Screenshots

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i have 3 oses on this pc but i cant figure out how to upload from my linux machine .when i try to upload with linux it says error i know its cause i didnt put in a passowrd but it has no place for password

raggie33

*the raggedier*
The_LED_Museum said:
cpf60.jpg
cool im glad ya are useing that pic led .this year ill try to get some more.of emi got a few more last month but forgot to put em on pc before i deleted em

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok here is something cool - (THIS IS NOT PHOTOSHOP)
imgshack6xh.jpg

If you wanna see more of those go here

You basically need to buy a laptop/monitor with a special transparent LCD screeen to make these possible :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: (or not??) . Like I said this is not photoshop hehe

idleprocess

Flashaholic
OK - work PC is a bit more impressive than I initially thought - it's almost a dual-core (read:multi-threading) processor @ 3GHz.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
mobile1 ... this is STUNNING !!! :cool:

My personal choice would be the same as Mr. GreenLED's .. pure evil black.

bernie

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pydpiper said:
How do I aquire a screen shot?

If you mean how to "take a picture" of your monitor screen, press the "print screen" key. This puts it on the clipboard. One way to get it into a disk file is to run paint. Then click Edit > paste. Then save it by clicking File > Save.

Paint will normally save it as a bitmap (.bmp) file which is huge. Better to save it as a .jpg or .png file.

The experts here will probably come up with a better way.

Last edited:

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
idleprocess said:
Somehow, I suspect the XP "distribution" I'm running at work isn't quite like you get from a retail installation. It's rock-solid. ...

Your XP at home is the same. It's the hardware that's different.

If your XP (or Windows 2000) is crashing it's either a bad driver or bad hardware, or maybe a virus.

My machines don't crash and I usually have fifteen or more apps running on each of two accounts. Getting fast user switching working in this situation did require me to try 3 different video boards, until I found one with good software.

I've got 31 apps running on this account now:
http://www.hypercon.net/~blisscomm/Pictures/CPF/ScreenShots/screen2.JPG

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with greenLED...

screenshotsmall6en.jpg

...but with a little bit more attitude. :rock:

-DF

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
eluminator said:
The experts here will probably come up with a better way.
All I do is hit the Print Screen key, open up IranView, load any image I find, and hit CTRL-V.
Then I select "Save As", give it a filename, and bingo, it saves. :)
If I need to resize the image, I do that before saving it, and it saves at the new size.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
eluminator said:
Your XP at home is the same. It's the hardware that's different.

Perhaps. There are a number of large coporations that have thrown money at Microsoft and told them to tweak Windows NT/2000/XP to their specs or just plain "fix" it any number of ways.

Verizon is not a small company, and I've never seen any Windows install as rock-solid as the XP distribution on the PCs there... which opens the possibility that XP for Verizon is different from the shrinkwrapped version. I should really look at the version and installed hotfixes and see if I can confirm any of this.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well bring home a copy of Win2000 and try it. I'm sure you will see no difference.

Oh by the way, where do you think I got my Win2000? My ex employer BAE systems is pretty big too, but their NT/Win2000/XP is just like everybody elses.

Those of us in the R&D department installed our own operating systems in our computers at work and in the development computers in the lab and in the machines we sold to the military. They were just plain NT4 or Windows 2000 installs. They didn't crashed either.

There is an enormous amount of bad software that gets installed in home computers. Almost every piece of hardware comes with a CD. Most of the time you are better off throwing away the CD. XP has drivers for most things and it's always better than the stuff on the CD.

Mice for instance don't need drivers. Every piece of software that Logitech supplies has bugs. It seems to be a "brand identification" thing with them :) Throw it away.

I don't need to supply a driver for my real hardware modem (although Win2000 needs one). Heck I don't even need a driver for my Radeon 9250 video card. Microsoft's driver works well. That's more than I can say for my old Radeon 9000 and my Matrox card.

Another thing about video cards. Don't install anything but the driver. That "Power Desk" stuff is bad news.

Digital cameras come with CDs. Toss them out. They make lousy coasters because they have a hole in the middle. I wouldn't put one in my computer either.

You're apt to get CDs with optical drives and hard drives. Throw them away. Well I've heard the OEM version of Nero included with some optical drives is good. I don't know because I paid the full price (ouch) for the full retail version.

When you go to Microsoft's update site and they have a hardware update for you, it's probably a good idea to ignore it, unless you're having problems with that particular piece of hardware. I could tell you stories about Microsoft's hardware updates.

Most people don't run diagnostics on their hardware and don't check the temperature of their CPUs and hard drives.

Many install high powered video cards that run hot and cause problems.

If your machine is crashing, a little detective work should be able to pin down the cause. Running another OS will usually determine if it's software or hardware pretty quickly. I like the DOS memory diagnostics you boot from CD or floppy. Slax is good too. It's a complete Linux that boots from and runs from a CD. Installing another XP on another partition is also a good idea.

A good look at the blue screen can help too. Unfortunately XP comes with "automatically restart" turned on so you don't get to see it. You can fix that from System > Advanced > Startup and Recovery SETTINGS.

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised almost everyone on Windows here is running XP. I use Win2K Pro on my PC, Win98se on my laptop, and OS9 and OS 10.2 on two different Macs. Then there are the 70 others in the collection. Rainbow CP/M, anyone?

And the screenshot:

dt.jpg

DT's a little cluttered, but it's a pretty light system. Runs fast for an Athlon 1800+ with half a gig of RAM. Need to get some new hard drives though.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
ABTOMAT said:
Need to get some new hard drives though.

I hear ya. I replaced two of them last week. These 7200 RPM drives run a bit hotter than the old ones. I think that's part of the problem. I'm thinking of ways to cool them better.

Some of the newest ones are actually running cooler than the ones built last year. I got a Western Digital cuz I heard they are the coolest. I'm still formatting and copying to it. So far so good. Pretty quiet also.

I'll betcha there are a million computers in the US that have hard drives that won't pass a drive diagnostic. That will explain the cause of a million "XP crashes" in the next few months.

Last edited:

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
ABTOMAT said:
I'm surprised almost everyone on Windows here is running XP. .

Win 2000 is getting a little long in the tooth. XP boots faster, has built-in drivers for most devices, a handier user interface, handles large hard drives without a registry hack, etc, etc.

I.E. on XP now allows you to disable flash on the Tools > Manage Add-ons menu. There's no such thing on my Win2000 I.E., but maybe that's cuz I don't have the latest updates.

No matter what I do, it seems that XP does it better. Now if we could just get rid of that damned activation thing :)