Saw some new flashlight surprises at Lowes today...(NOT the Task Force)

IcantC

Enlightened
You're right. After thinking about it some more, I got a little annoyed. They acted like I was trying to scam them out of something. I called Lowes Corporate and very politely complained. I felt better, and figured that was the end of it.

A few hours later another store manager called me back. He read my complaint, looked at the sign, and said I was absolutely right (and so were you guys). He then apologized for the store's employees. He offered me the sale price if I'd come back in. I really didn't want to go back, after complaining, and look like the whiner getting his way, but I did. He was trying to do the right thing, and I needed some other stuff in the store anyway. Although I probably could have bought more at that price, I just got the two lights I had originally picked out. I got the good deal and the manager retained a customer. :thumbsup:

It was very unprofessional the way you were treated, but it seems like they fixed the issue and treated you well. Glad to see it was handled well. Out of all the corporate hardware stores, I only shop @ Lowes.

soffiler

Enlightened
It was very unprofessional the way you were treated, but it seems like they fixed the issue and treated you well. Glad to see it was handled well. Out of all the corporate hardware stores, I only shop @ Lowes.

Shadow: Congrat's!:thumbsup:

IcantC: I have one Lowe's that is convenient to my commute, and FOUR Home Depot's depending on the route I choose. I have shopped at Lowe's for things like Select #1 pine boards and have been sorely disappointed in their stock, where HD always has the quality I want. There are a couple other examples in construction materials that I have found a preference for HD - oh, framing lumber: HD is markedly cheaper (as much as 10%) for the exact same products, same grades. This might be totally a local thing; I don't know. But then, Lowe's gets props for its flashlight selection (I am also a Coast Focusing Lenser fan) and now obviously the Surefires. Lowe's is also my choice for tools - they're basically the same as HD but Lowe's always seems to have a wider array of accessories and consumables (like sandpaper, welding rods, etc)

IcantC

Enlightened
Shadow: Congrat's!:thumbsup:

IcantC: I have one Lowe's that is convenient to my commute, and FOUR Home Depot's depending on the route I choose. I have shopped at Lowe's for things like Select #1 pine boards and have been sorely disappointed in their stock, where HD always has the quality I want. There are a couple other examples in construction materials that I have found a preference for HD - oh, framing lumber: HD is markedly cheaper (as much as 10%) for the exact same products, same grades. This might be totally a local thing; I don't know. But then, Lowe's gets props for its flashlight selection (I am also a Coast Focusing Lenser fan) and now obviously the Surefires. Lowe's is also my choice for tools - they're basically the same as HD but Lowe's always seems to have a wider array of accessories and consumables (like sandpaper, welding rods, etc)

Sorry should have been clearer, for small items I go to Lowes. For bigger items I go to HD. HD NEVER has anyone helping and God forbird I ask someone for help, they act as if I told them I slept with thier mom:duh2:. This comes from me shopping at various HD's all over here. I do agree with you :).

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened
when i was looking for the g2LED i picked up at Lowe's, i had to have some help from the hardware guy since they weren't in the regular flashlight bins. i said it cost $64, and looked at me like i was from outer space. he said he'd never heard such a thing.

soffiler

Enlightened
when i was looking for the g2LED i picked up at Lowe's, i had to have some help from the hardware guy since they weren't in the regular flashlight bins. i said it cost $64, and looked at me like i was from outer space. he said he'd never heard such a thing.

In the store I usually visit, they are right there with the other flashlights. Must be up to the individual store where to put them. I used "self-checkout" so nobody looked at me funny when the price came up.

Fizz753

Newly Enlightened
In the store I usually visit, they are right there with the other flashlights. Must be up to the individual store where to put them. I used "self-checkout" so nobody looked at me funny when the price came up.

In the store I went to they were not with the rest of the flashlights. They were hung on the rack with the sun glasses / safety glasses. A place I found oddly humorous. :)

kavvika

Enlightened
2 questions:

Is it possible to turn on these Surefires while in the package?

