Review: Streamlight Waypoint Rechargeable (built-in battery)

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Statement for Transparency and Disclosure
The test sample/s featured in this article have been provided for technical testing and review by the manufacturer. Test samples are retained by the reviewer following publication of the completed review for the purposes of long term testing and product comparisons.

All output figures and test results published in this review are the sole work of the reviewer, and are carried out independently and without bias. Test results are reported as found, with no embellishments or alteration. Though best endeavours are made to maintain the accuracy of test equipment, the accuracy of these results is not guaranteed and is subject to the test equipment functioning correctly.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few years ago I reviewed an earlier incarnation of the Waypoint, but with this updated version, output is boosted by four times and it is now powered by a built in rechargeable li-ion battery. The ergonomic pistol-grip design certainly lives up to its name.

04%20WaypointR%20angle%20P1130559.jpg

Taking a more detailed look:

The Waypoint arrives in a cardboard box.

01%20WaypointR%20boxed%20P1130544.jpg

Flipping the lid open, this is how the contents are presented.

02%20WaypointR%20box%20open%20P1130545.jpg

In the box you get the Waypoint with wrist strap , a wall mount, mains charger with selection of plug adapters and the instructions.

03%20WaypointR%20box%20contents%20P1130550.jpg

The plastic wall holder has three screw holes for mounting to a suitable surface.

17%20WaypointR%20holster%20P1130606.jpg

With an open bottom, the wall holder can be positioned such that if the Waypoint is turned on it will shine wherever you directed it. You can also see the Velcro like retaining strap to keep the Waypoint firmly in place. If you mounted it in a vehicle, this would stop it coming out of the holder on bumpy roads.

18%20WaypointR%20holster2%20P1130609.jpg

On the back of the Waypoint is a mode selection lever with three positions for High, Medium and Low indicated with a full circle, half circle and quarter circle symbols.

05%20WaypointR%20mode%20switch%20P1130562.jpg

The main switch is a 'trigger' style forward clicky in keeping with the pistol grip.

16%20WaypointR%20main%20switch%20P1130599.jpg

Looking from behind, notice the cushioned rubber grip, covered charging port, charge indicator light, mode switch and folded hanging loop.

06%20WaypointR%20back%20P1130566.jpg

And here with the hanging loop open and the charging port cover removed.

07%20WaypointR%20loop%20P1130568.jpg

The charging port cover locks into place to stop it falling out.

08%20WaypointR%20port%20cover%20P1130573.jpg

To remove the port cover, twist it 90 degrees to unlock.

09%20WaypointR%20port%20cover%20unlocked%20P1130571.jpg

Then pull the cover off to give access to the DC socket.

10%20WaypointR%20port%20open%20P1130570.jpg

As well as the hanging loop, the Waypoint has a built in stand fitted to the top.

11%20WaypointR%20stand%20P1130577.jpg

This flips open with click stops to allow you to leave it at any angle.

12%20WaypointR%20stand%20out%20P1130580.jpg

Once placed onto the stand, you can aim the waypoint and use it hands free.

13%20WaypointR%20standing%20P1130582.jpg

A large reflector is surrounded by rubber armour.

15%20WaypointR%20LED%20P1130595.jpg

Though specified by Streamlight as a C4 LED it is an XM-L2 LED.

14%20WaypointR%20LED%20close%20P1130592.jpg

The beam

Please be careful not to judge tint based on images you see on a computer screen. Unless properly calibrated, the screen itself will change the perceived tint.
The indoor beamshot is intended to give an idea of the beam shape/quality rather than tint. All beamshots are taken using daylight white balance. The woodwork (stairs and skirting) are painted Farrow & Ball "Off-White", and the walls are a light sandy colour called 'String' again by Farrow & Ball. I don't actually have a 'white wall' in the house to use for this, and the wife won't have one!

Starting indoors, as per its name, the Waypoint has a very focussed beam and shows a very strong hotspot, but still a reasonably useful spill.

23%20WaypointR%20indoor%20beam%20P1160126.jpg

Going outdoors to allow the Waypoint to flex its muscles more it very throw biased beam has washed out the centre of the photograph.

