• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sky Lumen Nguyen Pre-Order & Serial Reserve

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
DriverVN4 will also be upgraded for SLN to handle even higher current. Havnt upgrade this driver for a while. Ui will be the same.

Patriot

Flashaholic
DriverVN4 will also be upgraded for SLN to handle even higher current. Havnt upgrade this driver for a while. Ui will be the same.

It's great to hear this Vinh. Excellent work giving the SLN the best of everything, including this ground breaking P60 mule engine AND upgraded DriverVN4. I can't wait to hold 027!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
It's great to hear this Vinh. Excellent work giving the SLN the best of everything, including this ground breaking P60 mule engine AND upgraded DriverVN4. I can't wait to hold 027!

I cant wait to see what a bead blasted black one. At first I was going to skip gold adolyned on the threads and the bead blast to save some money but then I said what the heck. Already this far. I want all the parts finish to match and I also want the threads protected as well. Just another week...The wait seems forever!

Patriot

Flashaholic
I cant wait to see what a bead blasted black one. At first I was going to skip gold adolyned on the threads and the bead blast to save some money but then I said what the heck. Already this far. I want all the parts finish to match and I also want the threads protected as well. Just another week...The wait seems forever!

So they're going to Bead blast the black typeIII? Interesting finish! It must be a special/delicate process because normal glass bead blasting just cuts right through typeIII. Perhaps is a lower abrasive media of some kind.

I was trying to search this gold adolyned thread finish but couldn't find anything about it. Are we talking about a form of gold Ti Nitride coating or something else?

scout24

Flashaholic
I'm glad to see the minor trolling on the last page has stayed there. Vinh- I'm in for a black host on the next run, no LE. It's encouraging to see a builder keeping the P60 host platform alive with a vengance! I wish you nothing but luck and continued success with these. As has been stated here by others, it's the most versatile, future-proof platform in our hobby. Let the haters make noise, keep doing what you're doing... 😁

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
i suppose i hadn't been following closely enough to know that these were P60 hosts. either way, i know the rules on disparaging remarks on sales threads.

texas cop

Enlightened

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
P60 is still very relevant!! It's the format that's been on my duty belt for several years. Modular, durable and now in 21700 format. Vinh, can you post the length, diameter and weight of your host?
https://skylumen.com/collections/v54-lights/products/sky-lumen-nguyen-preview-1
20. Dimensions
Head & Body Width: 33.33mm/1.31"
Clicky Tail Cap + Clip Width: 39.14mm/1.54"
Length with Clicky Tail Cap: 134.22mm/5.28"
Thickest point @ body 5.75mm/.226"
Thinnest point @ tail cap & Head 1.53mm /.06"

Is the head interchangeable with the original? No

The reason I ask is for parts like these; https://www.lumensfactory.com/en/product_detail.php?pid=196 and https://www.lumensfactory.com/en/product_detail.php?pid=396

Thank you

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
i suppose i hadn't been following closely enough to know that these were P60 hosts. either way, i know the rules on disparaging remarks on sales threads.

In the beginning I thought about making proprietary light engines. Our team even had the idea to make the light engine and the body internal slope so that they would wedge into each other naturally without needing foil. Bezel pressure will be heat sinking contact pressure. However I feel foil serves the purpose well if done correctly as demonstrated in the torture videos. Why make a proprietary engines and make everyone's life tougher with added costs and that one must purchase from me if the gain is negligible?

Handling many Surefires with dented bezel and cracked glass I was determined to help revive this platform. On top of making a bulletproof host I would also like to expand on this platform capabilities. A massive flood 12LED light engine is in the making and its suppose to be the brightest on turbo for the packaging and also most efficient on lower levels due to the high LED count sharing the load. I have plans to add additional tail caps and bezel options to serves different purposes. There might be a extra long 4*18650 body paired with a much larger head and reflector thrower option which will also be built on the 12LED custom copper shell. Who knows yet, the options are vast. But the main goal is to have a light that one might consider if their life depends on it.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
  • If you order the ORings Pack I will install the 2 Extra Water Resistant ORings on the body.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
A loosen clicky retaining ring can give poor or no connection. In SLN I soldered the clicky to the copper retaining ring and this solves potential connection issue of a loosen ring. The copper retainer ring pressure now is mostly to hold the rubber boot tight against the tail cap wall for water resistant. A very loosen ring may let in water but it will no longer give connection issues as spring pressure from the light engine and the switch will always close the battery current path.

