Sams Club VS Costco : Which One Is Better?

mugs

Newly Enlightened
thatguybme said:
I would vote for Costco over Sams as well.. when I lived in Richmond, VA we had both, but now we only have Sams...

There was an magazine article/national news segment about a year ago on how great Costco was.. If i remember correctly they do not mark anything up more than 15% of their cost.. It specificaly mentioned that restaurants were buying wine by the case there, since it was cheaper than buying from the local distributor..

I have noticed what appears to be a lot of restaurant owners buying stuff there... but then people might think that about me when I'm buying the 25 pound bags of flour and huge quantities of diced tomatoes. What can I say, I make a lot of pizza. :)

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Neither does me any good. The nearest Costco is 150 miles away and I cannot qualify to join Sam's.

I think they both stink. :(

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also read prescription drug costs were very good at Costco. I believe they still use the same mark-up policy on generics which in some case makes them wicked cheap. I know that recently after having a tooth yanked, a 12 count of percocet was like three dollars and change.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
BF Hammer said:
Neither does me any good. The nearest Costco is 150 miles away and I cannot qualify to join Sam's.

I think they both stink. :(

Why can't you qualify to join Sam's? Doesn't it only require $35?

lebox97

Enlightened
am a member of both: 20+ yrs Costco, 6+ yrs Sam's

These day's I don't think you have to be afilliated with any organization or employer to be a member - you pay your annual membership and your in?

it's been said:
each has it's pro n con
similar yet different - and different brands of items.

I am in both of them every week for different reasons...
I have bought several thousand $'s of PC's at Sam's in the last couple months - primary advantage is lower PC prices and the extended warranties on electronics.
primary advantage of costco is more locations.

PS: I don't consider a bad employee experience as a reflection of corporate policy or position - anyone and everyone can have a bad day - doesnt matter what company...:ironic:

if you have a bad experience with a Circle K cashier - do you then boycott every Circle K location? most people would not...

go with the one that is most convenient for you and enjoy the hundreds of
$ a year savings...:)

bguy

Newly Enlightened
270winchester said:
As far as I know there are no Sams in the Bay Area either, you would imagine a place with such a high concentration of people would interest Sams....

There is one in Concord, I went in there once many years ago. But since there are about 15 Costcos closer to me, I only belong to Costco.

As for what happened to BatteryCharger's dad... I was using a business membership (through a friend's business) that I had been removed from. They told me my card was no longer good, but let me get what I already had.

Nomad

Enlightened
I have only shopped at Sam's Club but so far it's been just fine. I got a business membership with almost no difficulty (I had to bring in my retail sales tax license, that's it) and can shop there 3 hours before the store opens to the general public. I'd only obtained the business license stuff because I thought I'd need it to buy at wholesale to sell on eBay, but that plan fell through anyway, at least I got some benefit from it! :) Also a business membership is $5 cheaper than a regular membership and you get a couple of other perks but I forget what they are, fax and pull I think is one of 'em.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Trashman said:
Why can't you qualify to join Sam's? Doesn't it only require $35?

Have they changed their policy recently? You had to be a member of some approved organization or register as a business owner to join when I last tried.

I'm not current or former military, I'm not a union member, I'm not a university alum, I don't own a business, I work for a small business where the owner refuses to have anything to do with Sam's because they undercut his prices for paper and business equipment. That mean's I'm excluded from buying anything from Sam's except as a guest of a member.

lebox97

Enlightened

C4LED

Enlightened
I agree with most of the good comments about Costco here (at least the ones I know about from experience). Everything seems to average about 2/3 rds the cost of what it would be elsewhere. Some deals are better.

The tire dept. is excellent. The food section is great also. The service is top notch.

If you buy something and then they have a sale after... bring back the receipt at the time of the sale and they'll refund you the difference.

Don't know about Sams...

Last edited:

Nomad

Enlightened
Regarding Costco, I think that under federal law if you're heading straight to the pharmacy they have to serve you whether you have a membership or not. I can't find my link at the moment but I know I was reading something about that not too long ago.

rayearth

Newly Enlightened
That is true. I have confirmed with Sam's that you don't need to be a member to use the pharmacy. I'm pretty sure the same applies for Costco. BTW, I agree, Costco pharmacy was really cheap.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a tourist, years ago, I went to a Costco store in Miami not knowing that a membership was needed to purchase there (how should I know?).

I purchased some items and at the checkout the lady there toldme that membership was required, but she also said don't worry, go to that counter and tell that lady your problem.

I spoke with the lady and she understood my situation right away, she gave me a photocopy of a one day pass they gave as promotion a month earlier :)

Problem solved, I was nice asking, and they were nice responding

Pablo

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I have never been in a Costco. Been a member of Sams Club for 10+ years. Being that this is a flashlight forum I must say Sam's is undoubtedly better than Costco for torches unless they also have what's IMO the best torch dollar for dollar on the market. What might that torch be? The "Element" 1.25 watt regulated luxeon powered by 3 AAA's. At $24.95 plus tax it's tough to beat. Did I mention there are not one but two torches in the blister pack? $12.50 each for a luxeon with aluminum body. My wife will swear I buy another pack every time I go in there and OBTW, I was there last night. There are far better torches on the market both larger and smaller but how can you sell a regulated luxeon for $12.50 each? It even comes with 3 AAA Energizers and a small lanyard.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a Sam's in Concord on Concord Ave off of Willow Pass (not far from Sun Valley Shopping Center.) The location used to be a Pace (K-Mart) warehouse; K-Mart's attempt at the warehouse store concept. There are also several Sam's stores in the greater Sacramento area, and I understand that they quite a few of them in Southern Calif. as well. They're not as wide spread as Costco stores (certainly not as many as is in the Bay Area.)

270winchester said:
I shop at costco and since there are no Sams Club in CA

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Costco hasn't had an organizational affiliation requirement since they bought out Price Club (forget how long it has been.) They do require business documentation for a business membership, but not for a regular membership (little to no difference other than being able to go into the store an hour earlier on some days.) All you have to do is fill out the application, shell out $45 or $100, and stand in front of the camera.

While Costco's return policy and the way they treat customers is a model that any retail should strive to achieve for top notch customer satisfaction and service, I do understand that they have implemented tracking on returns (like Target, Wal*Mart, and some other stores) and may refuse returns from members who show a pattern of obvious abuse. But then how many other stores will accept returns of opened software and DVDs?

BF Hammer said:
Have they changed their policy recently? You had to be a member of some approved organization or register as a business owner to join when I last tried.

TaskMaster

Newly Enlightened
I know this thread is a couple months old, but...

My wife and I have memberships at Costco, Sam's and BJ's because there are certain things that we like best about each one. For any electronics or high dollar item, the choice for us hands down is Costco. In fact, if all three clubs carry an item we need, I prefer Costco just because of their satisfaction guarantee. On EVERYTHING (except PCs and Laptops) the offer an unlimited lifetime satisfaction guarantee. No need to buy the extended warranty, it is covered. Last holiday shopping season Consumer Reports even named Costco as one of, if not, the best location to purchase electronics because of their liberal return policy. Quoting CR, Costco will "allow you to return any item any time, although Costco recently limited computer returns to six months."

I recently bought a new Mattress and TV through Costco. I asked them about this policy first and I think I even said a couple of times, "REALLY?? You mean in 5 or 10 years if this mattress sags or anything and I'm not happy I can just return it? REALLY???" I asked about the TV, "What if I just wasn't happy because I wanted a bigger TV? I can still return it?" The woman at the desk said very clearly, "Yes, for any reason." It seems to good to be true, but they stand by it.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Costco has great meat. I really like the Ribeye they sell. Find the one's with the marbling.

This is a cooked Ribeye fron Costco.

dsc01864small7rz.jpg

The ribs are good.

dsc01667small6yj.jpg

Combo Pizza

dsc01941small7nt.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whatever you see make sure you buy it. Once it's gone, most of the time it's not restocked.

TaskMaster

Newly Enlightened
ernsanada said:
Whatever you see make sure you buy it. Once it's gone, most of the time it's not restocked.

Ain't that the truth! mmMm. Why am I hungry now?

My brother in law said all Massachusetts Sam's closed suddenly yesterday (permanently), and that the NH stores are 'open for now' - I haven't seen the story yet myself. Bummer if it's accurate!