And how has tint been on them? Is Surefire pretty consistent with the tints, or is it just up to chance? Or did Surefire deliberately pick the less-than-optimal tints to sell at Lowe's? I perfer a very warm tints for some reason, and have a terrible time finding lights that are suitable.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Can't turn on in package- believe me I tried! Tint from all reports is the opposite of warm. Cool and slightly blue. Sorry it's a great utility light and around the home sort of thing, but probably not to your liking.

kavvika

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. Unless I misinterpreted your statement, I take it you think this is more of an around the home light? Why is that? If I get one, I probably won't initially take it caving or hiking or "exploring" for fear of scratches, as that's what my DX Cree'd Maxfires are for, but I definately want to hold one, so we'll see.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I say around the home due to the fact that most of CPF is Lumens crazy and feel 80L is inferior. I think massive output is great but for inside I dont want 200+L. 80L tends to be a great level for mid range work for me. I think it's great for the not too much not too little and nice runtime in a light weight package. The Al head adds a little weight but since it's got a lexan lens it's not noticeable. Plus you get the SF replacement policy.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam tint on my G2L is very neutral. It matches my Luxeon W0 bin lights.

By the way, I picked up mine at Lowe's on Thanksgiving weekend, and it is the newer version with the metal head.

kavvika

Enlightened
Sgt. LED: Gotcha, 80 lumens is plenty for what I use my lights for. I'll look into a 6P. But, at the time when I bought my 2 DX drop-ins, there were only two options, and I bought the one that both fit into a Maxfire and was fully regulated off a 3.7v LiIon cell. Are these Surefire modules regulated off 3.7V? Or do they need 6v to stay in regulation? I really like my 17670 cells, and got rid of all my lights that could only run on CR123's, as I prefer not to throw away batteries.

soffiler

Enlightened
Sgt. LED: Gotcha, 80 lumens is plenty for what I use my lights for. I'll look into a 6P. But, at the time when I bought my 2 DX drop-ins, there were only two options, and I bought the one that both fit into a Maxfire and was fully regulated off a 3.7v LiIon cell. Are these Surefire modules regulated off 3.7V? Or do they need 6v to stay in regulation? I really like my 17670 cells, and got rid of all my lights that could only run on CR123's, as I prefer not to throw away batteries.

The Surefire module used in the G2L and 6PL (called P60L-WH) is a straightforward buck regulator. Supplied with input voltage above ~3.2v (see note), you're running full light output in regulation. Once batteries deplete to ~3.2v, it goes to direct-drive, you are out of regulation, and starting to gradually dim.

(note 3.2v is just a guess based on the probable drive current of the P60L-WH and datasheet properties of the SSC P4 emitter)

soffiler

Enlightened
I say around the home due to the fact that most of CPF is Lumens crazy and feel 80L is inferior. I think massive output is great but for inside I dont want 200+L. 80L tends to be a great level for mid range work for me. I think it's great for the not too much not too little and nice runtime in a light weight package. The Al head adds a little weight but since it's got a lexan lens it's not noticeable. Plus you get the SF replacement policy.

+1

I see the G2L as a careful balance between runtime and output, between throw and spill, and between warm and cool tints. You can't get a light more middle-of-the-road than this. Even the price is middle-of-the-road if you view incan Mag's on the lower end and some of Surefire's offerings (such as the "E" or "L" series) on the higher end.

I've got to say my personal opinion is that 80L is a LOT of light for inside work, unless maybe you're inside a warehouse! My personal favorite for indoors is my P1D-CE on low, which is I believe about 12L. That's for making the rounds inside the house at bedtime, checking that the thermostats are turned down and whatnot, and for crawling behind the PC to hook up cables - that's what I think of when I think of an indoor light. 80L works too but it's pretty darn intense up close.

Latest posts