STdbvEn.jpg

Samlittle

Enlightened
Hey look what I have :thumbsup:

# 30

SLN-#30.jpg

What a beautiful - soon to be - flashlight!

After a long hiatus from CPF (I actually thought that my membership had lapsed - OK that no one has missed me :anyone: :)) I have been drawn back in by Vinh's super excellent SLN project. I am very happy to be part of this great endeavor. Congratulations Vinh. You, my friend, have done it right and watching the process has been so much fun. Very glad I stayed connected to Sky Lumen by email. (I'm Dusty, the knife guy, in case you are wondering.)

I came in today to sign back up on CPF and learned that I never left. :wave: Have been checking in as a lurker for more than a month now. Could have joined in on the CPF sign up for this light after all. As it was I ended up on ILLUMN to order my SLN. Glad I didn't miss it.

Have lots of questions as to what the features/engine/LEDs/batteries I will want in order to make the SLN the best light for me. I don't want to burden Vinh with a dozen emails while I try to learn, so I hope I can spread the burden around by asking you guys. With your collective experience and flashlight wisdom I'm pretty sure that when it comes time to send the SLN body to Sky Lumen I will be specifying a very cool and useful light.

Have to run now but I'll be back. Looking forward to chatting and sharing with you all.

Cheers, Sam

Last edited:

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey look what I have :thumbsup:

# 30

View attachment 11106

What a beautiful - soon to be - flashlight!

After a long hiatus from CPF (I actually thought that my membership had lapsed - OK that no one has missed me :anyone: :)) I have been drawn back in by Vinh's super excellent SLN project. I am very happy to be part of this great endeavor. Congratulations Vinh. You, my friend, have done it right and watching the process has been so much fun. Very glad I stayed connected to Sky Lumen by email. (I'm Dusty, the knife guy, in case you are wondering.)

I came in today to sign back up on CPF and learned that I never left. :wave: Have been checking in as a lurker for more than a month now. Could have joined in on the CPF sign up for this light after all. As it was I ended up on ILLUMN to order my SLN. Glad I didn't miss it.

Have lots of questions as to what the features/engine/LEDs/batteries I will want in order to make the SLN the best light for me. I don't want to burden Vinh with a dozen emails while I try to learn, so I hope I can spread the burden around by asking you guys. With your collective experience and flashlight wisdom I'm pretty sure that when it comes time to send the SLN body to Sky Lumen I will be specifying a very cool and useful light.

Have to run now but I'll be back. Looking forward to chatting and sharing with you all.

Cheers, Sam

Welcome back! Nice score on that light! Congratulations.

Samlittle

Enlightened
Thanks very much NoBones.

Now for my 1st question - AND PLEASE VINH - if you would rather not have this kind of discussion in this thread just let me know where to ask. Easy enough to move to another thread or start a new one. I'm sure I'm not the only person wondering how to get the best from your
Sky Lumen BABY.

As a THROWER? My 1st inclination is to think this SLN would make a great night time spotter light out in the woods - maybe with an auxiliary red lens. So the question is - Will this make a decent thrower spotting light? How big a beam might there be a 20', for example? Would I get a 12" dia. spot at that distance or 6"? Bigger spot at greater distance even better!!!

I read this in another thread - "Yes the less the beam spreads the more light can be put further down target. That's why lasers can throw so long." If that's the case would the beam be pencil thin and the spot not much bigger? I have a TN32 that Vinh has modded for my current thrower. It works beautifully from my back porch but is a bit large for lugging on walks.

