Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

deeuubee

Newly Enlightened
The reply that I got from Ryobi is that there are no known problems that they know of or that have been reported except by me. (I'm kinda doubting that one.)

They say it's possible that I just got three bad ones. ( Yea, and I gotta bridge for sale here in NY cheap...any takers)

I was travelling, so the three bad lights were from three different Home Depots in three different cities. Lucky me just happened to buy the only bad P716's in each store.

Oh well, I saw a good price for some scratch an dent Epsilon EP-71's in the maketplace. I just might have to try those.

max52

Newly Enlightened
What kind of batteries are you using DEEUUBEE? Lithium or Ni-cad

cdesigns

Newly Enlightened
Damn you guys, everytime I enter to this forum, I end up buying buying all the new toys you put on here.

and I think its a no brainer for me to buy this HID spotlight also, I already own the Stanley but I have 6 18v batteries and over 7 ryobi 18v tools.

Time to use the credit card again hehe.

HIDaddict

Newly Enlightened
I got mine from Home Depot and tried it on 12 volts yes it does work on 12 volts! Ive been through 2 Wally World Stanlies one with the dimmer and one without both had bad ballasts! The sardine can ballast Stanley uses is crap because they pot it with this rubbery substance that actually traps heat.The Ryobi has a alumminum ballast case that dissipates heat well and is built of higher quallity.The Ryobi I have also has a softer startup witch is better for for all three Battery Bulb and Ballast!The Ryobi also doesn't seen to overdrive the bulb even at a coldstart or a hot restrike like the Stanley does.Thats a good thing! I will be posting pics soon.:hitit:

deeuubee

Newly Enlightened
OK...I broke down and bought another one.

Forth one has to be a charm.
I really want this to be reliable, because I have so many Ryobi One tools & batteries.

I have to admit...Home Depot has not given me any grief about swapping them out.
I've swapped them out at different stores and bought the forth one at a different store also. Maybe I got a bad run of luck with the first three.

Anyone else besides me have a problem with it?

I'm using new P100 Ni-CD's. When the Lithiums become more realistically priced, I'll switch over.

So far I have used this new light for a week and have had no problems either continuous or intermitant use.
If it makes it through the week I'll consider it OK.

I'll put up the Beamshots tomorrow. I have to load them on the host first.

cdesigns

Newly Enlightened
Buying one today also, I like that the battery is not in top like the stanley, the stanley is to heavy on top.

deeuubee

Newly Enlightened
OK, So far so good with the forth one. I just must have had that dark cloud over me for a while.

Here are the beamshots comparing the Ryobi 35W to my AE xenide 20W and 35W/28W generic Chinese HID.

If anybody's interested, I'll do longer shots.

Ryobi35WHID-1.jpg
HID537w-1.jpg
thumb_aex20.jpg

Fixed links - click beamshots to open full size
Ae Xenide 20W Ryobi 35W

Generic 28W Spot Generic 28W Flood

Generic 35W Spot Generic 35W Flood

Last edited:

BillSJCA

Newly Enlightened
Wait a minute...pops in thebottom, is this part of the One+ system?
I have a number of those tools ad batteries.....I think I "need" another!!!!
I just saw and on inpulse bought one, $49
have chargers and several batteries already. sorry will do my best to review his but limited lights of this style.

BillSJCA

Newly Enlightened
A great camping light I'd guess the tint is 6k, I like it close to my prius tint. might be fun to try a cooler bulb. beam isn't too tight migh need some focusing work. by far the bightest light I opwn now. was jonesing for a hid light. picked up a stanly halogen 6v spot, pretty nice light, but nowhere near this one. hope it holds up. suspect home depot will honor any issues. however if it proves too much trouble they can always drop it.

