SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Oiyuk Ti

Newly Enlightened
Me tries to see and understand all available operations for storing modifications to program number, slot/-s number, modifying program number for slot/-s and starting program and get a handy overview. Hardy to get it on one single manual read session. I am not quite comfortable with elaborations made in manual - rough portion of own work needs to be done to get understanding.
In general these are actually two independent operations: saving modifications and starting program although at few points there seem to exist shortcuts to conduct these two in one step. Additionally saving modifications has two dimensions: saving to memory, saving to number of slots.

It feels like manuals chapter "SPV - The controls in SPV are as follows" was complete not until considering also descriptions in "SPV - Save To". I mean former one to be a generic description of possible operations which possibly feature certain level of parameterization (chapter does not dig into parameterization details) - e.g. bullet 3 - while the latter one be presenting parameterization details. For me it is unclear which SPV controls else does the Save To setting apply to (e.g. bullet second from end too?).

sbj

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried the "CHEAT SHEET" yet?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?428121

sbj

Newly Enlightened
Me tries to see and understand all available operations for storing modifications to program number, slot/-s number, modifying program number for slot/-s and starting program and get a handy overview.....?).
I have now played around with changes to the program again and looked when the changed memory will be permanently overwritten and when not.
(FW: 1.13)

The changed program is not overwritten if:
1. The program is left at the end after the changes by pressing the "Stop button" twice. The changes will be lost. - That's logical.
2. The program is copied to another memory number after the changes with "Save to [new memory number]. The settings are copied to the new memory number. - Also logical

In all other cases, regardless of whether you just hold the SNB button for a long time to start, or complete these changes with "Save to:" Ready or All Slots, the edited memory is permanently overwritten. - Not necessarily logical.

I would like the changed memory not to be overwritten if:
1. Hold down the SNB button (to start the current slot with the changed values).
2. With "Save to All Slots" wants to use these temporary settings in all inactive slots.

This would help to avoid having to overwrite a memory completely every time due to small changes.

Another option would also be e.g. "Save Temp. to Slot", "Save Temp. to All Slots".

Last edited:

simply123

Newly Enlightened
Disc. Cut-Off current(A) vs Discharge Cut Current

Hello everyone,

just spent an hour searching internet but couldn't find a decent explanation of different parameters for the charger... First of all, would be very greatful if someone points in in the proper direction.

Specificaly trying to understand what is the difference between "[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]Disc. Cut-Off current(A)" and "Discharge Cut Current" in the Storage program ? I see those on iOS app v1.5.2, the firmware v1.15
[/FONT]

hc900

Newly Enlightened
Re: Disc. Cut-Off current(A) vs Discharge Cut Current

Hello everyone,

just spent an hour searching internet but couldn't find a decent explanation of different parameters for the charger... First of all, would be very greatful if someone points in in the proper direction.

Specificaly trying to understand what is the difference between "Disc. Cut-Off current(A)" and "Discharge Cut Current" in the Storage program ? I see those on iOS app v1.5.2, the firmware v1.15
Essentially you can discharge at the nominal value as 500mA.
When the current fall a bit down to 500mA the charger stop the discharge function.
This is standard function, but in the battery remain a bit of energy, due poor battery quality or high internal resistance values,.

Now you can select the discharge value to 500mA and set the Discharge Cut Current at only 50mA for a deep battery discharge.
Note: the voltage of the battery remain over the Voltage Cut value, this to avoid battery damages, but the discharge current gradually fall down from 500mA to 50mA.

simply123

Newly Enlightened

Now you can select the discharge value to 500mA and set the Discharge Cut Current at only 50mA for a deep battery discharge.
Note: the voltage of the battery remain over the Voltage Cut value, this to avoid battery damages, but the discharge current gradually fall down from 500mA to 50mA.
Thank you for the reply - I understand your logic here, but not sure if it's correct. I'm talking about "Storage" mode - it does NOT involve deep discharge at all (unless I don't understand even more than think), so when the charger reaches the "Target cut-off voltage" it supposes to stop (dis)charging (whatever it was doing) completely. Or I'm wrong ?

fmc1

Enlightened

Setting the mode to storage is somewhat unique compared to other modes like charge, discharge or cycle because the Cut Volt setting is ignored and set to off by default. Target Volt is the important setting for a storage program. Normally Target Volt is the limit for charge and Cut Volt is the limit for discharge.

For example if your Target Volt is set to 3.80V and the battery you insert has less than 3.80V resting it will charge that battery to 3.80V at whatever current you have C. Current set for. Then when the battery has 3.80V it will reduce the current holding 3.80V until it reaches whatever you have your Termination current set for. The default is zero and I recommend raising that to at least .03 - .05 A or else you could be waiting for hours for the battery to settle down depending on it's condition.

If you use that same program for a battery that has more than 3.80V resting it will discharge the battery at whatever you have D. Current set for. Then when the battery reaches 3.80V it will reduce the discharge current holding 3.80V until it reaches whatever you have D. Reduce set for. Also this default is zero and I recommend raising it to .03 - .05A for the same reason. Older tired batteries will just take forever to settle in at exactly 3.80V.

Frank

simply123

Newly Enlightened

Frank, thank you for the explanation, but I'm more-less familiar how does Storage work in general. Unfortunately it doesn't explain my original question - what is the purpose (and the difference between)
"Disc. Cut-Off current(A)" and "Discharge Cut Current" parameters ?

There is a picture of the "standard" Storage program (without any changes):

b-77.PNG

sbj

Newly Enlightened

I have to admit, I've never used the app and haven't installed it.

I suspect an incorrect name was used in the app! :(

One of the two should be called "Termination" or "Termination current". According to the preset value probably the "Disc.Cut-off current (A)" with 0.10A?
In the case of charging, this value represents the cutoff charging current (Termination).

The best way to clarify is to simply try it out by setting this value to the same level as the charging current and observing whether the charger switches off immediately when the final charge voltage is reached [FONT=&quot]without reducing the charging current before.[/FONT]

Last edited:

simply123

Newly Enlightened

I suspect an incorrect name was used in the app! :(

One of the two should be called "Termination" or "Termination current". According to the preset value probably the "Disc.Cut-off current (A)" with 0.10A?
In the case of charging, this value represents the cutoff charging current (Termination).
Even if so, what is the possible purpose of the another parameter ? In my opinion it should be only two "Current" parameters total - "Charge current" and "Termination current", why do they even need the third one ???

sbj

Newly Enlightened

You mean the setting "Discharge Cut Current" or "Discharge Reduce" in the normal discharging program?

In principle when discharging, this is the same as the Termination setting when charging. The MC3000 can discharge up to 2A. If you e.g. Setting 3.0V as the final discharge voltage and discharge with 2A down to this threshold and then switching it off immediately, the open circuit voltage will then recover very clearly in the direction of 3.2 or 3.3V. It would be difficult to hit a certain open circuit voltage straight away. With "Discharge Reduce" set to a low value, this is not a problem.

Another example of a fast capacity test.
The capacity specifications of the battery manufacturers are based on a discharge current of 0.2C. This means that the discharging process alone takes about 5 hours. You can shorten this if you e.g. discharge with 1C and only at the end of the discharge with "Discharge Reduce" the discharge current reduced to 0.2C.

Last edited:

simply123

Newly Enlightened

You mean the setting "Discharge Cut Current" or "Discharge Reduce" in the normal discharging program?
Assuming you are talking to me - no, my question was only about the Storage program and only about those two parameters (Disc. Cut-Off current(A) vs Discharge Cut Current)

sbj

Newly Enlightened

I explained what I think "Disc.Cut-off current (A)" means here:
I suspect an incorrect name was used in the app!
C:\Users\Vonmir\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

In the case of charging, this value represents the cutoff charging current (Termination)....

It has nothing to do with discharge! This is the value of the final charge current when charging to storage voltage.

sbj

Newly Enlightened

I think you still haven't understood how the storage program works?
The purpose of the storage program is to bring a battery to the programmed storage voltage.

1st case:
The actual voltage of the battery is higher than the storage voltage. Then the charger must discharge the battery (discharge current, discharge cutcurrent (= discharge reduce)) involved.
A discharge program is running.

2nd case:
The actual voltage of the battery is lower than the storage voltage. Then the charger must charge the battery (Charge current (A), Disc. Cut-off current (A) (= Termination) involved .
A charge program is running.

simply123

Newly Enlightened

I think you still haven't understood how the storage program works?

Actually, I have designed and made a couple of chargers with a Storage mode for my own needs, so have some idea...

Disc. Cut-off current (A) (= Termination)
OK, possibly I see the source of my confusion... What does "Disc." mean here ? I assumed "Discharge" and it threw me off. If it's "Disconnect" (or "Discontinue" etc) everything suddenly makes sense...

sbj

Newly Enlightened

In my opinion, just a stupid misnomer.
They should name this "Termination" exactly as in the MC3000 menu.

That should be on the suggested list for improvements for the next App version.

But please try it with the app beforehand, not that I might be wrong with my guess.

Last edited:

Oiyuk Ti

Newly Enlightened

Metal stripe got apart recently in my MC3000 sample, later one less than 1 year old. Looks like it was temp sensor strip. Few days before myself transported charger to other household at distance of appx 300 miles. However charger was transported in brand original box with no other 3rd party items in box. I realized the strip is located loosely in on slot on trying to start a charge program yesterday. I was lucky to place it back to its mount after tithing up one of its end - hook formed end. It seems to keep firmly in its mounts now. It looks like manufacturer placed certain amount of thermal grease at the point where some tiny component looks through small opening. Not sure if it is grease to improve thermal conductivity. Me didn't add new grease before placing metal stripe into its mounts, which might be not good.

Mp0w3r

Newly Enlightened

Has the MC3000 been discontinued ?

fmc1

Enlightened

Why makes you think it's discontinued?

It still shows up on their company web site. I just checked 3 US vendors and they all show stock. I have firsthand experience with all three of these vendors and they all ship next day. There is one very popular European vendor that shows availability in 3 days. Seems to me if you want one you can buy one and probably have it buy the end of the week depending on where you live.

A few weeks from now or even sooner this info might be stale but today this is what I saw.

Frank