SF A2 - I found an Easter Egg!!

greenLED

Flashaholic
I almost faint with surprise last night when I realized my special edition A2-BK-WH has an "easter egg" (a hidden feature). With all the threads devoted to the A2, I thought I'd seen all features mentioned, but apparently everybody has missed this:

Is this only in the special edition BK A2's?

I'm loving my A2 even more now! :grin2:

Edit to add:
My friend's A2 glows orange!. Here are some comparison pics alongside with my green-glowing A2:

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
GID? You purchased this light from a previous owner though, right?

Last edited:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
how faint is it? Anyone else have GITD? (glow in the dark)

JanCPF

Enlightened
:eek:oo:
Could that be afterglow from the phosphor deposited on top of the LED die? How long does it last?

Jan

Last edited:

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
No, that's definitely GITD from the back of the LED's. You can actually see the afterglow from the phosphors. It's the pale yellow part inside the green glow

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there is a tiny leakage of current across the tailcap switch, you can see that glow. Often just your hand bridging the cap to the body will be enough for some lights to give the glow.

rscanady

Enlightened
The lights arrived safely and oh what a bunch of nice suprises, thank you so much. I checked both my A2 and neither have the GID feature :rant: Just kidding, cool find though.

BTW: green those battery carriers are perfect for what I need thanks again.

Ryan

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few of my LED lights "glow in the dark" dimly for a brief time after being off. I think it's just the phosphers that tint the blue LED white.

If the LED is actually on and dimly glowing, maybe there's a residual connection being made, like through lube or something.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's odd.

Since the switch is in the tailcap, no charge could be powering the LED, right? I'd be alarmed if I thought the batteries were being drained even when it was off.

If it were phosphor glowing, it would stay there when you remove the tailcap and batts and check it in the dark. Still there? Does it go off when you remove the batts? If it does, then it's getting power. Granted, it would take a LONG time to drain batteries in this condition given the LED's already nice long runtime even when it's fully on.

greenLED

Flashaholic
OK, I suck at trying to withhold the truth. :p I feel guilty. :( I'm sorry for teasing you with the "easter egg". :(

This is an idea I've had since I was doing ArcAAA LED transplants (I add GID to LED on those). Tvodrd did a quick test and verified that my (new) idea would work, so I decided to do it with my A2:

I crazy-glued 5mm trit vials to the back of the LEDs (one per LED). :D Anything bigger would get caught in the bottom of the reflector assembly. I left the glue dry for an entire day to prevent the cyanoacrilate fumes from fogging the insides of the reflector/window. It helps if you have fine-tipped tweezers to do the mod. Glueing two vials would give a lot more glow, but I feel one per LED is enough for my needs (plus, I didn't have vials left).

The glow is much brighter than how it came out in the pics, BTW. I can clearly see my A2 from across my room in the middle of the night. I think it'd work just as well if I'd glued a vial to a single LED. Someone could use 3 different colors, just for kicks. I'm trying to convince carrot that he should do this mod with orange trit. :devil:

I've done a similar mod using GID paint, but the problem is that it only glows after you turn the light on and the GID charges - it defeats the purpose of using that as an "always on" locator, which is what I wanted this mod to do for me.

Onto a more "electrical" reference on glowing LED's (no joke this time): The Lux on my Arc LS glows for a little while (I have never timed it exactly) after I turn it on.

Again, I'm sorry for teasing you guys like that. :)

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realized after you didn't say that you got it from SF that you modded it. Or you'd be more upfront. You were beating aroudn the bush too much!!

I always thought it'd be cool in LED lights if they supplied 1ma, (or less) to the led all the time when off, so it barely lit up like GITD powder. The current draw shouldn't be too much to affect battery life unless this was a light put in storage and not used frequently.

mattyg

Newly Enlightened
How did you get access to the back of the LED's to glue the vials on? I don't have an A2 in front of me. All you did was just glue the vials on with superglue? Are you using the same vials you can get in this thread?