Simple flashlight modifications anyone can do

tex.proud

Enlightened
The idea here is to post simple modifications that just about anyone could do.

I have searched through CPF and found sporatic threads about simple modifications. Most of what I came across were about more in-depth modifications of the internals. This is for the layman. We've all had good ideas on how to improve the carry, functionality, or aesthetics of our lights. This will hopefully become the place folks come to find what they can do, with simple items and knowledge, to modify or customize their light, or the way they carry it.

Have you found a clip to fit a light that doesn't have one, or one that works better for you? Post it! And by all means, tell us where you got it.

Have you attached a lanyard? How'd you make it? Post it!

Have you found a sheath for something completely different that works for a light you have? Post it!

Have you discovered a simple little tip or trick that you have implemented with the use or carry of you light? Post it!

My only caveat is that it must me SIMPLE. Something just about anyone can do. Modding a switch, or swapping a LED is not suitable. If it requires specialized knowledge or equipment, it's not suitable. Please apply the KISS principle here. And please be thorough. Say you made a lanyard for your light, and it's just the greatest thing you did for it because of the ease of removing it from your pocket, and you don't recall how you made it, but DO recall that you found a youtube video on how to make it. Let us know. Simple, easy, breezy...covertorch.

It doesn't matter how "out there" it is. I have a knife sheath that fits a couple of my lights very well. Would everyone here have that knife? Probably not, but I'm going to post it anyway. That's the idea. Anything simple that you have found works for you. It may spark someone's creativity, and a light go "Ding!"...I have something like that!

I'll start with a couple posts of things I've found.

Edit: PICS PLEASE!

Last edited:

tex.proud

Enlightened
While looking for sheaths online for different lights I got disenchanted, and started thinking outside the box.

I found that the nylon sheath for a knife I own (Protech Emerson CQC7 automatic) fits a couple lights of similar size. My Zebralight SC600w MKIII Hi, and ArmyTek Prime A1 Pro warm.

IMG_20161111_192836_zpscjq8umtp.jpg

And after realizing that I would NEVER use the small loop on the Zebralight that only fits a small keychain loop, I filed it off. I used my WorkSharp belt knife sharpener that I use for my kitchen knives, because it puts a great convex edge on them, to grind down the mound that was the lanyard loop. I suppose you could use a dremel, or any grinder at that.

IMG_20161111_191435_zpsmrabvi4s.jpg

No, the bare metal doesn't bother me. I am much more function over fashion. NONE of the gear that I use remains pretty.

After doing this, it fits in my HDS Systems kydex holster bezel up. Slightly tighten the top tension screw, and you can securely carry your Zebralight SC600 (variant) in that holster.

IMG_20161111_191500_zpsvvxov9v4.jpg

It has the Large TekLok on it in this picture. If you wear a narrow belt you can use a Small TekLok, and look/feel a bit smaller.

tex.proud

Enlightened
I LOVE my Zebralights! Because of the run-time of the SC32w I really wanted to carry it at work, and did so for a while, but I couldn't find a way to put it on my company ballcap for hands free. I found that the clip for the Manker T01 fits the ZL SC52w perfectly! I took off the OEM clip, and use the Manker clip instead. I carry it in my shirt pocket for easy access, and slip it onto my cap frequently.

IMG_20161111_190243_zpsbehzbyls.jpg

tex.proud

Enlightened
I have purchased the AA, CR123, and 18650 versions of both Zebralight and ArmyTek to compare them. Without reviewing the lot I can simply say that the ArmyTek has ONLY ONE thing above the ZL. The magnet in the tailcap. I find that I use it much more than I originally thought I would. So I did something about it.

I went to my local Hobby Lobby, and picked up a 3-pack of 20mm magnets.

I used 600 grit sandpaper to begin with, but ended up using 320 grit sandpaper to prepare the mating surfaces. The tailcap, and the side of the magnet I'd be putting to the tailcap. A light sanding. I did not take off the anodizing, just roughed it up, and removed any surface protection or oils from handling.

Imagine sanding a metal magnet...yeah, I used a cheap, abrasive paper towel to gather the metal dust off of the magnet. Then a damp rag.

Once I was satisfied that the dust was gone, I cleaned both mating surfaces with Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) from the medicine cabinet. You know, the stuff MOM would put on a scrape, that hurt like H-E-double hockey sticks! before she put on a band-aid and kissed it better.

Apply a bit of superglue to both surfaces, wait a minute, and carefully place the magnet on the tailcap. Handling the magnet by the edges, not touching the cleaned surfaces. Center it, let it set for an hour, and done.

IMG_20161111_211702_zpsdru1hetr.jpg

IMG_20161111_184314_zpsxsapes6k.jpg

IMG_20161111_184342_zpsunz6j2rm.jpg

At first, when I put the SC600 to a horizontal surface, given the weight of it, it would slide down. I then used the 320 grit sandpaper on the outer surface of the magnet until it stuck. Here it is on the side of my toaster oven. Notice there are vent gaps in the side of the toaster oven. Even with them, it now sticks.

20161111_184553_zpsazqsw88k.jpg

My Zebralights are now the most utilitarian lights that I own. Hands down. The run-times, the size, the weight, the beam, and now the magnets! Hazaa! Yes folks, the Texas Renaissance Festival is in full effect. Hence, the HaZaa!

