REVIEW: Wolf Eyes MC-E Explorer !!

degsdg

Newly Enlightened
The E2 is the Eagle 2 a completely different light with different specs including 700 lumens. Which of course begs why the Explorer if this similiar light is that much brighter.

Can anyone recommend where to purchase the E2? Thanks

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the total output of the WE P7 or MC-E compare to a single die light on high? I am toying with getting a P7 or MC-E head for my Sniper.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's ok, because I'm after the wider beam as well as the increased output.

My WE Q5 module, the 3.7-6V R2 hi/lo model, says it's regulated, but as far as I can tell, it's actually not really a flat regulation. The current draw drops as the runtime goes along, instead of increasing like it should. Are the MC-E models the same?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's ok, because I'm after the wider beam as well as the increased output.

My WE Q5 module, the 3.7-6V R2 hi/lo model, says it's regulated, but as far as I can tell, it's actually not really a flat regulation. The current draw drops as the runtime goes along, instead of increasing like it should. Are the MC-E models the same?

I'd really like to know, as I am basing my purchasing decision on the answer.

:whistle:

Wattnot

Enlightened
I can't tell you for sure but I do not believe the Explorer has "boost" regulation but I'm sure it has the "buck" regulation.

Perhaps the dealer can help? Ask the store where you're going to make your purchase.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I have searched for further information on Explorer runtime without success. PTS gets their specs from Woleyes and it is extremely unlikely that PTS has performed their own runtime tests. For that reason and to attract more attention to this subject I am posting a new thread.

Brightnorm

River Runner

Newly Enlightened
All of a sudden the Wolf-eyes websight now lists the MC-Explorer @ 700 lumens, and the runtime is down to 45 minutes. Did they up the performance, or just the specs???

RR

scarlet

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the informative review! My Sniper P7 recently died on me, and this review may prompt me to buy the Explorer as a replacement :grin2:

elho

Enlightened
All of a sudden the Wolf-eyes websight now lists the MC-Explorer @ 700 lumens, and the runtime is down to 45 minutes. Did they up the performance, or just the specs???
I asked my local dealer who also has the new specs about that. They did indeed increase the performance, he said they improoved LED and drivers, so it probably is a higher flux bin than before.
BUT there is fundamental bad news, and seeing that in the specs was the reason for me to ask about the changes: The wonderful idea of the concealed mode is gone, it is back to the old UI with modes as listed on the Wolf-Eyes website: 100% -> 30% -> 2% -> strobe. :ohgeez:

elho

Enlightened
Received the last one with the "personal" UI from PTS today! :party:
First impressions: IMO, the old smooth semi-matte finish that Wolf-Eyes used before was nicer than the current fully matte one.
It indeed has some throw, more than I expected. :thumbsup:

elho

Enlightened
Default mode: Maximum brightness (100%) -> 30% brightness ->lowest brightness (2%)

I did not realize until trying the light that Wolf-Eyes apparently changed meaning of their percentage levels - back then the percentage referred to the amount of power used, ie. on my P4 and R2 drop-ins Med at 20% means about 50% brightness and Low at 2% means ten times the runtime of Med.
The 2% Low of the MC-Explorer however is very close to the 2% Low of the R2, so it must indeed be 2% brightness now.

Irritating that they subtly changed the meaning of their numbers, but on the plus side this means the Low is indeed usable low unlike a 2% power one would have been.

PWM:

Using my highly scientific method of pointing the light into a fan, I detected PWM in use on medium and low.
Moving it around a bit already suffices, as the frequency is rather low. My scientific method of using a DMM says 165 Hz for both Med and Low.

SAcharlie

Newly Enlightened
The WE website lists a MC-Explorer and a MC-E2. They look to have the same specs. Is there a difference? Also PCtactical has Explorers with different LEDs/lumins what is with that?

Wattnot

Enlightened
The WE website lists a MC-Explorer and a MC-E2. They look to have the same specs. Is there a difference? Also PCtactical has Explorers with different LEDs/lumins what is with that?

Sorry I don't have a precise answer for you but I believe they are essentially the same. As for different lumen Explorers, I couldn't find that. They all seem to be 580.