Shipment of lithium batteries brings down UPS Boeing 747

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
They need to be transported in inclosed mental containers that are in a vacuum. No air in side. No air no fire.

Unfortunately, my understanding is that won't work, as lithium batteries do not require "external" air/oxygen for combustion

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
No Air, No Fire.
From my limited knowledge, most lithium fires have started by not following rules to prevent such from happening.
All lithium lion cells being shipped should be discharged to 10% prior to packaging.

ItnStln

Newly Enlightened
All lithium lion cells being shipped should be discharged to 10% prior to packaging.
I've heard that, but is it IATA policy to ship by air? The last time I tried to look it up in the DGR I couldn't find it.

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
All that is required is an oxidising agent. Oxygen works, but there are others - I'm no expert but I gather lithium based batteries usually have such an agent, or can have when heated sufficiently.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
No Air, No Fire.

2023-09-26 - Clemson - Lithium-Ion battery fires.jpg

FPA - Lithium-Ion battery fires generate their own oxygen .jpg

Thompson Safety - Extinguishing the Fire .jpg

Last edited:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the future, people are going to think we were stupid and insane to use lithium batteries. Thermal runaway just seems too unstable to me. But I'm not getting rid of my lithium batteries...yet. Guess I'm stupid and insane. 🤪

jtr1962

Flashaholic
In the future, people are going to think we were stupid and insane to use lithium batteries. Thermal runaway just seems too unstable to me. But I'm not getting rid of my lithium batteries...yet. Guess I'm stupid and insane. 🤪
Especially when a safe version of the chemistry, namely LiFePO4, has existed for over two decades. I'd rather trade off a little energy density for peace of mind knowing my batteries can't become blow torches.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
No Air, No Fire.
From my limited knowledge, most lithium fires have started by not following rules to prevent such from happening.

From my limited knowledge/understanding (I am certainly no expert) you are incorrect

I have posted some articles above, explaining why