SF Z2-S: Pics and Thoughts

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
SuperTrooper, the 17670 cells that I have do not fit in my Z2-S.

Thanks for testing. I suspected it wouldn't fit, a bit of a shame but I think I'm still going to have to order one :D

Looking at the Stratum and the Z2-S, the heads look physically identical. I wonder if you could swap them to get the Stratum UI on the Z2 and vica-versa

Last edited:

munchs

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great review!:thumbsup:

Just a quick question. Can anyone confirm if it can take 2 x rcr123 ?
I tried with an unprotected 17670 and it works pretty good... it's a little dimmer though...

I can not bring myself to try 2 x rcr123. I just got this light today and I don't wanna blow its circuit only after oneday's ownership...:thanks:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any way to update the bezel with a newer LED in the future?

Or remove the LED module?

Or will SF simply make new updated bezel assemblies with updated modules inside (expensive!).

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
They might not make updated bezels for the Z2-S, AZ2, Stratum, etc.

I imagine they'd consider these lights to be bright enough for a pretty long time, the LEDs won't burn out like bulbs used to.

Either way I don't think there's any information in our hands to give us anything to go on about the future of these lights.

tsl

Enlightened
Is there any way to update the bezel with a newer LED in the future?

I'm sure one of our resident modders will be able to open up the bezel and replace the emitter. But, given the nature of the tint and output of the current emitter, I don't see any real need to do so for quite a while.

Xacto

Enlightened
Although I really, really thought that I would soley stick to the 6P family, I currently have that "I think I want that" feeling when it comes to the SF Z2-S.

With a 158 Euro price tag, I have to be absolutely sure I want one (other lights with strobes lost in my competion since I want to access that function quick, easy and without much thinking - not being a LEO I am hardly in situations were my adrenalin starts pumping).

So - are there any new real-life experiences when it comes to the light and its strobe function? Problems? Ease of access? Effectiveness of the strobe?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Thorsten

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest, I would not be using the strobe for the purpose of disorientation. Bright light does this just as well as strobe (in my opinion).

Therefore the fact that you have to think about the access of the strobe is a positive, as you wont accidentally enter the mode and then become confused or disorientated yourself over what is going on.

Yes it is simple to access. But it is not so simple that you will just accidentally enter the mode when using the light for it's normal purposes.

I think the strobe is very effective and useful, for gaining attention.
I would not rely on any strobe for disorientation. However with that said, it may very well be useful.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for testing. I suspected it wouldn't fit, a bit of a shame but I think I'm still going to have to order one :D

Looking at the Stratum and the Z2-S, the heads look physically identical. I wonder if you could swap them to get the Stratum UI on the Z2 and vica-versa

My AZ2 and Stratum won't take 17670 too. It's not surprising. I believe SF did that to prevent CR123a batteries rattling in the body tube.

Don't even think about switching the head with the Stratum. SF had the head sealed to the body of the Stratum with Loctite. It was confirmed by an email reply from SF.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
My AZ2 and Stratum won't take 17670 too. It's not surprising. I believe SF did that to prevent CR123a batteries rattling in the body tube.
Don't even think about switching the head with the Stratum. SF had the head sealed to the body of the Stratum with Loctite. It was confirmed by an email reply from SF.
Same thing goes to the Z2S. Tried one at my dealer only to find the bezel loctited also...

tsl probably heated the bezel and broke the loctite, see original pic from post 1 and notice the residue on the threads.

Looking at the Z2S's body tube, it seems that it won't take 17670 either -- the CR123s fit snug inside the tube. Also, no double o-rings at tailcap threads.

Overall build quality is OK, but performance is quite disappointing.

Being a modular SF user, I'd rather prefer an M2 with a Malkoff dropin. It's a better investment IMO.

tsl

Enlightened
Same thing goes to the Z2S. Tried one at my dealer only to find the bezel loctited also...

tsl probably heated the bezel and broke the loctite, see original pic from post 1 and notice the residue on the threads.

Actually, I did nothing to the bezel other than twist it like I would in taking off the bezel of any other SF light that I own or have owned. It was a little more difficult to do, but it didn't take any feat of strength to do. I thought that the residue on the threads was just due to some poor SF Quality Control and not due to anything ele.

I have a 2nd Z2-S, and the bezel did not come off. That one more than likely has Loctite on it.

Last edited:

Xacto

Enlightened
I just got an e-mail from Surefire confirming that they indeed glue the head to the body.

My question:
".....regarding your new SF Z2-S there are some rumors in a few message boards that the head assembly containing the LED is glued to the body tube at the threads....."

the answer (excerpt):
"The LED head of the Z2-S is adhered to the body of the light with Loctite. If there are any issues with the LED (not caused by misuse, modifying or experimentation) you can send the light to us for repair."

I am not a native speaker, but is there any chance that either my question got misunderstood or that I misunderstood the answer? I am asking because there a some Z2-S owners that seem to have no loctide on the threads.

Cheers´
Thorsten

Size15's

Flashaholic
No misunderstanding.
Yes the bezel is glued.

Occasionally less glue is applied allowing parts that are intended to be sealed to be unscrewed.

My impression is only one example of the Z2S has had 'insufficient' glue. Unless I've not been following closely

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al,

Do you know why that is the case?

Regards,
Tom
As I have speculated in a thread I started, I believe SF does not want users to swap the bezel between the Stratum and the Z2-S. The bezels look similar, so are the reflectors. The only difference would be the UI so I think SF does not want us to swap the bezels due to compatibility issues?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I do not think that SF epoxies their heads because they do not want mods to occur, they do it to secure the head to protect it from the outside elements. Gene Malkoff protects his drop ins with thermal epoxy so that they are secure, not because he does not want them to be modded. We must not become paranoid about why this or that is done by a manufacturer.

Bill

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, I don't really bother about whether SF had Loctite on the bezel or not. I prefer to use the Stratum stock as it is. It is good enough and I love the tint of the warmer K2 TFFC. No point for me to change to a cooler XP-G or any other emitters.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Honestly, I don't really bother about whether SF had Loctite on the bezel or not. I prefer to use the Stratum stock as it is. It is good enough and I love the tint of the warmer K2 TFFC. No point for me to change to a cooler XP-G or any other emitters.

Spot on!

I'm loving the tint of the TFFC too. I'm not sure if it's what they call neutral or warm but I do know that I like it.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Whilst from a Flashaholic perspective I can see that enabling users to have only one method of accessing the batteries for replacement and thus minimise the number of threaded components that must be maintained and cared for to keep out the elements seems strange.
Whilst we find it strange that normal users more than likely wouldn't even dream of mixing up the bezels of lights that serve very different purposes, not least because they'd have to buy both first and rather than see them as tools to help achieve goals, see them as the goal itself...

Whilst it is possible that a flashlight company could exist to serve a market other than Flashaholics, how likely is SureFire to be such a strange anominally?

Of course I'm trying to make a point - Flashlight designers aren't obligated to consider Flashaholics when they design flashlights that aren't intended to be [solely] for us.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I'm sure this won't be an obstacle for those determined modders, as you mentioned in another thread. I'd really like to see what happens if someone swaps the Stratum head with the Z2-S head though...