SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Swede74

Enlightened
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

I updated using a HP Pavilion G6 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 SP1. The update was successful, but where is the game?

(k#38) add in GSV some hidden generic LCD games for 1 player (CONFIRMED, DONE)

Let us be completely honest for a minute; the game is what we all really have been waiting for, isn't it?

MarioJP

Enlightened

Ok, here it goes. Going to update.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

Did they make the minimum voltage to check for IR 3.3V?
If that is the case than its actually a step backwards for people like me, as i know it worked ok before....

Be aware that IR can increase much at low SOC, e.g. see the graph below. So it is better to calculate it at higher SOC if you want a result that reflects the IR in normal SOC ranges.

6PkU4.jpg

Graph excerpted from p. 1-4 of Challenges and Solutions in Battery Fuel Gauging, by Yevgen Barsukov.

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

Be aware that IR can increase much at low SOC, e.g. see the graph below. So it is better to calculate it at higher SOC if you want a result that reflects the IR in normal SOC ranges.

6PkU4.jpg

Graph excerpted from p. 1-4 of Challenges and Solutions in Battery Fuel Gauging, by Yevgen Barsukov.

We are talking about different things.
I didnt have in mind how precise is IR measurement at given SOC, but the fact that with the new firmware you dont get an IR reading when charging a battery that is discharged below 3.3v.
Not a very big deal tbh, but it still is a step that doesn't consider all users/types of batteries, and its a step backwards for my needs.

sns

Newly Enlightened

Hi,

Just tried to update the firmware and on count 4 it showed the error. Now the device boots only in blank white screen mode, no usb connection is possible. Is there any way to recover it? It is nearly impossible to send it for repair for me.

tjh

Enlightened

Hi,

Just tried to update the firmware and on count 4 it showed the error. Now the device boots only in blank white screen mode, no usb connection is possible. Is there any way to recover it? It is nearly impossible to send it for repair for me.
What was the error?

I believe if you boot the device with enter pressed down (unplug all power, hold down enter, plug in power) you can reflash it.

What operating system do you use?

scarnific

Newly Enlightened

Updating now but process is stuckat 32%. Blank screen for 5 minutes now.
What can I do? I don't want to power off.

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

Updating now but process is stuckat 32%. Blank screen for 5 minutes now.
What can I do? I don't want to power off.
Are you by chance using a front usb port?

scarnific

Newly Enlightened

Problem solved by himself, stuck for some minutes and than terminated correctly.

sns

Newly Enlightened

What was the error?

I believe if you boot the device with enter pressed down (unplug all power, hold down enter, plug in power) you can reflash it.

What operating system do you use?

Hi,
error.2 start vector.

Now if I start it with ENTER pressed down - windows says USB device was unable to start, but when I just start it and plug it in - Device description failed. So it differs...

Windows 10 x64, I have two machines - Surface Pro and stationary PC.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

We are talking about different things...

No, we are talking about the same thing. My point was simply to mention the increase in IR at low SOC, in case readers were not aware of that. If you want to use IR as a health metric then it would be better to measure it at higher SOC - where it better reflects the IR in typical usage conditions.

sns

Newly Enlightened
Phew! That was scarry!

1. Pressed ENTER and plugged it in to a wall adapter (it will power up on USB connection as well!)
2. Checked if there are any unknown USB devices in Device Manager (on stationary PC this usb connection did not worked - it has Intel USB 3.0 device - must be plugged it in there..., but on Surface Pro - everything seemed to be ok).
3. Started Update Program - it said "Device found" - GOOD!
4. Started update - it went OK and device is now working and upgraded!

Thank You very much for that hint with ENTER!! Thought I've got a bricked 100$ charger at hand for now on (it would not be worth sending it and receiving back - shipping costs would be the same as the device or even more).

Success!

tjh

Enlightened
Phew! That was scarry!

1. Pressed ENTER and plugged it in to a wall adapter (it will power up on USB connection as well!)
2. Checked if there are any unknown USB devices in Device Manager (on stationary PC this usb connection did not worked - it has Intel USB 3.0 device - must be plugged it in there..., but on Surface Pro - everything seemed to be ok).
3. Started Update Program - it said "Device found" - GOOD!
4. Started update - it went OK and device is now working and upgraded!

