Seeking a USB-powered AA and AAA NiMH smart charger

anth

Newly Enlightened
My quest is a USB-powered AA and AAA smart charger for my Eneloop batteries. This charger should charge each cell independently. A 2- or 4-cell charger would be fine. I travel internationally frequently, living out of a pack, and this would really simplify charging for me, reducing adapters and clutter a bit.

In my search of this forum and elsewhere, the Sanyo NC-MDU01 AA AAA USB Charger would be absolutely perfect, but sadly it seems to be discontinued. I'm open to any alternative, or an alternative source for the Sanyo NC-MDU01 (at a reasonable price - they are available on Ebay for 50+ US$!).

Thanks for your help!

-Anthony

aberson

Newly Enlightened
This review says the Recyko 2 hour USB charger is a good alternative, and some of the comments say the MDU01 recently become available again. The main advantage of the MDU01 is the little built in USB cord which gives you better flexibility as to where to plug it in, though you can also get a little 6" USB extension to go along with the Recyko

I'm thinking of grabbing one of these too, but I'd love to find a 2xAA USB powered fast/smart-charger that ALSO can supply power via a USB port to recharge a cellphone. Would be a great EDC item. Something like the Tenergy T-3000, but not a slow/dumb charger.

Even better if it had a built in flashlight, or if I could find a little USB powered flashlight no bigger than a USB plug. Would turn any any USB battery bank into a flashlight. Maybe I will make one.

Lobstradomus

Newly Enlightened
aberson - You may want to keep an eye out for a Sanyo KBC-E1, I picked one up off eBay a while ago and love it, it puts out 500mA through the USB port and can charge two AA's at 450mA each or a single AA at 850mA. Unfortunately the KBC-E1 doesn't have a flashlight and it charges off a Mini USB port instead of the more common Micro USB. Since I already carry a flashlight and would have to carry two cables for charging my phone using my ML-102 anyway, its not really a big deal with the Sanyo.

Replicant

Newly Enlightened

tangfj

Newly Enlightened
Is the SEC-MDU012AAN sold on Amazon identical to the NC-MDU01 that can charge one or two cells?

According to some of the reviews I read on Amazon the charger can charge one or two cells at a time. Charging one cell takes about half as long as it would to charge two cells to full capacity. The reviews were a bit stale but at the price I may just try one out to see if it still works the same way.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the SEC-MDU012AAN sold on Amazon identical to the NC-MDU01 that can charge one or two cells?

yep that's the one

2 independent channels. "smart" charger, does delta-V termination. this is not a dumb timer charger. extremely compact. doesn't heat up cells very much

cons: charge rate is halved when both slots are occupied. blinking bright blue led keeps you awake at night :D

Replicant

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered the SEC-MDU012AAN charger from Amazon. I'll report back when I receive it.

tangfj

Newly Enlightened
qegajegu.jpg

I got the same one from Amazon. Here's a picture of the back in case it helps anyone else. Works great so far and it is small enough to throw in any bag or pouch as a good travel charger.

Sorry for the bad cell phone pic but according to the label it outputs 850mA when one cell is inserted and 450mA when two cells are inserted. I haven't done any extensive testing on it but did plug it in and put in one of the provided two AA's that came with it and it worked just fine... then I put in the other one to make sure it could charge either one or two at a time. Works great! Good deal too right now on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: