Review: Olight S1R (2016.10.05 updated with info on new S1R version)

sbslider

Enlightened
Re: Review: Olight S1R

Wow, what a great review. It satisfied one itch of mine, which is to know how much current is demanded from the battery in the various modes. But it also raised another, how did you go about measuring the current? I know with the DVM I have, trying to measure the current ALWAYS changes the performance of the light, as the impedance of the meter is so high. In general I resort to using a laboratory type power supply at work. I would be curious to know how you accomplished this here.

sbslider

Enlightened

Thank you for the reference, I have read that and find it informative. But it does not answer the question, which is how did YOU go about measuring the current?

Measuring from 0.002A to 2.8A is a large range, and could be accomplished in several ways. When I have made current measurements on lights I have used a calibrated laboratory DC power supply. This allows me to vary the input to the light (simulating the various battery voltages encountered during use) and can be done with just two hands. It lacks resolution at the low current end, that is I could never resolve 1.8mA due to the measurement resolution of my power supply. I could add a current meter in series, but have never bothered.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened

my meter supports measurement in μA to 10A range. Not ultra accurate tho, but I get by with multiple meters reading to cross check the results.
I record the measurement as soon as I can get a stable reading from the meter, don't have any bench meter nor any sophisticated setup to do plot reading of Voltage vs Current or to simulate Time vs Voltage vs Current, tho I wish I have. :D

sbslider

Enlightened

Thanks for the details. I have a similar type meter, and got measurements that are in the ball park with what you got. Some of mine were a bit lower, others a bit higher. For S1R Turbo S users, I did measure the 600 lumen current at about 1.8A. Guessing that, along with the 2.8A reading you got for 900 lumens, are a bit on the high side due to the meter impedance lowering the voltage to the light.

Making a measurement with a laboratory DC power supply like I described above could be a bit tricky due to the access to the negative terminal being down inside the light, but I may give it a try next week at work.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the details. I have a similar type meter, and got measurements that are in the ball park with what you got. Some of mine were a bit lower, others a bit higher. For S1R Turbo S users, I did measure the 600 lumen current at about 1.8A. Guessing that, along with the 2.8A reading you got for 900 lumens, are a bit on the high side due to the meter impedance lowering the voltage to the light.

Making a measurement with a laboratory DC power supply like I described above could be a bit tricky due to the access to the negative terminal being down inside the light, but I may give it a try next week at work.

S1R has negative and positive on the same side. So you don't have to dig deep, just use the - on the top around the +

sbslider

Enlightened

S1R has negative and positive on the same side. So you don't have to dig deep, just use the - on the top around the +

Well, I was planning on using my laboratory DC power supply to provide power to the light, not the RCR 16340 battery. But you make a good point. I can access the negative input to the light through the battery, and apply the positive side to the exposed aluminum . This could make applying the voltage a lot easier then trying to connect down inside the body as I had originally planned.

Thanks for the suggestion!! I just tried this out with an older power supply I have at home in low mode and it worked just fine. :)

sbslider

Enlightened

So, if you want to put a bit of charge into your life, and you are willing to take a chance, see what you feel like when you put your tongue on the tail of a S1R. Reminiscent of the 9V alkaline trick . . . :nana:

surefire7

Newly Enlightened

Sorry for the question, I'm a newb to this light. Can I use the charger that came with my mini (two magnetic caps that attach to the battery) to charge this S1R? It was a Christmas present. Thanks for the info!

sbslider

Enlightened

I would say 98% chance that you can charge your ORB 163C05 battery outside the S1R with your mini charger. So long as the charger you reference does not short out the + and - terminals on the + end of the battery you should be good.

I think it is high unlikely you could charge the referenced battery inside your S1R.

sbslider

Enlightened

Thought I would post this also, just a reference for those who use the S1R and have access to a volt meter, you can estimate remaining battery capacity by measuring the resting voltage of the battery. Resting voltage would be the light has not been turned on to a mode higher than moonlight for say 20-30 minutes or more.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-IMR-RCR123A&p=5166812&viewfull=1#post5166812

rookiedaddy

Enlightened

Just received this teaser pic from Olight...
WXS4Vgx.jpg

they said there are changes/improvements from knurling to battery system... can't wait to test this one... :nana: