SF A2 - I found an Easter Egg!!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Size15's said:
Please can you show us here some photos of the mod?
Yes, of course! I'll take some tonight and try to post them by tomorrow.

Mattyg, it was just a matter of unscrewing the head, removing the lamp, removing the tiny screws that retain the LED ring, and doing the mod. Reverse to assembly the light back. :)

:ohgeez:Almost forgot: the vials came from B@rt's GB. They're 5x1mm, IIRC. It was my impression from seeing the inside of the reflector assembly that anything larger would "bump" against the hole walls where the LEDs go.

IsaacHayes, what can I say... friends call me punk. :devil:

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Personally, I'm a fan of nondestructively reversible mods, but this is really neat... Thinking about doing it...

Hey, do the LEDs charge up the phosphor in the trit vials and make them glow brighter just after you just use it?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Looking forward to pics of your mod. Are these trits still available. Like you, I waited for quite a while to purchase an A2. don't know why I waited so long.

Bill

greenLED

Flashaholic
carrot said:
Personally, I'm a fan of nondestructively reversible mods, but this is really neat... Thinking about doing it...

Hey, do the LEDs charge up the phosphor in the trit vials and make them glow brighter just after you just use it?
:D I started that way... now I just gut'em left and right. If a light survives my modding skills, it means it'll survive almost anything.:candle:

I haven't checked that, carrot - will do. I tried charging GID material with these trt vials, but it was a flop. I think they're too tiny for that. Anyone with a large tritium torch? :)

Bill, you'll have to ask B@rt. (carrot, if there are orange ones available...) :devil:

JanCPF

Enlightened
GREEEEEEEN!!! :whoopin: :whoopin: :whoopin: :whoopin: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:
:crackup: I enjoyed it though.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Here are the pics I promised:

I dabbed a tiny bit of superglue on the base of the LED (with the LED ring upside down, as showin in the pics) using a toothpick. Then I used a pair of fine-tipped tweezers to position the vials. :D

Flea Bag

Enlightened
From the pictures, it looks like a very nice, neat modification. Too bad I'm trying not buy an A2.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED,
Is there any chance that because of their proximity to the incandescent lamp that the heat could cause these vials to rupture?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Flea Bag said:
Too bad I'm trying not buy an A2.
Don't try too hard, it's an awesome light.

Leukos... :thinking: I don't know. The vials are made of some type of glass; don't know its heat rating - time (or somebody familiar with these vials) will tell.

Edit to add:
These vials are made from borosilicate glass - don't think heat is a concern. :D

What are you waiting for? You know you need an A2! :devil:

Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
AWWWW... you dirty rat! You know, you're going to become:

"The boy who cried 'Hey look I found something cool about my flashlight!'"

very shortly. You know, you made me seriously consider going back to edit my first post in this thread to "Hey, looks like you glued tritium vials into the head of your A2" just to mess with you.

;)

Seriously, very cool mod. Gotta admit once I saw the pic of the tritium vials on the back of the LED, I was impressed.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
sween1911 said:
Seriously, very cool mod. Gotta admit once I saw the pic of the tritium vials on the back of the LED, I was impressed.
:eek: I don't anybody's reported doing this before. :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
I've been getting questions about where I got the tritium vials. I bought them from B@rt's recent groupbuy. He'll eventually do another one, but it'll be in a couple of months.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED's cruel joke :whoopin: made me wonder why all these years that I have had A2's, I have not tried any GITD mods. So, I picked up some glow powder from here: http://www.glowinc.com/ (the Ultra Blue) and I mixed it with Uhu brand glue to form a paste. I then applied it to the back of my A2 LED's with a toothpick. Colored LEDs do not charge GITD that well (white LEDs work best), though one quick blast from the incandescent and they will glow all night! Here's a few pics: :)

a2_gitdb.jpg

a2_gitda.jpg

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
leukos said:
greenLED's cruel joke...
Who, moi, joking? You must have me confused with some other punk. :whistle:

Nice job with the GID paste! I thought of doing that too, but I really wanted a permanent locator glow, and the GID stuff only works after you charge it. It does glow like crazy, though! (and pure blue is my favorite)

Last edited: