Sapphire vs. Ultra clear lens

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Sappire vs. Ultra clear lens

Sapphire is much stronger than glass, I know because I have synthetic white sapphire jewelry and I took a stone that had a chip in it because I kept using it to scratch glass and put it in a pair of vise grips and I can tell you it is a LOT stronger than glass to break.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most serious dive watches (over 200M) still use mineral glass, it is more shatter resistant.

AILL

Newly Enlightened
Re: UCL-Lens coating issues

[...]

As far as a lexan lense for your novatac, maybe you could call them?

Well, I emailed to NT on FEb. 19th. that I need two new Polycarbonate-lenses.

I got an answer on FEb. 24th, "Jesse Sullivan" <[email protected]>: He told me to contact lighthound.

What I did.

Lighthound answered on Feb. 26th, that they have only UCL-lenses.

I forwarded this message to Mr. Sullivan the same day, and declared precisely that I need two polycarbonate-lenses and that I will pay for them.

No response till today.

What kind of terrific customer service is this?

:awman:

They did better in the past...

Andreas

Last edited:

AILL

Newly Enlightened
Re: UCL-Lens coating issues

Well not to forget to tell you all this: Seems it needed a couple of weeks, but indeed I got an offer from Jesse. Now I will receive 2 new lenses (and two leef springs as well).

NT's customer service ain't the fastest, but still working.

Andreas

Well, I emailed to NT on FEb. 19th. that I need two new Polycarbonate-lenses.

I got an answer on FEb. 24th, "Jesse Sullivan" <[email protected]>: He told me to contact lighthound.

What I did.

Lighthound answered on Feb. 26th, that they have only UCL-lenses.

I forwarded this message to Mr. Sullivan the same day, and declared precisely that I need two polycarbonate-lenses and that I will pay for them.

No response till today.

What kind of terrific customer service is this?

:awman:

They did better in the past...

Andreas

anonymoususer

Newly Enlightened
Hello i bought my first surefire and ordered a UCL for it, But i cant seam to get the bezel off and im not really sure i want to. The more i think about it the more i wonder, Surefire lights are durable, but if i go and change the lens and loosens things that are really tight, Wont it lose its durabilty(a little bit)? Is it really worth putting a UCL lens in it? Is it still gonna be as durable? Thanks.

BTW: The reason i ordered the lens is because i have a M61 on th way.

Opening up any manufacturer sealed unit will weaken it, unless you know how to re-seal it in the same way. I think those lights are threadlocked (perhaps somebody more informed than I can confirm), which basically means a sort of adhesive us used to improve durability, prevent opening, and improve the seal. You can, of course, break the threadlock, clean the threads, and put new threadlock adhesive in when you're done modifying the light. I've used LocTite threadlock adhesive on some things (not flashlights) that never had it before, and I'm very pleased with the result.

If you bought the lens because you think it will make a noticable difference to the beam brightness, I wouldn't bother. Realistically you wont see a noticable difference even between 98% and 88% transmissive optics unless you're doing A/B comparisons, or depending upon them for digital imaging etc.

If you love the idea of modifying your flashlight because you simply must have the best quality and performance, then you shouldn't even be asking the question... do it! ;)

Personally I'd fit it... but then, I really like cool stuff, even if it's practicality or usefulness in the 'real world' is questionable... probably why I spent hours tuning my PC to get an extra 7% performance from the CPU. If I spend money on something, I like to get every % performance I can from it.
If you have opened a Surefire retaining bezel, you would know that it is only held in place by a couple very small dabs of thread locker. Removing is and replacing it with a couple very small dabs of thread locker will not compromise its durability.

Use the suggestion above to remove the retaining ring.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sapphire is also somewhat brittle in comparison with mineral glass.

Agreed. Mineral Glass is softer and scratches much easier than Sapphire. It also makes it much less prone to shattering. However, I would think in some instances the user may prefer sapphire.

Most serious dive watches (over 200M) still use mineral glass, it is more shatter resistant.

This surprises me, are you sure? I always believed that high end dive watches used Sapphire. ( My Rolex Submariner rated 1000 ft uses sapphire. )

Bill