SF A2 - I found an Easter Egg!!

SpEcTeR

Newly Enlightened
greenled,

Do your GITD vials glow brighter than Leuko's glow powder?

I'm thinking about doing this mod but I only have "ONE" A2 therefore I only get one shot here.

Thanks for sharing the cool mod!

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Comparing GITD powder to tritium is like comparing the SF E2e to the A2. The E2e will be brighter at first, but will soon get dimmer and dimmer, the A2 is regulated and will keep the same brightness the whole time meaning it isn't long before it is brighter than the E2e. So, the trit will be brighter in the wee hours of the morning where as the GITD will be just visible. :)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
if You use powder mixed with epoxy or something else, be4e assembling give some white paint over everything.
With the white in the "back" the output will raise significantly....

greenLED

Flashaholic
yellow said:
if You use powder mixed with epoxy or something else, be4e assembling give some white paint over everything.
With the white in the "back" the output will raise significantly....
That's good advise, except there's no real "background" to paint white inside the A2.

Leukos, precisely my thoughts about tritium vs GID. I am much happier having used tritium, as it's basically a "permanent" glow and I wanted this mod to serve as a locator.

copykat

Newly Enlightened
Looks easy enough. Where can I get the vials? are ther different sized vials?

greenLED

Flashaholic
copykat said:
Where can I get the vials? are ther different sized vials?
To answer your first question:
B@rt said:
I've been getting questions about where I got the tritium vials. I bought them from B@rt's recent groupbuy. He'll eventually do another one, but it'll be in a couple of months.
As far as your second question goes: yes, there are different sizes of trit vials. I used the smallest ones B@rt had. If you use longer ones, they'll protrude off the edges of the LED's base and you might not be able to push the LED ring back into position.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I just updated the OP with some recent pics comparing a green-glowing A2 and an orange-glowing one.

The orange is a bit dimmer than the green, but I can still see both of them *easily* from across my room. The first pic (left) is as close as "real life" as I could get the pic to show up, although the effect may seem different depending on your monitor, etc. The glow you see towards the bottom of the pic is the reflection of the tritium on the table the A2's were on. :grin2:

Also, on the second pic (to the left, showing the bare A2 LED rings), notice how the trit glows through the LED's dome (look for the glow a bit under the trit vials) - that's what makes this mod possible. Purrdy cool, if you ask me. :D

Last edited: