Side-Standing: the New Tail-Standing

JohnnyLunar

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I don't know why no flashlight manufacturer (that I know of) has ever tried an adjustable tailstand feature. I know some offer a removable rubber ring, but this 4 flat-sided screw in/out sleeve would be an integrated feature that accomplishes 5 features:

• Tailstand
• Easy tactical switch access
• Anti-roll
• Cigar hold
• Tripod compatibility

Are you listening flashlight designers? :)

herosemblem

Enlightened
...from a practical standpoint...can't we just go ahead and make it official that side-standing is the new tail-standing?

No.
From a practical standpoint, shining a flashlight against a wall is a horrible idea, compared to standing a flashlight on its tail.
A terrible recommendation that must be suppressed immediately.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Side standing helps keep you from looking into the light, which invariably happens when I'm adjusting a tail stander. Sometimes I'll just lay it down and aim it away.

Geoff

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
There's nothing new about either tailstanding or "sidestanding".

I've used both techniques all the way back to the 1970's and I'm sure others were using both since the invention of flashlights.

Sometimes it's better to aim a light directly at something, sometimes it's better to "ceiling bounce".

Henry50

Newly Enlightened
I don't think i've ever used a tail stand in my life. I've found when i use torches (usually camping) i have my head torch, and hand held torches just fall over due to uneven ground.

jmwking

Newly Enlightened
I lose power several times a year, sometimes for more than a few hours. Tail standing is very helpful for me.

-jk

hydrou

Newly Enlightened
IMHO a good EDC light needs to tailstand without tumbling.

Otherwise it may be a nice tactical light with tactical protruding switch, but nothing for me then.

BTW: Great idea with the gorilla pod, guess I need one.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even if a light won't tailstand at all there's nothing keeping you from propping it up, I see the need for tailstanding being more if you were picking it up often, moving it from room to room, then rigging it each time might seem more and more of a hassle.
know what I mean? If you were just going to leave it pointed at the ceiling for a long time it doesn't really matter if it tailstands or not, leave it in your bag with the top open, put in in your boot, etc.
If you're going to move it around like a candle repeatedly then yeah, and make the light short and wide while we're at it.

Last edited:

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
Even if a light won't tailstand at all there's nothing keeping you from propping it up, I see the need for tailstanding being more if you were picking it up often, moving it from room to room, then rigging it each time might seem more and more of a hassle.
know what I mean? If you were just going to leave it pointed at the ceiling for a long time it doesn't really matter if it tailstands or not, leave it in your bag with the top open, put in in your boot, etc.
If you're going to move it around like a candle repeatedly then yeah, and make the light short and wide while we're at it.

I used to think this way until I actually had a light with tailstanding ability. Once I actually had it I found myself using the ability far more than I would have guessed. But for me (in the spirit of the thread title) my "New Tailstanding" is really hanging my EDC with the carabiner I use for carrying it. I can't imagine using tailstanding outdoors, but hanging the light aiming downward is just incredibly useful. Instant "lantern".