Sears 4 AA - 5 LED Flashlight - anyone got it?

StuU

Enlightened
Just an update to my Sears light. I put it in the Xmas box. Just last week I pulled it out to make sure it works before giving as a gift.

Guess what...it doesn't work except on the 1-led setting. After looking the light over, it appears to have some Rube Goldberg springy connections from the battery section to the head.

I brought it back and got a $20.00 gift card. Not bad for having paid $14.99 for the light. They put a "Clearance" sticker on it and threw it in the sale box.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
StuU said:
Just an update to my Sears light. I put it in the Xmas box. Just last week I pulled it out to make sure it works before giving as a gift.

Guess what...it doesn't work except on the 1-led setting. After looking the light over, it appears to have some Rube Goldberg springy connections from the battery section to the head.

I brought it back and got a $20.00 gift card. Not bad for having paid $14.99 for the light. They put a "Clearance" sticker on it and threw it in the sale box.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm? that's odd

i've had mine...er my wife's sitting in her console of her car for months now and its still runing like a champ.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
4x4Dragon said:
i don't see any melting problems since alot of other people have overdriven bulbs in other plastic based lights like the Princeton Tec 40 without any problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

I melted down the reflector in my first Dorcy Cool Blue by running it on a 3-cell incandescent bulb (3.6 V). I had left it running for quite a while before that happened, though.

STEVENT6

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply's.

I bought one yesterday, sign said on sale but it was 19.99 not 13.99 like I saw months ago. So I found out the led bulb doesn't work in other 4AA lights. The light is bigger, clunkier and chunkier than it looks in the package. But IMHO not too heavy. Though definitely not EDC. More like a winter coat pocket carry. The 4 leds are much brighter than a pt attitude and with a 3 cell xpr103 or 4 cell kpr113 it is quite bright. With these bulbs the beam isn't smooth at close range. But the optic seems to give it more throw.

And except for size it is kinda a poormans A2. In another thread someone mentioned they like the A2 because they only have one light in their hand and can quickly go from flood to spot. That is the case with this light when you replace the center led with a regular bulb. When longer runtime and less spot is needed you can put the original led bulb back in, as the package claims 130 hours runtime.
The center led bulb is brighter than a impact II. Mine has a blue and purple ring. I want to test this light outdoors, and I can see why most people kept theirs. One of those things that grow on you. Just in case I made sure I got a gift receipt with it (to make a return easier).

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I also run a 3Cell bulb in mine instead of the PR based LED. The PR LED bulb can be run in my Dorcy Boss and Turtlelights but does seem to be a bit picky.

The lens on the front for the PR LED bulb does make for some interesting beam patterns when used indoors. But, you could stick some lithium AA's in it, put it in one of your cars and have a great "forget about it" light!

STEVENT6

Enlightened
Did you use the 3 cell bulb for extended period of time. Just wondering if it could melt the reflector etc. I think I heard it mentioned here that there is a version that has a regular bulb in it.

I got and idea from someone else at cpf to use the led bulb in a lantern. I see a lot of small 4aa ones for a few $$. Does anyone know which lantern this bulb can be used in? The goal being long runtime.