BillSJCA

Newly Enlightened
I got mine from Home Depot and tried it on 12 volts yes it does work on 12 volts! Ive been through 2 Wally World Stanlies one with the dimmer and one without both had bad ballasts! The sardine can ballast Stanley uses is crap because they pot it with this rubbery substance that actually traps heat.The Ryobi has a alumminum ballast case that dissipates heat well and is built of higher quallity.The Ryobi I have also has a softer startup witch is better for for all three Battery Bulb and Ballast!The Ryobi also doesn't seen to overdrive the bulb even at a coldstart or a hot restrike like the Stanley does.Thats a good thing! I will be posting pics soon.:hitit:
I've been playing with mine every night, no problems, however noticed one old battery has diminished capacity. might pick up a two pack of fresh batteries.

clarence222

Newly Enlightened
Thought about getting one of these because I have the other tools already, however have read some bad remarks on it. Anyone else having problems

deeuubee

Newly Enlightened
It is always possible that I got the only 3 bad ones out there at first.

I have been using the light daily for a week now trouble free, so I have to change it's status back to "keeper"...:thumbsup:

The beam is plenty wide enough to light up a large area at a distance.

I have been using it as an area light a night to finish up some after dark projects.

I have also been using it like a flashlight instead of a searchlight...meaning lots of on and off cycling. No restart problems at all.

It is very comfortable and balanced like using a drill. One of it's best features is that when the battery runs down, you just pop another one in.

Unlike the Stanley that has to be plugged in and recharged...leaving you without a light for a while.

Like I said, having a lot of Ryobi One stuff, I really wanted this to work out.

Unlike other HIDs I have tried or read about, this one is affordable, mainstream, parts or replacement readily available, and most of all, it is one of the cheapest HIDs around.

I'm hoping the lithium batteries go on sale for the holidays.

clarence222

Newly Enlightened
I picked up one of these on my way home from work this afternoon. Although I'm no where near an expert, I was pleased with it. Good price well balanced and plenty of light

TechPro

Newly Enlightened
I used mine the other day to punch down a phone board..it was on for 6 hours straight, minus battery changes. It never showed any signs of getting too hot, or not wanting to re-strike. I was using 2 of the fullsize lithiums and the one on the charger was always ready before the one in use went out. The ONLY complaint I have is the 8000k lamp does a great job at washing out the colors of phone wire, I too would like to know if anyone could source a bulb between 3500-4300 kelvin.

rwkyle

Newly Enlightened
I get lucky and here in the upstate of South Carolina TTI(Ryobi) owns and old NCR plant and they have a refurb sale about once a quarter. I picked up one of the P716 lights for $25 bucks and it is really bright! Other cool thing is They sale kits(Drill, two large lithium batteries, charger, flashlight) for $85. They did have new batteries for $56 each. I did read one post about new battery off the shelf from HD, yes that is $89 for the large lithium battery.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone use this flashlight still? I have had mine for over a year and all of the sudden for no good reason the light started strobing which with an HID light is no good. I am not sure what this usually signals so I am a little lost here. Anyone know anything that could help?

LuMentalKase

Newly Enlightened
If you want to take one of these apart it's pretty simple. All you need is a #20 Tamperproof Torx bit. There's a few recessed holes that require a bit of some depth to reach but they're all the same size and all on one side. Price aside, I think it has a handful of merits above the Stanley.

Most obviously is the size and quality of the ballast. The Stanley has it cheaply submerged in silicone with its numerous bunch of input wires. The Ryobi is a solid, clean design (plus it has variable voltages it'll work with, bulbs with standard lead disconnects, AND in the newer models it comes with a 4300k.) When I say "newer models" I'm just referring to slight variations in the design (I think you have to look for an extra Ryobi sticker on the back) and build-date where they've chosen to incorporate a 4300k.

There's no goofy dimmer switches or semi-functioning cluster of LED's at the top. With a swappable battery, you don't need downtime waiting for a built-in SLA to charge, and it even has a thermal cut-off attached to the reflector for safety (probably in case it gets left on face down.)

It'd be great to see these with a little additional engineering (with seals and O-rings) to make them weather/waterproof, a reliable secondary low-level light built-in (if only a forward facing LED), maybe a remaining charge indicator, and selectable intensity.

mm38

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know what the bulb type is in the light? I still have the older bulb.

I did smoke the ballast on my first one a few months after purchase. I opened up the unit and could smell something burnt and saw some soot and discoloration on the ballast.

mm