Secret Aircraft

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

B-52_with_two_D-21s.jpg

Drones under wing -^-()-^-

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've spent a while poking around Edwards via Google's satellite view. Don't recall seeing a D-21, but did find an F-16XL and a F-15 STOVL aircraft. (edit: that should be "STOL"... there was never any way to make a vertical landing in an F-15 .. and walk away from it)

That's a big base too... lots of hangars and flight lines to be examined. Sort of like playing Where's Waldo, but you don't know what Waldo might be, or if there's even anything to find.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Yeah, every time they update the imagery, almost all of the storage planes have been moved around, so you have to check it often. I don't see a D-21 there now, but there are a trio of Global Hawk drones parked out in the open; you used to only see those covered if they appeared at all..

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Yeah, every time they update the imagery, almost all of the storage planes have been moved around, so you have to check it often. I don't see a D-21 there now, but there are a trio of Global Hawk drones parked out in the open; you used to only see those covered if they appeared at all..

If you zoom in and out you often see that the closer photos were taken at a different time. I looked at some jets at Miramar. As I zoomed in, they changed to Ospreys. As I got closer they disappeared, leaving only the oddest oil stains that I'd ever seen. The pictures at different altitudes were taken on at least 3 different days.

Daniel

Last edited:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just found this on the BBC website, nice 5 minutes of SR-71 Blackbird: How to fly the world's fastest plane

[video]http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20130701-flying-the-worlds-fastest-plane[/video]

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow.. it is completing a 22 month mission!
Too bad it doesn't have a facebook page so we could keep track of what it has been doing for those 22 months. :)

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Aerial drone aircraft carrier

..don't laugh, DARPA wants it

avengers-helicarrier-640x353.jpg

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
that brings to mind the Navy airships that could carry a few aircraft internally. The aircraft would launch and recover on a small "trapeze". That would have been fun to watch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airship

"The US Navy experimented with the use of airships as airborne aircraft carriers, developing an idea pioneered by the British. The USS Los Angeles was used for initial experiments, and the USS Akron and Macon, the world's largest at the time, were used to test the principle in naval operations. Each carried four F9C Sparrowhawk fighters in its hangar, and could carry a fifth on the trapeze. The idea had mixed results. By the time the Navy started to develop a sound doctrine for using the ZRS-type airships, the last of the two built, USS Macon, had been lost. The seaplane had become more capable, and was considered a better investment.[63]"

I'm not sure about having a drone carrier for manned aircraft. It would only make sense if the aircraft were drones too.... If the drone carrier was a B-52 and the drone aircraft were the size of the Quail drones that the B-52 used to carry as decoys, it might be viable. Or maybe the drone aircraft are just cruise missiles and glide bombs??

An actual navy carrier supported by giant ducted fans and with the typical aircraft and crew does raise some interesting questions. Would the deck crew stop wearing life preservers and instead wear parachutes?? Or would they just be tethered to the carrier so they could be hauled up in the event of going over the edge of the deck?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I picture a flying battery bank with repeaters and ECM on it, with a handful of small drones. The carrier flies a holding pattern near a hot area, the drones can go in, come back nearly depleted, recharge, and head back in, nonstop 24 hours a day until the carrier needs charging, maybe days later. The whole thing wouldn't need to be larger than a small private aircraft.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Couple days ago I was driving east,, right in front of me was something truly unusual.

At very first, I thought it was a drone of some kind,,
it was low flying & had unusually short wings, but it was jet shaped

can't say for sure what I saw :eek:oo:

F-104 Starfighter??
5302537.e8e2707b.560.jpg

f104_03.jpg

add:: I live in under the path of many EAA Fylin crafts,, so I'v seen lots of different stuff over the years
this one actually caught me off guard a bit..

Last edited:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
If not an F-104, the only other aircraft with fairly stubby wings that I can think of would be the Northrop F-5 (or T-38):

4238706581_0c8241193b_z_d.jpg

4238705601_5246b2fe81_z_d.jpg

Does NASA still fly any F-104s? I know that the USAF still flies T-38s, and the Navy/Marines are using F-5s for aggressor aircraft (in really cool camo paint schemes).

The 104 is still one of the coolest looking aircraft, IMHO. Too bad it couldn't carry much, or turn well, etc.