Have a nice day!

ven

Flashaholic
Not really a mod, but leather holsters can be expensive, so after a little searching i found some xeno ones in a brown colour. Perfect fit for HDS and haiku's. Around £8 ($10 ish) from HKe, really good value

Clips wise, like the pd35 to name one can move easily on the light. Rotate that little bit too easy so i put a little dab of glue behind the clip. This secures it enough to not move, yet if needs to be removed(for any reason) can be. Also worked on smaller AAA lights like the e05 ss, the clip of the DQG aaa fits fine

Clip on the e05ss

Also the little ti and stainless lobster clasps can be bought cheap, an easy way to quick ditatch your light from key rings

Get fed up with plain bezel rings...............simply heat treat. Pliers and a gas hob(or blow torch)
Out of the box

Treated

Crenelated heat treated

Other than the black z2, others all HT'ed

Of course clips, little screws can be done also..............easier if placed in clip loose when treated to get a more even look from the clip to screws.
Clip on the a6

Screws in clip

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Removing ano with caustic soda. Lests say you ding up your light, or just dont want every light to be black. this one got a ding.
DSC_0494_zpsi6tx8hhv.jpg

First, use protection. Glowes and glasses. You dont want this on your skin.
Mix caustic soda and water, do it outside or in a well ventilated place. The gas is nasty. Other forms of drain cleaner might be fine too. But i like plumbo with caustic soda. Carefully place the light in the mixture and scrub it (with someone elses toothbrush) for a minute or two depending on how strong the mix is. The ano washes off easely. And you end up with this.
DSC_0497_zpsyasuh0d7.jpg

Now you need to polish it. I use a eletric drill and polishing pads + autosol (or other metal polish). Apply the metal polish on the light and not on the pad. If you put it on the pad it will fly everywhere when you start the drill. Use glasses, even if you put the metal polish on the light, there will be some polish that gets trown around, you dont want this in your eyes. Wash the light in soap when you think youre done.
tmp_8971-DSC_0543-125410983_zpsaf4wm15k.jpg

All done. Easy.
DSC_0499_zpskg1qrbjf.jpg

The threads on the tube and tailcap still got anodizing. So it might look like a ss light, but it still got tailcap lockout :)

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use fine wire wool and T-Cut to clean the metal after deanodising.
I've been racking my brain for something to contribute, but you're way ahead of me, Tex.
P

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you can use any kind of rubbing compound to make it shine. I prefer to use a drill and a pad + metal polish. It's the fast way to make metal shine.

Black lights matters, but sometimes, you want a shiny knight instead :)

irongate

Enlightened
The idea here is to post simple modifications that just about anyone could do.

I have searched through CPF and found sporatic threads about simple modifications. Most of what I came across were about more in-depth modifications of the internals. This is for the layman. We've all had good ideas on how to improve the carry, functionality, or aesthetics of our lights. This will hopefully become the place folks come to find what they can do, with simple items and knowledge, to modify or customize their light, or the way they carry it.

Have you found a clip to fit a light that doesn't have one, or one that works better for you? Post it! And by all means, tell us where you got it.

Have you attached a lanyard? How'd you make it? Post it!

Have you found a sheath for something completely different that works for a light you have? Post it!

Have you discovered a simple little tip or trick that you have implemented with the use or carry of you light? Post it!

My only caveat is that it must me SIMPLE. Something just about anyone can do. Modding a switch, or swapping a LED is not suitable. If it requires specialized knowledge or equipment, it's not suitable. Please apply the KISS principle here. And please be thorough. Say you made a lanyard for your light, and it's just the greatest thing you did for it because of the ease of removing it from your pocket, and you don't recall how you made it, but DO recall that you found a youtube video on how to make it. Let us know. Simple, easy, breezy...covertorch.

It doesn't matter how "out there" it is. I have a knife sheath that fits a couple of my lights very well. Would everyone here have that knife? Probably not, but I'm going to post it anyway. That's the idea. Anything simple that you have found works for you. It may spark someone's creativity, and a light go "Ding!"...I have something like that!

I'll start with a couple posts of things I've found.

Edit: PICS PLEASE!

Thank You for saying it so simple. Very good post.

PolarLi

Enlightened
If you forgot your headlamp, some shrink tube on a small metal light, transform it to a 'comfortable' mouth light.
Self-amalgamating tape or just electrical tape works too.

ruXr9ul.jpg

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "p7 suspention clip" is perfect for small lights that totally dissapear in you pocket. Or if you just want a extra deep carry clip. Shown here on a vollsion sp11 aaa light.
tmp_27348-DSC_0552590308909_zpsvsubaqqu.jpg

tex.proud

Enlightened
The "p7 suspention clip" is perfect for small lights that totally dissapear in you pocket. Or if you just want a extra deep carry clip. Shown here on a vollsion sp11 aaa light.
tmp_27348-DSC_0552590308909_zpsvsubaqqu.jpg

I like that clip. I've been using these. Found on the bay for $1.25 As thin as they are, not so easy to grab. May need get some like yours.
IMG_20161112_100940_zpse4wu34yd.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Last edited:

D6859

Enlightened
Wrapped orange tape around the body of my Thrunite TN12 so that it's easier to find if I drop it on the ground:
tn12_mod1.jpg

I also added two small magnets on the pocket clip. My roommate got them from physics department and they are pretty stron for the size:

tn12_mod2.jpg

tn12_mod3.jpg

It seems that the pocket clip takes a lot of hits without me noticing it. I used to have heat-shrink tube around the pocket clip to hold the magnets but I had to replace it after a few weeks since it was so worn. Now I use electrical tape.

D6859

Enlightened
Not sure if this is off-topic, but here we go... I like to carry my flashlight in the pocket so the pouhces are often left unused. With a little piece of velcro sewn on, my TN12 pouch is perfect for my Ganzo G733.

tn12_mod5.jpg

It is illegal to carry a knife in public here in Finland but I like to carry mine on the belt at home. I've forgotten it on the belt some times when going to the grocery store so I decided carry it in the pouch. That way it's at least a little bit hidden if I forget it again.

tn12_mod4.jpg

With the added velcro the pouch is now perfect fit for my Convoy S2+ and it's better for my multitools etc. also :)