SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

appears to terminate lower than the set voltage
How do you come to this conclusion? "lower" .. do you mean in reference/comparison to your DMM measurement? If you set TARGET VOLT 1.47V, then mc3k will terminate when mc3k measures 1.47V. when mc3k measures 1.43V, then mc3k will not terminate. So you mean that your DMM is measuring "1.43V" (in this example) after taking out the battery? Sure, that would be natural, if you have not matched your DMM and mc3k thru the User Calibration.

Today i finished testing and verifying the bug fixes in 1.04ceita. 2-3 new minor bugs discovered on the way, k#34-36. :huh:

recDNA

Flashaholic

So I just cannot get through 243 pages... How about some kind soul summarizing why I do not want this charger? Post 1 talks about the reasons I do. I think somewhere I read it doesn't make good contact with some batteries? Is it safe, dependable, work well for a few years?

recDNA

Flashaholic

Do you care about how many C you're putting into your batteries? Do you want to see pretty graphs of he charge?

If you just want to charge batteries, this charger is way way overkill. But if you want to tweak every little thing and know every little detail about your batteries, this is the one to get.
I want to test maH of my older batteries to see if it is time to dump them. Will this do that without a degree in electrical engineering to figure out how?

You know what? I think I have read enough to know this is too hard.

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

I want to test maH of my older batteries to see if it is time to dump them. Will this do that without a degree in electrical engineering to figure out how?

The software is somewhat complex, and the charger functions werent mapped at keypresses that came to me intuitively. But after about an hour with it, everything was clear and easy to work with.
So I just cannot get through 243 pages... How about some kind soul summarizing why I do not want this charger? Post 1 talks about the reasons I do. I think somewhere I read it doesn't make good contact with some batteries? Is it safe, dependable, work well for a few years?
It has flattop batteries compatibility issues. If the positive isnt protruding, you will need to raise tge battery(which becomes complicated if you are charging 3-4), or use a magnet
Heres a list of flattop batteries that i tested:

Need raising/magnet
Samsung 18650 25R
Samsung 18650 30Q
Efest 18500 purple 1100mah
Tensai/enerpower 18500 blue 1100mah
Vappower 18500 1100 mah
Sanyo 18500FK
Efest 18350 purple 700mah

Work without raising/magnet

LG 18650HG2
Panasonic NCR18500
Vappower 18350 750mah

Last edited:

billcushman

Enlightened

The charger is very easy to use and you can quickly learn to program it to do everything you want. Be sure you read the conclusion of the HKJ review. The MC3000 is a superb charger/analyzer, in a class by itself, and highly recommended for anyone that wants the best.

Albert_

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Albert, one of my concerns is updating this too. When you are running Vista Home I think a person is sunk. This should be a good investment though.

I'm running Windows Vista 64-bit. PCLS display problem I have isn't related to the OS. The problem is the software is written for a 1080p monitor. My 720p display monitor won't recognize 1080 video signals. PCLS needs the video resolution set to 1080 or a video resolution that's close to 1080. As you change video resolution from an OS the video output signals produced by a video adapter are changed accordingly.

My cell screen was unintelligible, (with the main screen's bottom cell cut-off) after experimenting with different fonts and text dpi plus a few other settings I was able to get the cell configuration screen working.

Vista 64 bit has been 100 percent compatible with all my 32 and 64 bit programs. I've never had any problems loading drivers, using serial devices, etc. Windows 8 and 10 on the other hand potentially has problems with some types of programming.

The only problems I've ever run into is programming written for Windows 7 & 8 - 10 64-Bit, not backward compatible to Windows Vista 64-Bit. Some user's have reported problems running their Windows 7 programs under Windows 8 & 10. I don't know this is pretty common. All OS's have had problems over generations of upgrades. Upgrade problems have occurred with Windows since Windows 1.x ... I've been running, upgrading, installation & modifying OSs since before GUI operating systems came into existence. It's much more streamlined today, years ago alot of configuration was required, often there were no hardware drivers available, etc.

I don't foresee any USB problem with my older PC's USB 2.0 host controller. My USB HUBs and ports are either USB 1.1 or USB 2.0. Apparently some PCs are having problems with their USB 3.0 Host controller which is comprised of one USB 3.0 HUB and one USB 2.0 HUB, for backward compatibility. Potential loading of USB drivers conflicts occur and a USB 2.0 device may not be recognized while the USB 3.0 HUB is enabled.

Windows 8 and 10 cores are almost the same, the main difference is the Windows GUI Manager. I have a Windows 8 upgrade that could be installed and upgraded to Windows 10 on my current PC. However, I'm not going to install Windows 8 or 10 until I have a PC with more recent hardware architecture.

Last edited:

Milw light

Newly Enlightened

Do you care about how many C you're putting into your batteries? Do you want to see pretty graphs of he charge?

If you just want to charge batteries, this charger is way way overkill. But if you want to tweak every little thing and know every little detail about your batteries, this is the one to get.
I'd like to work up to that. I wanted to be sure I could use it in the meantime....thanks.

Albert_

Newly Enlightened

Albert, sorry you still don't have your MC3000. Where do you live? To answer your questions, read the first paragraph on page 16 of the MC3000 Manual. The unit has six temperature sensors, two are on the Heatsink and the others are on each of the four slots. The results can be displayed in ℉ or ℃. I haven't felt any need to measure battery temperature with my Laser Temperature Gauge. The batteries have always been cool to the touch. The battery temperature seldom gets to as high as 100℉.

From user's manual.

"
SysTemp→ #1,#2 → #3,#4 → ...

