Single AA lights that can ran 14500

ridnovir

Newly Enlightened
Can someone list current single AA lights that can comfortably ran 14500 without loosing mods or excessive overheating.
Thanks

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark Pro/Tactical low voltage head. (0.8~4.2V)

Fully regulated with all modes preserved.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on if you want longer runtime or higher output.

Quark Pro/Tactical LVH with XP-G and XP-G2 will have significantly longer runtime.

Quark X Pro/Tactical LVH with XM-L will output 400 lumens when running it with input voltage equal or exceeding 3V, meaning that you can lego a 1xAA body and feed it 14500 and you will see a ton of light without it going into direct drive and losing lower output modes.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's the SWM and Jetbeam variable ring lights with extension tubes, but you'll lose low lumen runtimes due to the electrical overheads, and then there's the ZL SC-80 but I think it may max out at 220, and then there is the Xeno 03, but all modes get cranked up on Li-ions so no lows or long runtimes. Balder also makes something in that will run both.

I'd go with the Quark X

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off the top of my head here's a few more to add to the list:

Zebralight SC51
- runs fine on 14500. About 260 lumens. The top of the battery compartment has exposed driver chips on it though. Works best with 14500s with raised tops that will easily fit between the chips. With other 14500s, you may have to rotate the cell a few times to get it to work. Heat is not an issue and can run for extended periods of time on 14500.

Zebralight SC80 - officially supports 14500 and runs fine with no issues on them. Slightly brighter than when running on AA. All modes retained and can run for extended periods of time on 14500. Heat is not an issue.

Eagletac D25a
- runs direct drive on 14500. Output on AA is 137 lumens. This rises to 700+ lumens on 14500. Light loses all low modes. Due to high current, if you run on 14500 I recommend using IMR cells only. Also keep the light in your hand to help wick off excess heat, and don't run it at max power for more than a few minutes at a time.

Spark FL 190
- works fine on 14500. Slightly brighter than AA. Can run for extended periods of time on 14500. Heat is not an issue.

Quark mini AA - retains modes in 14500 and is very bright. Make sure to keep in hand while running on 14500 and only run for short periods of time as the tiny body cannot shed heat fast enough.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's the SWM and Jetbeam variable ring lights with extension tubes, but you'll lose low lumen runtimes due to the electrical overheads, and then there's the ZL SC-80 but I think it may max out at 220, and then there is the Xeno 03, but all modes get cranked up on Li-ions so no lows or long runtimes. Balder also makes something in that will run both.

I'd go with the Quark X

Sunwayman variable ring lights such as the V11r work fine on 14500 and retain full variability including the very low settings. The only difference is the high is much higher, and the light heats up fast.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunwayman variable ring lights such as the V11r work fine on 14500 and retain full variability including the very low settings. The only difference is the high is much higher, and the light heats up fast.

Yeah, I know... I did say "lose low lumen runtimes"... guess I should have also added "vs a multi-mode clicky like the Quark or SC-80". I also would assume the OP is considering lights that are actually rated to 4.2V, so if it goes poof, you can get a warranty repair, people have poofed the Quark Mini for example.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
what about the Xeno E3?

Xeno E03 works fine on 14500. The T6 version outputs around 490 lumens at max power. All 3 modes work, but are quite bright. Instead you get medium, high and turbo. There is no real low mode when running on 14500.

Due to the high current involved, I recommend that if you use 14500 in the E03, you should only use IMR cells.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xeno E03 works fine on 14500. The T6 version outputs around 490 lumens at max power. All 3 modes work, but are quite bright. Instead you get medium, high and turbo. There is no real low mode when running on 14500.

Due to the high current involved, I recommend that if you use 14500 in the E03, you should only use IMR cells.

I've got the T5 NW and I think that's rated at 400 and the T6 at 430. I'm using Sanyo 840mAh unprotecteds in mine with good results. I haven't worried about getting IMRs for my 03, although I might do so down the road.

The light does get toasty after a while, running on high. I think low is 110LM with a 14500, so there is no low, lol.

I love my Xeno 03.

My ShiningBeam I-Mini with AA adapter will also run the 14500, but my Sanyo button tops are wide and shallow and don't make proper contact. I've thought about hitting it with a drop of solder, but haven't done so. I just use a RCR123 and things are nifty.

Chris

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast

also, besides this the runtimes are not as long as the quarks. (i own both so i can attest to this statement)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regular or Tactical Quark AA's are good with 14500's If you want a bit of lego, get the Quark AA2 X then get an AA tube. At least you have the flexibility to run two AA's for almost the same output as running it with the AA tube and a 14500. Two lights in one! :)

Then in the future, if you want two independent lights, you can opt to purchase a low-power (4.2volt) Quark head and really turn them into two physical lights. (At least the option to do that is there)

Or you can opt for the Quark AA2 Turbo head. If you run that with the AA body and a 14500, you'll have a pretty capable pocket thrower! Won't beat any existing records, but the throw's decent enough to be classified a "pocket thrower"

Here's a sample of what i was talking about. (But for this one, I used the head of my Turbo X and the AA body with a 14500 cell. Not bad, eh? :)
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/5136/img00023201202211520.jpg

Your image is too large and has been replaced with a link. Please resize and repost.
See Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast

hey thanks!!! will do for today's EDC duty..maybe not because my Nitecore D25 NW clicky on 14500 blows it away!

Last edited:

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone list current single AA lights that can comfortably ran 14500 without loosing mods or excessive overheating.
Thanks

Check out the various Lighhound private-label lights on their website. I had several of them before they migrated. All of them functioned OK on 14500. They did become quite warm to hot - although I did not measure the temps.

Racer

Enlightened
The Jetbeam BA10 takes a 14500 (though not officially) and retains both of its modes.