River Rock Nightfire 2xAA Rebel

darknessemitter

Enlightened
So on full flood, some have the dark donut hole in the center, and others have a nice center with some dark distortion at the outer edge. But this is a cheap focusing light with some inherent QC variations. So the real question is, on the ones that see a dark center when in full-flood setting, can you find some point, not necessarily at full flood setting, that you can get a decent flood without dark donut hole?

I wonder if different people are just looking at the flood beam differently. I'll try to describe this. Mine doesn't really have a "donut hole," but there is a brighter ring around the outer edge. The center part of the flood beam is the widest part of the beam. It is slightly dimmer than the outermost ring, but the wide center portion is almost as bright and evenly distributed. It works pretty well as a flood unless the slightly brighter outermost ring really bothers you.

The beam is not perfect, but this isn't what I would normally think of as a "donut hole."

lyyyghtmaster

Newly Enlightened
Easy to get apart? I tried unscrewing the head fairly hard to the point where I was worried about damaging the focusing mechanism, but it wouldn't budge. Then I noticed a glue line on the adjacent interfacing ledge that the head screws up against in full flood. Did they start gluing these? :( I really like the shape of this light and was hoping to try different emitters with the included optic to see if one of them works better than the included Rebel. Also I would re-driver the light to about .7A (LED). :D

darknessemitter

Enlightened
Easy to get apart? I tried unscrewing the head fairly hard to the point where I was worried about damaging the focusing mechanism, but it wouldn't budge. Then I noticed a glue line on the adjacent interfacing ledge that the head screws up against in full flood. Did they start gluing these? :( I really like the shape of this light and was hoping to try different emitters with the included optic to see if one of them works better than the included Rebel. Also I would re-driver the light to about .7A (LED). :D

Um, the front half of the head unscrews from the bottom half of the head, but I'm not sure if the ENTIRE head can be removed...

Also, there were a couple threads on what might be a Rayovac version of this light, except possibly with a better emitter (supposedly 100 lumens):

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214991

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2732277#post2732277