Romisen R-1A01 1xAAA light

kurri

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday mailman got me a new light from ledshoppe.com Shipping was fast for a free one, got it to me in 6 days from order!
It will be replacement for my trusted photon micro.

All Threads were nice and smooth, nothing was glued.
But it has no lens(!) only recessed plastic collimator. O-rings could be little thicker, so it would be harder to turn on..
AA minimag in pic for comparision.

lux 3?

Spot is rectangular, with very little spill. (wall is blue)

Current draw from batt i measured 1.98A, with full one probably little more.
Driver limit current seems to be 2.99A @1.4v while feeding from psu.
In driver board seems to read "cree" :eek:

will see how it keeps up with my keys ;) In some point update with seoul might be topical...

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
I had the Ultrafire B3 and gave it to my father in law after getting this same Romisen R-1A01 light, which is brighter, longer throw and bigger (all) hotspot. The Romisen is an awesome EDC. I wrapped the head threads with teflon tape to keep my wife from losing the head before attaching it to her keychain. (My personal keychain light is the CR2 clickie from DealExtreme.)

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like what I've been searching for for a long time. Question is though is it a Cree or a 3w Luxeon like the website states.

kurri

Newly Enlightened
well, this is still brightest luxeon light that i have seen...
Emitter swap shouldn't be that hard because pill just drops out after screwing retaining ring out.

Just bit of arctic alumina, something for shimming and a bit of soldering... this might be easy (and cheap) way to start modding..

sino

Newly Enlightened
I had the Ultrafire B3 and gave it to my father in law after getting this same Romisen R-1A01 light, which is brighter, longer throw and bigger (all) hotspot. The Romisen is an awesome EDC. I wrapped the head threads with teflon tape to keep my wife from losing the head before attaching it to her keychain. (My personal keychain light is the CR2 clickie from DealExtreme.)

The R-1A01 sounds like a great bargain for what you get. Hard to go wrong with Romisen. I have two other lights from them, and they're both solid keepers. I might have to check into the R-1A01. If only it were a Cree or SSC...

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Looks to be a easy Seoul mod(though the soldering looks small). Though a Cree might work better since more of the light should hit the lens because if it's narrower emitting pattern.

I think as long as you are decent with soldering, it shouldn't be a difficult mod.

ki0ak:

Well, the KD buckle is pretty much guaranteed to be brighter then the Romisen AAA. The KD light has a LED that is at least twice as efficient as the LED in the Romisen and I'm pretty sure the KD light drives the LED harder then the Romisen light.

Last edited:

ki0ak

Newly Enlightened
ki0ak:

Well, the KD buckle is pretty much guaranteed to be brighter then the Romisen AAA. The KD light has a LED that is at least twice as efficient as the LED in the Romisen and I'm pretty sure the KD light drives the LED harder then the Romisen light.

OK - that gives me a little more incentive to go with the KD light...

chee

Newly Enlightened
I don't have the Romisen but Kai's Buckle Light (V2) is extremely bright on Nimh batteries, brighter than the LF2. I like it so much I'm getting the V3 as well.

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
Keep in mind, there are two versions. One with a Luxeon, one with a SSC. The one with the SSC is the better light.
So, if I were to order one, which one would I get since there's only sku for it?