Shows the temperature as recorded by temperature sensors placed right at the internal aluminum cooler and as reported by the 4 sensors at the slots. Note that these are correct values at the sensors themselves and cannot be precisely the spatial temperature average of the targets of interest. Since it is practically impossible to isolate thermal paths in a compact 4-bay charger, heat may reach the different sensors from various directions and sources, hence actual battery temperature will be higher or lower than indicated, depending on the complex charging and the environmental situation.
_________

Temp Unit

Lets the user choose the preferred temperature unit to be displayed in GSV, SPV, SOV, and elsewhere.
_____

BattTemp

Shows the battery temperature, or to be more precise, the slot temperature. Same value as seen in GSV, it mostly serves as safety feature for battery overheat protection. To change the temperature unit, go to GSV and change Temp Unit. Note that physically, temperature is a scalar field quantity, i.e. any point on the battery surface will have a different temperature and depending on the charging situation and your environment, the extreme temperature points on your battery may be notably cooler or warmer than the single value given here.

SysTemp

Shows the internal system temperature. Same value as seen in GSV, it serves as safety feature for device overheat protection. At full load it can go as high as 80°C or higher and will shut down operation thereabout. The cooling fan is controlled by this value.
________

TOV = total overview
IMV = info message view in TOV
UCV = user calibration view in TOV
SOV = slot operation view
SPV = slot programming view
GSV = global setup view
DDV = diagram drawing view

"

Apparently the "Operating Temperature" specification is a min. & max. ambient room temperature range.

Battery Temperature: 20°C ~ 70°C safety cut-off (+ safety net) (68 deg. F ~ 158 deg F.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Temperature: 85°C safety net (185 deg. F)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Operating Temperature: 0°C ~ 40°C ventilated room (32 deg. F ~ 104 deg. F)

Last edited:

millguy

Newly Enlightened

Could someone who knows more about this stuff than me answer a quick question?
Why is the target voltage for NiMh batteries set at 1.65 volts? Mine always terminate around 1.53 and quickly drop to around 1.47. I'm assuming it's because the termination is not based on actual voltage?
Thanks for any insight.

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

Why is the target voltage for NiMh batteries set at 1.65 volts? Mine always terminate around 1.53 and quickly drop to around 1.47. I'm assuming it's because the termination is not based on actual voltage?
Thanks for any insight.
It terminates earlier because of delta peak.
If you want to reach higher voltage , increase the value. 3-5mv is recommended value.
With high delta peak you risk overheating the battery if it is an old one

millguy

Newly Enlightened

Thanks. So the target voltage is set high because the termination method ensures it will never actually reach that voltage?

Milw light

Newly Enlightened

Maybe there is hope for this old computer then Albert. I will probably get this charger as I don't think I will outgrow it anytime soon.

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

Thanks. So the target voltage is set high because the termination method ensures it will never actually reach that voltage?
There might be some batteries that can go up to 1.65, i dont know.
My guess is that they used 1.65 with 3mv delta peak as default, so it covers most of scenarios. Newer cells wont be restricted by voltage cutout and older ones wont be stressed much with 3mv delta peak.
The great thing is that we got an uber charger that can change almost every value , so we can always experiment what fits the bill best, right :)

millguy

Newly Enlightened

Got it.
Thank you for the information.

Devon

Newly Enlightened

How do you come to this conclusion? "lower" .. do you mean in reference/comparison to your DMM measurement? If you set TARGET VOLT 1.47V, then mc3k will terminate when mc3k measures 1.47V. when mc3k measures 1.43V, then mc3k will not terminate. So you mean that your DMM is measuring "1.43V" (in this example) after taking out the battery? Sure, that would be natural, if you have not matched your DMM and mc3k thru the User Calibration.

Today i finished testing and verifying the bug fixes in 1.04ceita. 2-3 new minor bugs discovered on the way, k#34-36. :huh:

When terminating on voltage (only tested NiMH) the charger terminates slightly lower than what you ask it too....and the higher the C you use the greater the differential....

My DMM reads perfectly, so does the charger.....test it in the charger Squirrel.....setup a termination at say 1.45v with 0.4C (1amp) on an eneloop pro and the battery will read about 1.43v even in the charger.

This is not a problem mind you.

Last edited:

Albert_

Newly Enlightened

Maybe there is hope for this old computer then Albert. I will probably get this charger as I don't think I will outgrow it anytime soon.

After reading through the manual I get a feeling the author and creators of the charger want to take users to another level learning and understanding of batteries and charging. The user's manual a little difficult to read at first until becoming familiar with the acronyms and abbreviations, some of which are used with the chargers UI.

icon4.gif

When plugging in and use, you may want to make note of details from the User Manual's - Warning and Safety Precautions and Quick Start Guide.

"

Warning and Safety Precautions

Remove all batteries and unplug the charging unit from the power source when not in use.

Operating Instructions

Proper handling suggests that all batteries be removed prior to operation.

First connect the 11~18V(60W or more) DC power adapter plug to the device, then plug the 110/220V AC power cable plug into the mains wall socket. In this order. The device boots up and displays the "UI Mode Selection.

"

Last edited:

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

When terminating on voltage (only tested NiMH) the charger terminates slightly lower than what you ask it too....and the higher the C you use the greater the differential....

My DMM reads perfectly, so does the charger.....test it in the charger Squirrel.....setup a termination at say 1.45v with 0.4C (1amp) on an eneloop pro and the battery will read about 1.43v even in the charger.

This is not a problem mind you.
Are you measuring the battery voltage after the load is off, after the charger has terminated?
If that is the case, it is normal for voltage to drop a bit.

Ferdinando

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for any insight.

I think 1.65 V is a cautelative setting
to avoid premature charging termination
(caused by voltage cutoff)
on cells with high internal resistance