22%20WaypointR%20outdoor%20beam%20P1160064.jpg

To really show the Waypoint at its best you need more distance, and here I've moved to a golf range. (The Waypoint itself is lit up as I'm wearing a headlamp set to a low level intended to show the model I'm testing)

24%20WaypointR%20outdoor%20distance%20P1170215.jpg

Looking at the hotspot area a bit closer you can see the four distance markers at 100, 150, 200 and 250 yards.

25%20WaypointR%20outdoor%20distance%20detail%20P1170215.jpg

You definitely can 'point the way' with the Waypoint!

26%20WaypointR%20outdoor%20distance%20glare%20P1170214.jpg

Modes and User Interface:

The Waypoint gives you a very simple and intuitive interface. On the back of the Waypoint is a mode selection lever with three positions for High, Medium and Low indicated with a full circle, half circle and quarter circle symbols. The desired output mode is simply pre-selected, or changed during use.

The main switch is a 'trigger' style forward clicky in keeping with the pistol grip. The switch allows momentary use or constant on use.

Batteries and output:

The runs on a built in unspecified li-ion battery pack.

On the supplied charger, Streamlight have helpfully labelled what it is for (I wish more manufacturers did).

19%20WaypointR%20charger%20P1130612.jpg

During charging the indicator light is red.

20%20WaypointR%20charging%20P1130615.jpg

Once fully charged the indicator turns green.

21%20WaypointR%20charged%20P1130621.jpg

To measure actual output, I built an integrating sphere. See here for more detail. The sensor registers visible light only (so Infra-Red and Ultra-Violet will not be measured).

Please note, all quoted lumen figures are from a DIY integrating sphere, and according to ANSI standards. Although every effort is made to give as accurate a result as possible, they should be taken as an estimate only. The results can be used to compare outputs in this review and others I have published.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Streamlight WAYPOINT RechargeableI.S. measured ANSI output LumensPWM frequency or Strobe frequency (Hz)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
High10960
Medium560100
Low36156

* Beacon and Strobe output measurements are only estimates as the brief flashes make it difficult to capture the actual output value.

Peak Beam intensity measured 132000lx @1m giving a beam range of 727m.

It is not possible to confirm if there is any parasitic drain.

Output is not regulated and declines steadily over the entire runtime. Though a lower overall performance than a regulated output light, the Waypoint will not suddenly cut out leaving you in the dark.

Streamlight%20Waypoint%20Rechargeable%20runtime.jpg

Troubleshooting

This section is included to mention any minor niggles I come across during testing, in case the information helps anyone else.

No issues were encountered during testing.

As per the description of this section, this information is provided in case anyone else finds a similar 'issue' that might be fixed in the same way.

The Waypoint Rechargeable in use

The first thing I'd like to mention is how I would classify this light. With so many different usage scenarios for which we have a wide range of choices, I'd put the Waypoint into the 'Static Equipment' class.

What I mean by this is that I'd see it as part of the standard equipment of a lookout point, search and rescue vehicle, on a boat, or any other instance where you are not personally carrying your equipment. Instead you have a kit of various items organised and mounted for quick access.

I would never EDC the Waypoint, with its fixed battery and bulky form it does not lend itself to a walk in the woods or camping.

Having put it in its place, when you are reaching for a light to scan the landscape and point out areas of interest, the Waypoint is ideal. Its pistol grip lends itself to pointing the beam naturally as you are looking around.

There is a soft start and stop of the beam as you use the trigger to switch it on and off. This prevents you from rapidly flashing the output. You can still signal with it, but not as fast as with other lights. The trigger switch itself feels a bit spongy and needs a long pull to reach the click that latches the output. This is not a problem, merely an observation.

On the two lower output levels, the PWM frequency gets my PWM sensitivity squirming. The PWM used is low at 100Hz and 156Hz and is obvious with any movement. Thankfully you will generally only want to use maximum output.

My own preference is for the Yellow version on test, the Waypoint comes in a black version as well, but when I'm grabbing a light I don't want it hiding in low light. It has another advantage that its pistol shape will never be mistaken for anything but the tool that it is.

When I can justify having it to hand, the Waypoint rechargeable is a pleasure to use. For road vehicles and boats (combined with a 12V adapter) it is an ideal choice and worth considering when kitting yourself out.