If the answer is YES - SLN could be a great little thrower - then the question is - what LED(s)(true to color rendition) & reflector would optimize this use?

I haven't decide that a thrower is what I want. Most often I'm partial to lighting up the scene in front of me - big spread, true colors, 4 or 5 brightness options. BUT - the little thrower concept could make a very fun and useful light and so I ask.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sam

Bronco

Enlightened
Thanks very much NoBones.

Now for my 1st question - AND PLEASE VINH - if you would rather not have this kind of discussion in this thread just let me know where to ask. Easy enough to move to another thread or start a new one. I'm sure I'm not the only person wondering how to get the best from your
Sky Lumen BABY.

As a THROWER? My 1st inclination is to think this SLN would make a great night time spotter light out in the woods - maybe with an auxiliary red lens. So the question is - Will this make a decent thrower spotting light? How big a beam might there be a 20', for example? Would I get a 12" dia. spot at that distance or 6"? Bigger spot at greater distance even better!!!

I read this in another thread - "Yes the less the beam spreads the more light can be put further down target. That's why lasers can throw so long." If that's the case would the beam be pencil thin and the spot not much bigger? I have a TN32 that Vinh has modded for my current thrower. It works beautifully from my back porch but is a bit large for lugging on walks.

If the answer is YES - SLN could be a great little thrower - then the question is - what LED(s)(true to color rendition) & reflector would optimize this use?

I haven't decide that a thrower is what I want. Most often I'm partial to lighting up the scene in front of me - big spread, true colors, 4 or 5 brightness options. BUT - the little thrower concept could make a very fun and useful light and so I ask.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sam

Nice score, Sam.

As to your question, I'd recommend starting at Vinh's P60 page on his website for a general overview of what's currently available:

https://skylumen.com/collections/v54-lights/products/p60vn-light-engines-p60-hosts

As you can see, the single W1.1 LED reflectored light engine will give the maximum throw at 566m. The trade off is that your lumen output is only 550lm. I've opted for the quad XPL HI emitter which offers a bit less throw (I'm guessing in the neighborhood of 380m), but with a far greater output possibly up to 4000lm.

Last edited:

Samlittle

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply and recommendation Bronco.

My hesitation stems from not having a sense of how the specs translate to a real world beam of light. :confused:

Don't think I need a small thrower that will send a beam out 1500 feet or more. 1,000 would be more than plenty - especially if the hot spot has a spread of several feet at that distance. I only have a much bigger thrower to compare - my TN32.

I'm leaning to these 2 options:

• Single Smooth Reflector White2 5400K - Higher output thrower 1000L, 65Kcd, 490m
• Quad White2 5400K High output with improved throw and HS over 50.2 3500L, 40Kcd, 400m

The Quad seems to offer the most "all purpose" and do that exceptionally well. Would love to see comparable beam shots of these from a similar sized light to the SLN. What does "HS over 50.2" mean?

Still learning. Thanks for any advice.

Sam

Renegadethreads

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply and recommendation Bronco.

My hesitation stems from not having a sense of how the specs translate to a real world beam of light. :confused:

Don't think I need a small thrower that will send a beam out 1500 feet or more. 1,000 would be more than plenty - especially if the hot spot has a spread of several feet at that distance. I only have a much bigger thrower to compare - my TN32.

I'm leaning to these 2 options:

• Single Smooth Reflector White2 5400K - Higher output thrower 1000L, 65Kcd, 490m
• Quad White2 5400K High output with improved throw and HS over 50.2 3500L, 40Kcd, 400m

The Quad seems to offer the most "all purpose" and do that exceptionally well. Would love to see comparable beam shots of these from a similar sized light to the SLN. What does "HS over 50.2" mean?

Still learning. Thanks for any advice.

Sam

I had the same concerns, but since they are p60s that I can use to upgrade old hosts as well I got the smooth single w1.1 and the quad w2.

Latest posts