SF TITAN ISSUES You have any?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
For those of you who have reported the safety pin dropping out of position, I noticed that if you grab the split-ring and turn on it, the attachment disk turns as well. I'm not will to try it, but if your is broken already, try turning it and see if it unscrews.

sbebenelli

Enlightened
Just wondering if anyone has experienced this. When I first got my Titan I had to turn it more than I do now to turn it on. I would say I turn it half as much as I used before it turns on. It works fine. Just wondering if anyone else have noticed this.

Talas

Newly Enlightened
The issues I have are cosmetic: specks of dust inside the lens, deep scratches on the lanyard attachment, front end cap that holds the lens is much darker than the rest of the body, tailcap unscrews too easily and threads have a lot of play, and annoyingly gritty twist action (I've been playing with it constantly hoping that it will get smoother). Intending to EDC but do not trust the lanyard as the attachment point is too thin and I'm afraid the body will unscrew itself and fall off without me noticing. Output is significantly less than my new L1 on high. Placed my order in January and tolerated the countless delays associated with SF releases so was expecting that they were really going out of their way to make this light outstanding. Overall, I am dissapointed and not feeling like I received my money's worth. That being said, I will be keeping the light.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than the fact that mine broke after a simple 3 or 4 foot fall, Your issues mirror mine.
The debris on the emitter..the terrible action the general feeling that the TITAN was really billed as a GEM of a flashlight.
IMHO Surefire disappointed with this one.

You could have knocked me over with a feather when it broke. I was actually willing to "wait and see" if the light just needed to break in a but.
When I receive it back I will have to think long and hard about whether or not this is a keeper.
I have so many other flashlights with equal or better utility which will see more use.

I guess I would say that my issues may be broader than just the light breaking. The fact that Surefire put so much into this light and for it to be just OK for quite a number of people.
The TITAN should excel and exceed our expectations. We shouldn't have to settle for less than perfection.
Why should 1/3 or 1/3 of the TITAN buyers be happy with a Flashlight which is close to perfect and the others feel like they have not received a good value or that they received a less than perfect flashlight. Does this mean that there are a bunch of TITANS which have perfect actions and nice threads and no grittyness and that many of us received a light which should not have pased QC?
Or is it that some of us have higher standards than others.
I wonder.

IMHO it is too bad that Surefire did not consult some of the extremely talented flashlight designers and makers here on the CPF on the TITAN. Have a look at some of the amazing lights which get made and sold for somewhat less than the TITAN with quality levels which far exceeded the TITAN and you may begin to understand where my thinking is bleeding me.
I suppose this is an opportunity to learn a lesson.
For me Surefire has an opportunity to make things right. to make MY TITAN perfect. If they succede I wil be happy. I just hope I haven't set my sights too high.

Yaesumofo

The issues I have are cosmetic: specks of dust inside the lens, deep scratches on the lanyard attachment, front end cap that holds the lens is much darker than the rest of the body, tailcap unscrews too easily and threads have a lot of play, and annoyingly gritty twist action (I've been playing with it constantly hoping that it will get smoother). Intending to EDC but do not trust the lanyard as the attachment point is too thin and I'm afraid the body will unscrew itself and fall off without me noticing. Output is significantly less than my new L1 on high. Placed my order in January and tolerated the countless delays associated with SF releases so was expecting that they were really going out of their way to make this light outstanding. Overall, I am disappointed and not feeling like I received my money's worth. That being said, I will be keeping the light.

Size15's

Flashaholic
For me Surefire has an opportunity to make things right. to make MY TITAN perfect. If they succede I wil be happy. I just hope I haven't set my sights too high.
Yaesumofo
It is what it is and therefore I fear you will continue to be disappointed.
I don't expect anything to be perfect. In fact the more something means to me the less I try to expect perfection from it.

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I need a couple you guys to try this. Take off the lanyard cap to allow for tailend standing. Turn the Titon on all the way. Place it down on its tail on a hard surface. Don't slam it down, but place it down rather hard. Let me know if the light blinks at the moment of impact.

Could this be the battery compressing with the spring and loosing contact with the head of the light? The spring isn't very big or strong in the Titan.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't expect anything to be perfect. In fact the more something means to me the less I try to expect perfection from it.

While from one side I see your point, my wife for instance means the world to me so I put up with her shortfalls. However she did not roll off an assembly line, nor did I pay a premium for her. So I have no expectation of perfection... A limited run pricey collectors item should be well tested and function as well as every other item in the series. For 500 bucks an owner has every right to be treated at least as well as a customer is treated who buys a Fenix for a tenth the cost... Just my opinion...

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire have not created a "Titan Zone" on their website, nor have they informed Titan owners that they are supported by a dedicated SureFire Representative.
SureFire have not indicated that they consider the Titan to be special in terms of its price, nor in terms of the service it provides in relation to it.

McShawn

Enlightened
Mi Titan just wigged out tonight. When i turned it on after being in my pocket all day it started strobbing. I turned it off and one and few times and the strobbing does not go away. I replaced the battery and now it just strobbes at a lower light level. Has anyone had this happen to them?
I guess I get to call surefire tomorrow.
Shawn

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please do not continue to drive this topic further off course.
Please refer to the first post in the thread.
You should better as an admin.
Yaesumofo

Size15's

Flashaholic
Fair enough - lets limit discussion to issues only - whys and wherefores - feelings and assumptions can be discussed in another thread.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that we have been blown etly off topic maybe we can resume this channel to nornal communications.
How is everybody doing with their TITAN. Mine is in the shop for repair. I look fowared to receiving it backom SF. I really hope it lives up to my expectations.
Yaesumofo

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had mine for exactly one week. Apart from the slightly gritty action of the head (we now know how the retaining ring works) no problem whatsoever. :santa:

After some thought I have finally decided not to lube the ring for fear of having the lube itself all over my trousers. :shakehead

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Titan was smooth right out of the box. Brighter than the Proto we saw last year at SHOT. Been using it alot in the last week, and its worked perfectly. One-handed operation is fine. Overall, the light has met and somewhat exceeded my expectations. :)

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been EDCing mine for the past week. I've had no problems whatsoever, and I'm happy with it.

nitrox1

Newly Enlightened
Any new word. Anybody gotten theirs back yet from SF? Mines been gone 19 days now. No idea of an eta. Can't wait to get it back (working)

John