very unfriendly place away from home.

wheel

Newly Enlightened
Solscud007, Tell me how you had the pentagon modded with the warm tint beam. I want to see if both of the Romeo's can be modded like that. That is a better beam for what I will use the light for. Thanks

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wheel, what did your mom do with the ruined pentagon light? Ask Datiled, he did the mod. He sold one in the marketplace and I pmed him.

wheel

Newly Enlightened
Wheel, what did your mom do with the ruined pentagon light? Ask Datiled, he did the mod. He sold one in the marketplace and I pmed him.

She still is using it. I tried everything to get the battery out, finally had to pry from the bottom and finally got it to release. While doing that, I broke off two pieces that contained threads. Cleaned it out real good and it works. I can screw the bottom cap back on even with the two pieces missing. Looks Kinda bad ut it works and she really likes it.