SECRET: New Fenix project ?

snakyjake

Enlightened
As a lawyer I'm surprised they responded to your email. When I worked in the entertainment industry, every unsolicited script was shredded unopened so that nobody could come back and say the production company stole their idea and sue 'em.

I guess the Chinese don't have a lawsuit-based culture (yet).

I sent in an idea too to another company, and they responded with something about not accepting an idea unless it had a patent. So I guess Federal LG could have gotten a patent, then Fenix couldn't use the idea without legal permission. Strange stuff.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several countries in the world that don´t follow the overreacted american lawsuit based culture.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent in an idea too to another company, and they responded with something about not accepting an idea unless it had a patent. So I guess Federal LG could have gotten a patent, then Fenix couldn't use the idea without legal permission. Strange stuff.

:crackup:

No... I don´t have an international patent about that. I get my money in a different way.

OrchidLight

Newly Enlightened
As a lawyer I'm surprised they responded to your email. When I worked in the entertainment industry, every unsolicited script was shredded unopened so that nobody could come back and say the production company stole their idea and sue 'em.

I guess the Chinese don't have a lawsuit-based culture (yet).

That doesn't make any sense to me. Do they videotape the shredding? Otherwise I don't see how they can prove they didn't read it. They may shred it due to they don't want to read it, but I fail to see how this protects them from a lawsuit unless they have proof they shredded it.

Bonky

Banned
They actually send it to their lawyers who shred it and keep a record of it and can show (if necessary) a company policy and records of doing so as a long-standing business practice.

You're right, they don't just give it to the secretary to shred it and dump it in the trash. :)

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
They actually send it to their lawyers who shred it and keep a record of it and can show (if necessary) a company policy and records of doing so as a long-standing business practice.

How are the lawyers (or the lawyer firm) able to prove it was never opened? Do they enlist a forensic expert?

Zenster

Enlightened
Now you can all see why recording artists will NOT accept song ideas from individuals. It doesn't matter if the work is mostly different from what an artist may write because if just one short phrase or a couple of notes are similar, the unsolicited contributor will claim that their work was "stolen".

In this case, I think the people at Fenix were just being polite (but legally foolish) by accepting the contribution and offering any comment at all.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a good idea, as long as it is an option and not the standard. It sounds like a Surefire turbo head conversion kit, or the Turbo head for a Mr. Bulk Chameleon.

Bonky

Banned
How are the lawyers (or the lawyer firm) able to prove it was never opened? Do they enlist a forensic expert?

Well I don't really want to hijack this thread, but I'll just say that it's generally not the defendant's job to "prove" anything in a copyright infringement suit.. they merely need some sort of defense that shows that it was more likely than not that they, in fact, did not use the materials that were sent to them. A defined and long-held corporate policy along with witnesses and records tends to do that.

It's very difficult to "prove" a negative. (eg, "prove" to me you've never kayaked down the Colorado River. Can't be done unless you've videotaped every second of your adult life.) The court system understands this and places the burden on the plaintiff. The safeguards that the company I worked for had in place were enough to keep them from losing any copyright infringement case.

Anyway, enough about that. Designs of "utilitarian" goods such as flashlights are usually not copyrightable unless they incorporate some sort of non-utilitarian artistry that's not part of the functioning of the product itself. Patents are a whole 'nother subject, one I'm not versed in. :)

But I am surprised that a company would be so cool with unsolicited designs sent to them, since there are other legal avenues to go down for "theft" of those ideas. :drool:

None of this was intended to be legal advice ;)

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OP doesn't seem to have a problem with this. In fact, he seems happy to spread the good news. In several posts he has tried to counter the idea that this is some kind of ripoff. The OP and Fenix exchanged messages Oct 21st, well after the release of the newly designed Fenix, with a longer deeper reflector.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks a lot, Art.

I was just trying to spread the good news (in my point of view).

:grin2:

Bonky

Banned
No I think that's great, it's usually the company that's not very willing to discuss this stuff.

I've heard of a number of folks who want nothing to do with profits, they just want to see the company make something cool, so they send a design or an idea in. It's too bad companies don't feel more at ease in working with folks like that....

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are many companies that come here on CPF asking what we want. Pelican worked with the LAPD for the 7060, no issues there. Who better to assist with design than those who use the product?

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
Well, then you can't take credit for the PD20 and PD30's new and deeper reflector. :p They've been out for longer than that.

I really don't think he is taking credit for anything.
Besides, the new PD20 does not come with a deeper smooth reflector, like the one the OP is talking about.....yet:devil:

If you guys simply read the OPs post, I think you will see that he is just trying to say that it seems that Fenix may be coming out with a new smooth throw reflector upgrade for the PD20. Coincidence or not I think its great, thanks for sharing:twothumbs

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, then you can't take credit for the PD20 and PD30's new and deeper reflector. :p They've been out for longer than that.

But I´m not trying to take credit of anything!
You guys just don´t understood what I´m trying to say since the OP!
I don´t have a patent, license, or any sh*t like that!
I don´t want money, credit for the idea, or any bullshit like that too!

I was just spreading my idea and the Fenix reply to my fellow flashaholics! I had a good idea (in my point of view), and I´m happy that it can become true in a near future!

In my original idea and design, the new smooth reflector is bigger, larger and deeper than the actual PD20 reflector. Actually, it´s slightly bigger than the Eagletac T10C reflector design.

04orgZx6r said it all.

Jesus... :shakehead

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the last 2 posts didn't make it clear, great minds just think alike and this is no different. I'd really like to see that design though.