Saw my first U2 today...its BIG!

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
D Mag Lites can serve purposes other than providing light - defense, entry tool, pry bar, etc. In a pinch, I'd have no probelm sacrificing a Mag Lite for such needs. LEO's like tools that can serve multiple purposes. In the end, it's simpler and can save weight.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The three-cell crew will have no problems EDCing it. Some of the CPFers carry three-cell lights - Z3, C3, and some even the M3. You'll recall these are much bigger than the U2. Of course, not for everybody. Those who need it and value it sufficiently will carry it. But hasn't that always been the case - for any light, big or small? I know people who won't carry even the ArcAAA! Then I know people whose idea of EDC leaves me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif .. it's all what they see in it.

A year ago I thought the E1e was a huge replacement for my Solitaire. A year later I'm like "big or not, I'll *FIND* a way to carry the U2". That about sums it up: those who value it sufficiently will find a way. It's really all an individual decision. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

luxlover

Banned
The problem some people have carrying an Arc AAA is an entirely different matter, Kevin. It is so darn small. Take for instance my own situation. Sometimes when I place it in my skivvies for safekeeping, it gets lost "somewhere" and I can't seem to find it when I really need it! Oh well! It always seems to show up at the end of the day.....

Back to reality.....
I agree with your point completely. If you love the light you're with, you will carry it anywhere, period!

AlecGold

Enlightened
I've got the u2 now for a week or 2. And I love it. But the "if it breaks garanty" is off course very nice, but not very usefull when u are in the field.
I've been winter camping/hiking for these last two weeks, with the U2, and I still had a CMG light and a E2d (with a KL1, but the strike bezel replaced the normal bezel) as backup. I'm out in Europe, in the worst case I'm 2 days walking away from the nearest house/town. but without light it is hard to find anything at all.

I noted one thing about the U2 when working it in subzero (Celcius) temperatures: when it is really cold, it is harder to turn the ring. It first sticks like it is frozen but then slides. but it needs more force to turn it. Could this be the polymer shrinking harder then the Aluminium?
Or perhaps the rubber being harder or even the silicon getting frozen?

But for camping, hiking, hunting and reading books in a dark shelter, it is a near perfect light.

My only worry is that SF comes up with even a more perfect light. Just like I have now a A2 (red-led)obsolete (can a SF ever be obsolete? those two weeks it was used by my companion and he is very enthousiastic about it. He just wont pay $185 for a light.)

I'm now at the office and the U2 hangs in my front pocket. i don't notice it there. When I'm not in the office I tend to wear 5.11's, so there is place enough. But I have to admit, I've been looking for a belt-pocket (not a hip bag or something alike, just a pocket/sheath for on my belt) to store al my stuff.
It seems to be growing and giving birth: it started with a wallet and some key's. along came a phone, then a sturdy knife, a 6P (which changed in a A2, E2d and now in a U2) and there seems to be coming a leatherman tool this Xmas.
So if someone has any ideas about this....?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
luxlover: agreed - small things are easier to lose. But the rationale they gave me was "It's big!"

ArcAAA, big? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif I think I'm missing something here, and I'm not sure what it is.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

AlecGold: I still carry two lights - the E1e+KL1 is a nice backup to the U2. I have a lot of faith in the U2, but I have even more faith in carrying two instead of one.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although it was 6 Fahrenheit when I got up this morning, this is rather unusual for East Tennessee. I've been wondering about the potential for ring problems. It sure would be nice if we could get inside it to lube/replace what I assume is an o-ring or two inside.

A2 obsolete - no way! I'm finding my A2/red is a good companion for my U2. It's LED provide a lower level that the U2 can't get to, unless it's at the very end of battery life.

luxlover

Banned
Sorry Kevin. I forgot that you are not a "Yankee Doodle Dandy American." The word "skivvies" is the same as "underwear." Now I'm very sure that you get it!

Faith in a single light always working, is good. But having two lights in case you "run out of faith", is better. Now that we agree that the U2 is "la crème de la crème" of lights, what would be your second light? Mine is another SF classic.....an L4, deployed with a McE2S-60 tailcap switch and a PR-T-DB917 bezel. I don't need two lights with massive sidespill, do I? The PR-T is a super throwing light.

luxlover

Banned
AlexGold,
I am sure that you are correct. The polymer selection ring shrinks more so than the bezel's 6061-T6 aluminum. Different molecular structure and density. By working the ring back and forth a little, you will develop a little heat through friction, in order to loosen it up. I am sure that Paul Kim at SureFire, tested the U2 in extreme heat and extreme cold, before settling on the ring/bezel dimensional relationship. I wouldn't worry.

symes

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
AlecGold said:
Just like I have now a A2 (red-led)obsolete (can a SF ever be obsolete?

[/ QUOTE ]

A2 obsolete? Never.

Still one of the finest lights for marine use. Red for chart reading and finding the head at night, still a good incand to spot a man-overboard or check a buoy.

It is one of the last lights I'd ever get rid of.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Anyone know of a way to get the selector ring off? I need to clean under mine. I got some fine clay under it when I got stuck in the mud a week or two ago.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15's said:
Have you tried rotating the dial whilst holding it under running water?

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif It's been years since I quit drinking, but it'd take more than a few beers for me to try that without more info!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
codeman ... there is no danger as this is a magnetic switch and there isn't any connection to the inside of the light under the ring (AFAIK).

I have done that several times to clean the light without any harm.

But I never had dirt inside the ring itself though ...

bernhard

luxlover

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
codeman said:
[ QUOTE ]
Size15's said:
Have you tried rotating the dial whilst holding it under running water?

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif It's been years since I quit drinking, but it'd take more than a few beers for me to try that without more info!

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the "more info!" you have been waiting for codeman, compliments of Luxlover.....

The U2 has two places where water could get inside, and both have o-rings. One is the tailcap/body interface. The other is the body/bezel interface. The polymer selection dial sits on the metal bezel, and there is no place for water to get into the light at this location. However, if you are a little squeamish about getting the light soaking wet, do the following.....

Remove the batteries. Tighten the bezel against the body very well. Adjust the volume and direction of "somewhat hot" water, so that when you bring the ring close to the spigot, the water doesn't migrate everywhere. Let the water drip onto the ring.
Keep working the dial back and forth through it's full range. When you feel that the ring is moving as smoothly as when you got the light, dry it off and let it sit in the air for a while. I am sure that whatever has gummed up the ring, will be loosened and get flushed down the drain. Remember that the same way the mud got under the selection dial, it can get out. The ring is plastic, and the aluminum bezel can't rust. Any moisture that gets between these parts, will eventually evaporate. It is safe!

There may be times to drink to get you through the trials and tribulations of life. This is NOT one of them! Good luck and be brave, warrior!

turbodog

Flashaholic
Yeah yeah.... been there done that.

The dirt is still under there or has scuffed the plastic/metal.

It's pretty tight.

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
Yeah yeah.... been there done that.

The dirt is still under there or has scuffed the plastic/metal.

It's pretty tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit:

We're not talking about your run of the mill dirt here. Dirt can't even get under there due to the small crack and tight tolerance. We're talking about ultrafine particles of Mississippi clay, a substance unlike anything you out-of-staters have ever seen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Edit #2:

Please see this thread for friction problems with your ring.

cpf u2 ring friction

E__WOK

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
I'm not sure how anyone EDC's it except in a pouch!
Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't wear skin tight leather pants. I carry it in my rear jean pocket.

*Retired*
I saw one yesterday, and yes, it is huge, mid-way between a Mag 2AA and a Mag 2C. ARC could have gotten 3 possibly 4 123's into that package.

So, how durable is the finish on these puppies?