• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sky Lumen Nguyen Pre-Order & Serial Reserve

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Thanks very much NoBones.

Now for my 1st question - AND PLEASE VINH - if you would rather not have this kind of discussion in this thread just let me know where to ask. Easy enough to move to another thread or start a new one. I'm sure I'm not the only person wondering how to get the best from your
Sky Lumen BABY. This thread is fine.

As a THROWER? My 1st inclination is to think this SLN would make a great night time spotter light out in the woods - maybe with an auxiliary red lens. So the question is - Will this make a decent thrower spotting light? How big a beam might there be a 20', for example? Would I get a 12" dia. spot at that distance or 6"? Bigger spot at greater distance even better!!!

I read this in another thread - "Yes the less the beam spreads the more light can be put further down target. That's why lasers can throw so long." If that's the case would the beam be pencil thin and the spot not much bigger? I have a TN32 that Vinh has modded for my current thrower. It works beautifully from my back porch but is a bit large for lugging on walks.

If the answer is YES - SLN could be a great little thrower - then the question is - what LED(s)(true to color rendition) & reflector would optimize this use?

I haven't decide that a thrower is what I want. Most often I'm partial to lighting up the scene in front of me - big spread, true colors, 4 or 5 brightness options. BUT - the little thrower concept could make a very fun and useful light and so I ask.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sam

It seems you do not want a dedicated thrower with a tight hot spot so I would not recommend W1.1 or W2.
SST40 HD 5000K with a smooth reflector is what I would recommend. Seems to to be the higher output, larger hot spot, with a neutral tint that you are after.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I had the same concerns, but since they are p60s that I can use to upgrade old hosts as well I got the smooth single w1.1 and the quad w2.

This is a modular system so don't stress out too much about which light engine to use. Just buy a light engine you think you want and if the beam/tint doesn't work out exchange it for a different one. I will add more P60vn specs as I have them.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
12LED MCPCB has arrived!
Custom copper shell has not so I am using our normal Quad shell for demo.
12 XPL 5000K V6 Bin is going to be AMAZING!
Ultra smooth gold plated surface for excellent thermal epoxy or solder bonding
Extra thick 2mm MCPCB VS conventional 1.6mm thick MCPCB
Left out all most + and - signs to keep elegance
4 SL logo for symmetry

Question: Should I leave the prints in Black or go with a different color?

SpBxj2H.jpg

Z7UutsO.jpg

spZttZK.jpg

1XOFXdJ.jpg

Last edited:

Samlittle

Enlightened
I like the black on blue but bright red on blue with the yellow bulbs could be exceptional.

OR - blue lettering on the white field, as is your LOGO.

As to your reply to my questions - "It seems you do not want a dedicated thrower with a tight hot spot so I would not recommend W1.1 or W2. SST40 HD 5000K with a smooth reflector is what I would recommend. Seems to to be the higher output, larger hot spot, with a neutral tint that you are after."

How tight would the hot spot of a W1.1 or W2 be at say - 100 meters out?
I will look for some beam shots n other threads of the SST40 HD 5000k. Thanks.

Sam

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I like the black on blue but bright red on blue with the yellow bulbs could be exceptional.

OR - blue lettering on the white field, as is your LOGO.

As to your reply to my questions - "It seems you do not want a dedicated thrower with a tight hot spot so I would not recommend W1.1 or W2. SST40 HD 5000K with a smooth reflector is what I would recommend. Seems to to be the higher output, larger hot spot, with a neutral tint that you are after."

How tight would the hot spot of a W1.1 or W2 be at say - 100 meters out?
I will look for some beam shots n other threads of the SST40 HD 5000k. Thanks.

Sam

Hard to say unless we measure it but its still TIGHT with W1.1. W2 will be 1/2 as tight or twice as large.

Patriot

Flashaholic
12LED MCPCB has arrived!
Custom copper shell has not so I am using our normal Quad shell for demo.
12 XPL 5000K V6 Bin is going to be AMAZING!
Ultra smooth gold plated surface for excellent thermal epoxy or solder bonding
Extra thick 2mm MCPCB VS conventional 1.6mm thick MCPCB
Left out all most + and - signs to keep elegance
4 SL logo for symmetry

Question: Should I leave the prints in Black or go with a different color?

SpBxj2H.jpg

Gosh Vinh, that's just incredible! I'm very excited to see what the output figures look like. Considering how impressive an E07vn mule looks, I can't imagine how amazing this engine is going to be. I guess that cell choice will be important and I'll be interested to know what both a 50E and 30T will do with this drop in.

I also think that white with blue print would look awesome but if that can't be done, blue with white print would be my 2nd choice. The black will be very difficult to see at that size.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Gosh Vinh, that's just incredible! I'm very excited to see what the output figures look like. Considering how impressive an E07vn mule looks, I can't imagine how amazing this engine is going to be. I guess that cell choice will be important and I'll be interested to know what both a 50E and 30T will do with this drop in. SAME SAME SAME I would likely run my serial 1 with 50E as nightstand ceiling bounce light and 30T when I take it for Show & Tell. Can someone please help me find a fitting diffuser for this light?

I also think that white with blue print would look awesome Great! Blue & black prints + White and Blue prints will both be available! Some like it discrete and some like it flashy.

but if that can't be done, blue with white print would be my 2nd choice. The black will be very difficult to see at that size. I did originally chose black cuz I like it discrete. Dont want to show off 4 logo too much. But now we will have White and blue prints also for those that wants the extra bling.

Whoever ordered a LilVortex will get a confirmation email on which MCPCB they prefer. You may also email me now if youhave decided.

Patriot

Flashaholic
That's great to hear Vinh! I think I'll probably go white with blue print but I'll send you an email, as requested.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Getting there!!

The bead blast gave an even matte look and should give an excellent surface for the HAIII bonding. :)

Really can't wait!

1owJ9hO.jpg

6OXLgfJ.jpg

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Congrats on this run of lights Vinh! I hated I missed out on the initial run of Bare Al. IF anyone wants to sell theirs, pls shoot me a PM. Thanks!

Brandon G.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Congrats on this run of lights Vinh! I hated I missed out on the initial run of Bare Al. IF anyone wants to sell theirs, pls shoot me a PM. Thanks!

Brandon G.

It's so crazy how the bare raw was so popular. I try not to make many too much of those so u guy can would actaully put the light to use and not let it sit on a shelf.

Latest posts