Review Summary

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Things I likeWhat doesn't work so well for me
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Intuitive, ergonomic designRelatively bulky
Powerful throw with 727m beam rangeBuilt in battery limiting extended use
Rechargeable – so nothing extra neededOutput is not regulated
Rubber armouredVisible PWM on Medium and Low
Built-in adjustable stand
Comfortable wrist strap
Wall mount

27%20WaypointR%20outdoor%20distance2%20P1170216.jpg

If you enjoyed my reviews, please remember to 'Like' me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter @Subwoofer_CPF
to get all the latest updates and news.

You can also find exclusive insights on Instagram and Pinterest

SubwooferLogo6%20V1-800.jpg

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, again, for another fine review. I really appreciate the effort you put into it.

Is it fair to say that the beam intensity will fall in proportion to light output? For the better part of a run, it looks like output is around 500 lumens. As that is half of the nominal 1000 lumens you get on a fully charged battery, does that mean beam distance is cut in half as your battery drains, or is it candela that gets cut in half?

Sorry to say, I cannot remember which it is.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, again, for another fine review. I really appreciate the effort you put into it.

Is it fair to say that the beam intensity will fall in proportion to light output? For the better part of a run, it looks like output is around 500 lumens. As that is half of the nominal 1000 lumens you get on a fully charged battery, does that mean beam distance is cut in half as your battery drains, or is it candela that gets cut in half?

Since beam intensity is measured in candelas, when the beam dims the candelas will drop along with it. A point to keep in mind since it is an unregulated light.

One other point: Unless I am mistaken, the rechargeable Waypoint can not be used while it is recharging. There is a companion Waypoint that uses four C cells for portable use, or plugs into a 12v source and becomes a free-standing fixed location light (that 'fixed location' can be a moving vehicle, but it is fixed in that it can move no further than the length of the supplied cord).

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

In short, yes. With the only change being the OTF lumens, the lux @1m and resultant beam range should drop proportionally.

Since beam intensity is measured in candelas, when the beam dims the candelas will drop along with it. A point to keep in mind since it is an unregulated light.

One other point: Unless I am mistaken, the rechargeable Waypoint can not be used while it is recharging. There is a companion Waypoint that uses four C cells for portable use, or plugs into a 12v source and becomes a free-standing fixed location light (that 'fixed location' can be a moving vehicle, but it is fixed in that it can move no further than the length of the supplied cord).

Absolutely right, there is an 'Akaline' Waypoint, but its output is half that of the rechargeable Waypoint. If only Streamlight had made the Rechargeable version able to run directly off a 12V source like the alkaline version it would have added greatly as it would then be able to maintain full output and beam range.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
In short, yes. With the only change being the OTF lumens, the lux @1m and resultant beam range should drop proportionally.

Are you sure about this being proportional? Wouldn't it be more like 70.7% (square root of .5) throw for 50% brightness/cd?? Just trying to understand.

Any way thanks for another great review!

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure about this being proportional? Wouldn't it be more like 70.7% (square root of .5) throw for 50% brightness/cd?? Just trying to understand.

Any way thanks for another great review!

Without measuring it (which is a bit tricky as actual OTF lumens vary over time as this is not a regulated light), I'm not 100% sure, but remember I said the lux @1m would drop proportionally, NOT the beam range.

My reasoning is that if I measure 132000lx @1m 30s from turn-on for a freshly charged Waypoint, and in the same condition (freshly charged, 30s from turn-on) I measure 1096lm OTF, this gives us a good indication that a 1096lm OTF output with this reflector/lens/LED will give 132000lx @1m.

The crucial bit there is "with this reflector/lens/LED", as if the OTF lumens drop to 548lm (half) and the only change is the OTF lumens, then I expect the Lux @1m to halve to 66000lx @1m.

As I mentioned previously I was talking lux@1m and beam range is calculated as SQRT(Lux@1m)x2 so the drop from 1096lm OTF to 548lm OTF (and proportional drop in lux@1m) would result in a beam range dropping from 727m to 514m (not half).

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK that makes sense, I thought that you were saying both cd and beam distance were proportional to lumens.

Thanks for the reply.