Simple flashlight modifications anyone can do

D6859

Enlightened
D6859 I'm not seeing your pics.

Seems like Kapsi have some problems serving the pictures. Not all pictures were shown in my mobile either. They are all on the server though. Try refresh and/or remove cached images in your browser.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make a lantern, using.. well anything. The mini got the ball from a roll-on deodorant, or insect repellant stick. Dont remember what i made it of. But it was some roll-on stuff.. The prince got a dust cover for some kind of hydraulic hose. If it fits, and is semi transparant, you got a lantern. the nice ting about a ball, is it fits anything, depending on how big hole you cut/drill :)
DSC_0577_zpswlovlhng.jpg

I have also used paper to make a lantern.
Paper tissue. Rolled over the light, and held in place by the clip.
DSC_0582_zpsbzgcjf6b.jpg

Last edited:

chanamasala

Enlightened
Made my Energizer 85 lumen AA into a real tactical forward switch by taking it's reverse switch and putting it into my Coast HP1 and vice versa. The Coast switch is quality and took 10 minutes of filing its plastic to get it to fit into the Energizer. Coast's squeezes into the Energizer with just a firm push. Pretty easy mod. I use the Coast for like chores and I EDC the Energizer so it's perfect for me. Shaved the lanyard ends off on the Energizer for easier momentary on use.

http://imgur.com/a/7dWE6

tex.proud

Enlightened
All great posts so far. I'm loving this! Thank You to those that have posted. EXACTLY what I was hoping for with this!

ncgrass

Enlightened
Nothing too exciting, but I use an armytek prime c1 lanyard ring on one of my elzetta bravos. Does the job just fine if you don't like elzettas. I use it because it's lower profile and fits in the nite ize holster. It lacks the breakaway feature but despite have two if those lanyard rings, I don't need them right now.

Keep the tips coming, these are great!

cyclesport

Enlightened
With so many small "pocketable" EDC lights now utilizing flush, or almost flush, electronic side switches... it becomes hard to quickly orient the light in your hand properly to allow one to find the switch by feel alone. I sometimes use a drop of colored silicone caulk on the switch to provide a raised bump that allows me to quickly find the button by feel, and visually by using a color that stands out on black switches and black anno'd lights.

The caulk adheres well to rubber or metal switch faces, and can be trimmed with a sharp knife, or razor blade when completely dry to make it protrude only as much as desired.

MX421

Enlightened
Make a lantern, using.. well anything. The mini got the ball from a roll-on deodorant, or insect repellant stick. Dont remember what i made it of. But it was some roll-on stuff.. The prince got a dust cover for some kind of hydraulic hose. If it fits, and is semi transparant, you got a lantern. the nice ting about a ball, is it fits anything, depending on how big hole you cut/drill :)

I have also used paper to make a lantern.
Paper tissue. Rolled over the light, and held in place by the clip.

Have also done this. I've been known to spend a few cent extra on a bottle of shampoo because the cap will fit what i'm carrying that day as a diffuser. I like the roll-on deodorant ball idea. My wife hates that i dig through the recycle to grab the cap off some plastic bottle she is trying to toss.

BTW, trader joes has a shampoo that the hole fits a Eagletac D25A perfectly. The bottom is flat and can sit on top of a tailstanding larger light as well to make a great temporary lamp. Will try and edit in the actual brand later and perhaps a pic.

Mercyfulfate1777

Newly Enlightened
Not much to add here but i have been using some Buck Nylon sheaths to hold some of my smaller lights like tex.proud mentioned. works excellent.

Great thread btw.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
At first, when I put the SC600 to a horizontal surface, given the weight of it, it would slide down. I then used the 320 grit sandpaper on the outer surface of the magnet until it stuck. Here it is on the side of my toaster oven. Notice there are vent gaps in the side of the toaster oven. Even with them, it now sticks.

Other potential ways to solve the sliding issue include coating the magnet with plasti-dip or a piece of gaffers tape. These also have the added benefit of helping protect the magnet against chipping if dropped.

garyoNC

Newly Enlightened
Here's mine, use this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-2-in-x-15-ft-Safety-Walk-Step-and-Ladder-Tread-Tape-7635NA/100132176 on hand-held tools.

Anti-slip tape on slippery surfaces. I have put this on Mag lights and many others and it works great. I use it on tools, guns, anything that requires a good non-slip grip. On my Mags a put it on in a ring just below the head with a slot for the switch. I handle my Mags overhand so it's in the perfect position to use as a club if needed. For $12 you'll be amazed at all the uses you will find for this stuff. I use some pretty severe chemicals in cleaning stuff I have taped and this tape rarely needs to be replaced. Made by 3M so adhesion is outstanding.

k3751

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight protac 1L clip for HDS rotary. I haven't used my leather holster since. $5 at Brightguy.