SF TITAN ISSUES You have any?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Now that we have been blown etly off topic maybe we can resume this channel to nornal communications.
How is everybody doing with their TITAN. Mine is in the shop for repair. I look fowared to receiving it backom SF. I really hope it lives up to my expectations.
Yaesumofo

What's the status of your repair? Have you heard back from SureFire?

ShortArc

Enlightened
I just noticed that mine starts flickering at 90%+ power level given a battery voltage of 2.86V. A fresh battery resolves this problem.
Thoughts anyone…

marcspar

Enlightened
Still on my first battery, but....

I like it so far - except for the appearance and function of the keychain attachment.

Since I am using mine and do not are about its collector value, I will probably ask someone to grind it off as a brave cpf'r posted.

Mine has operated without an issue and is fairly smooth turning, not yet easy with one hand, but doable.

There is some difference in shading on the body parts but it does not bother me.

The fit and finish otherwise is perfect and the beam is very nice.

It's not a bargain at $400 +, but I am feeling no remorse.

Marc

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I just noticed that mine starts flickering at 90%+ power level given a battery voltage of 2.86V. A fresh battery resolves this problem.
Thoughts anyone…

Talk about bizarre! I grabbed a used CR2 and my DMM says exactly 2.86V! I get the same flickering/strobing! Another used cell @2.92V- no strobe. A Duracell at 2.80V won't even light it! :shrug:

Larry

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received an e-mail from Surefire 6 days ago saying
"Dear Sir,

We apologize for the delay in response. The repair to your Titan is being completed today. It will ship back to you within the next 1-2 business days. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to write back or call us at 1-800-828-8809. We are dedicated to providing world class customer service.
SureFire Technical Support
1(800)828-8809 Toll Free
(714)545-9444"

That was almost a week ago.
I have not received my light back from SureFire as of yet.

I will report the quality of the repair when I receive it..Maybe tommorow?

Yaesumofo

What's the status of your repair? Have you heard back from SureFire?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
NO, not a good thing at all. This thing should fire on voltage much lower than that I'd hope. Even these lights with all this wiz-bang, SOS, Strobe, etc will fire on 2.4 volts.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Lith primaries are pretty flat discharge and way down on remaining capacity at 2.8V. I put the 2.86V cell in the light and backed off the brightness until it *just* quit strobing, and set it down. That was 2 hours ago, and it warmed up and cooled off while the output slowly decreased to a very usable level. As I type this, I am turning it off to see if it will "re-strike." It did! I just measured the cell and it reads 2.03V! wtf! Rechecked and got 2.1V. Put it back in and it still lights!

I strongly suspect "surface charge effects," as a voltmeter is not a viable measure of remaining capacity for a lith primary.

I'm still running the cell mine came with and I use the hell out of it, and that's after two continents! :D I think I would rate "strobing" on high with a dying cell a feature, as opposed to a problem! I plugged the cell back in, and will attempt to figure out what "moon mode" is about on the sucker!

Larry

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
At 3 hours, the sucker will still light with the cell at 1.87V. (A cheap DP cell from BS way back when!) It's definitely some species of "moon mode," but the level is more than adiquite to navigate my dark house. I'm favorably impressed!

Larry

ShortArc

Enlightened
I don't quite share Larry's enthusiasm over this "feature". Flickering always reminds me of immanent failure.

As the battery drains the flickering becomes less.
[Edit] Also just notices that the flickering intensity varies.

Something very strange happened with the supplied Panasonic battery which does not with happen with the Duracell Ultra.
As you increase the power the light will reach some maximum output and shut off if you turn beyond that point (ie @2.75V I could turn the dial 70% of max beyond which the light would just shut off). To re-illuminate you have to turn it all the way back to zero.
Now with the Duracell you can just crank it all the way to max and it will slightly flicker but stay lit. As the voltage drops it just becomes dimmer but will not shut off. I can not explain how a battery can make that difference? Or if there is a bug in the electronics?

[Edit] Both bats went down to 2.15V before shutdown.

Cheers,
Willem.

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys I decided to call SF to find out what is going on with my TITAN.
They told me that there was a delay and that they had decided to replace the whole light except for the body. all of the electronic parts, reflector front end and so forth. I suspect this way I get to keep my serial number.

They obviously outsource the electronic package and are waiting for that.
He promised me that in the end I would be happy and the light would function perfectly and would have a smooth action.

I suspect that My light is going to be hand rebuilt and as is always true with factory repairs the QC will be very stringent.

So They said that those parts will come in as late as Thursday (I think he is hoping) and that I should have my light back in about a week from today. We will see. They were very apologetic about the delay and are being extremely polite using yes sirs and no sirs. A bigger the top really. Hell it is only a flashlight.

All that said. I look forward to the day when Surefire sells an aluminum version (They will) and has them with different color emitters.) I want one which emits GREEN. I wouldn't mind one in RED either.

I will report again when I receive mt TITAN back from Surefire

Yaesumofo

Size15's

Flashaholic
They obviously outsource the electronic package and are waiting for that.
So They said that those parts will come in as late as Thursday
SureFire assembles the electronics packages themselves.
SureFire have several facilities. The Titan is special because Engineering team members do the majority of the construction and assembly for the Titan, indeed by hand. This is not normal operating procedure.
Based on what you've said I suggest the Titan requires parts and components to be sourced and processed at several of SureFire's facilities prior to being shipped.
Essentially they are assembled by hand in the proto-type workshop by PK's team.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I look forward to the day when Surefire sells an aluminum version (They will) and has them with different color emitters.) I want one which emits GREEN

Bucket full of :popcorn: for that one! Graduation present, anyone? :D

It'd be the only way I'd swap out my green LED ArcAAA out of my keychain. Actually, no, that'll stay there, but the Ti(Altan?) might be the perfect pocket EDC light.

nitrox1

Newly Enlightened
They told me that there was a delay and that they had decided to replace the whole light except for the body. all of the electronic parts, reflector front end and so forth. I suspect this way I get to keep my serial number.
Yaesumofo

Thank you for the report. I will hold off calling them for a week or 2 based on their reply to you. No need to be redundent. Looking forward to getting mine back, as it's a very trick light.

John...

ShortArc

Enlightened
Sent Surefire an email and called regarding the flickering. It is definitely not normal and the light should be returned for repair.
I received an RMA number in response to my email and was told the turnaround time for Titan repairs is 3-4 weeks but they are working on expediting this more quickly.
Cheers,
Willem.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I'm still running on the cell that came with it, and have used it every morning to find my way to to my truck to drive to work, and every evening several times to pour a "toddy."

I'm gonna run it down "naturally" and see what happens. (Twisting it all the way up on a regular basis.)

I'll hold off on returning mine (In person, :D ) until I figure out if it's a problem or not!

Larry