Thank You very much for that hint with ENTER!! Thought I've got a bricked 100$ charger at hand for now on (it would not be worth sending it and receiving back - shipping costs would be the same as the device or even more).

Success!
Yeah, I was just trying to find the post about how to recover it, but I knew holding enter was key (I tested it on my charger and it booted up a blank screen)

Good to know you've recovered and v1.11 updates are still 100% success

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

No, we are talking about the same thing. My point was simply to mention the increase in IR at low SOC, in case readers were not aware of that. If you want to use IR as a health metric then it would be better to measure it at higher SOC - where it better reflects the IR in typical usage conditions.

Sorry, didnt pay much attention and only scratched the surface of what you were trying to say :). By rereading, i got ya.
While your statement holds water, i think that it doesnt affect IMR(LiMn2O4) that much as it does standard li-ion . And mind you , im not talking about setting it at ultra low voltages, more like 2.8v-3.0v as minimum for IR measurement.
Just my somewhat educated oppinion :).
Do you by any chance have the same charts with IMR batteries tested?

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

..While your statement holds water, i think that it doesnt affect IMR(LiMn2O4) that much as it does standard li-ion ...
Do you by any chance have the same charts with IMR batteries tested?

Qualitatively it is the same for all Li-ion chemistries. The rapid increase in IR when the cell is near empty is (partly) what causes the more rapid decrease in voltage after the "knee" of the discharge curve. If this did not occur then the curve would have much less of a knee.

Beware that there is a lot of false and misleading info about Li-ion tech on the net, including about internal resistance. For example, a large part of BatteryBro's Myth #5 on internal resistance is either false or misleading.

Last edited:

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

Qualitatively it is the same for all Li-ion chemistries. The rapid increase in IR when the cell is near empty is (partly) what causes the more rapid decrease in voltage after the "knee" of the discharge curve. If this did not occur then the curve would have much less of a knee.

Beware that there is a lot of false and misleading info about Li-ion tech on the net, including about internal resistance. For example, a large part of BatteryBro's Myth #5 on internal resistance is either false or misleading.

I was aware that the higher the IR the more pronounced the V drop under load.
I said it is my oppinion that it doesnt affect IMR as much as standar li-ion , because in tests i made the IMR have lower v drop and knee exibits at a lower voltages compared to standard li-ion.At least with cells i own.
Sanyo UR18500F - knee at 3.3V
Panasonic NCR18500 - knee at around 3V
LG INR18650-HG2 - Knee exibits at around 2.8v.
Samsung INR18659-30Q - max i discharged it is 3v and no pronounced knee up to that voltage, i suppose it would have the same results as the LG as tests on these 2 batteries show they have almost identical performance.

So by this i conclude that measuring IR on the lg at 2.8v would give me results with the same precision as measuring the sanyo at 3.3v or the panasonic at 3v. Correct me if im wrong.
So why shouldnt we have the option of getting the IR without an additional step , right? :) .
I really think it wouldnt bother anyone, but rather make things easier for part of us to have the option to set the min voltage for IR measurement as desired.

And ill mention again that 0.15A charge rate if battery is below 3.2V , thats even more annoying and time consuming.

Edit:
Mixed IMR with INR, but you catch my drift

Last edited:

Ravel

Newly Enlightened

I updated using a HP Pavilion G6 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 SP1.
Updated ok with zinblows 7, home, 32 bits, via USB2 + basic anker cable
now
HW 1.4+
FW 1.11

Thanks for the hardwork to skyrc and contributors.

Will check soon that the DEX CVS version is still working

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

Well, I'll take safety over saving a few minutes time every day.

Im not saying remove it alltogether... But make the 3.2v as a factory default and give me the option to change that.
As we dont all charge the same battery chemistries/models, and while it would be good to have it at 3.2 for certain batteries, its plain just a waste of time for others.
I guess thats not to much to ask, we do have the uber charger to rule them all, right, right ? :)

Minimoog

Enlightened

Well this is good news about the update! I have checked mine - but it is already running the current version (1.0.2) for my early charger according to the details.

I will try my later charger tomorrow.