Small Portable Radio's?

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a BT junkie! :) I just ordered this little Anker on Amazon. With special a special code, (unfortunately, no longer valid), and my Prime reward points, it came to a total of $11.39 with free shipping. It has a 12 hour run-time and really good reviews. I can't help myself!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'm a BT junkie! :) I just ordered this little Anker on Amazon.

Fun stuff; little speakers like that are great for voice/spoken word content, they focus on midrange and upper frequencies and cut through background noise like running water or fans nicely. That's what I still use my Jam Classic for.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
P.S. Since this is coming with a Chinese language manual, would you 5S8Zh5 be willing to send me a copy of your English manual? Thanks.
I just read this Gene. I will gladly send you a copy of the English manual (if I can find my spare, I'll send that). PM me your address and I can get it out asap.

eta: found it!

Last edited:

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fun stuff; little speakers like that are great for voice/spoken word content, they focus on midrange and upper frequencies and cut through background noise like running water or fans nicely. That's what I still use my Jam Classic for.

I agree 100%. I mostly use my little BT speakers for talk radio and for the human voice, they really shine.

I just read this Gene. I will gladly send you a copy of the English manual (if I can find my spare, I'll send that). PM me your address and I can get it out asap.

eta: found it!

PM sent and thanks so much Don! You guys are the best!

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found this today while looking around a local antique, variety shop. They had several boom box radios playing and a few 50/60's style radios setting around.

This one was setting up above the retail shelves, out of the way of pedestrian traffic.

GE Super Radio I, model 72880B

It powered up on AC, switched from AM/FM, tuned up and down, has few scratches and some dust. Trying not to draw much attention I didn't look a the battery box, I'm going back tomorrow to see if it's for sale and check out the battery box.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
No Joy, the store owner said it was her radio and wasn't for sale because it's was hard to find a one that would pick up AM stations..........

I thanked her and left before she could produce a flashlight to point out things that were for sale.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
No Joy, the store owner said it was her radio and wasn't for sale because it's was hard to find a one that would pick up AM stations..........

Smart gal, shows you how good that radio is that someone could randomly come across it and still notice it's unusually more receptive than others.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Bringing up my employer again, but definitely worth mentioning as it brings together a lot of similar threads within this thread: Don't know if you've heard about Tap, but it's basically a Bluetooth speaker with Alexa (an assistant like Siri) that works with TuneIn/IHeartRadio - this means you can tell the speaker "Play WNYC" and it will instantly start playing the live feed from TuneIn, no tuning, no having to look anything up, it's a fully automatic smart web radio. You would only need to know the call letters or name of the station you want to hear, and as long as it's on TuneIn or IHeartRadio, it simply comes on. "Play BBC World Service." "Play local news radio." "Play City 101.6" etc. Quite a game changer as radios go..

sNBHV5w.jpg

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
StarHalo

Looks nice, have you had a chance to play with a demo at work?

Based on the speaker grill it appears LG may be the manufacture, the grill looks similar to what LG uses on the UE Boom.

Should sound pretty good with dual passive radiator speakers.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Looks nice, have you had a chance to play with a demo at work?

Based on the speaker grill it appears LG may be the manufacture, the grill looks similar to what LG uses on the UE Boom.

Should sound pretty good with dual passive radiator speakers.

No, we only get advance news of incoming items, then we merely handle the boxes as they go out; as with the Fire Phone and Echo, they arrive in plain black boxes with no indiction of what's inside them, so lots of folks have handled the items without having any idea what it is. I've handled the boxes for the silicone covers that go on the Tap, and I only know that because "Sling" was on the pallet packing slip, the boxes themselves just have Amazon logos and legal info, pure black otherwise.

The two-speaker/two-radiator setup is the same as the Boom, so it'll probably sound grand. Alexa can also load your Spotify and Amazon Prime music, so it'll be quite the entertainment system.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
SH, that Tap looks really interesting. Oh no, not another gadget I just might "NEED"! 🤓

I'm a BT junkie! :) I just ordered this little Anker on Amazon. With special a special code, (unfortunately, no longer valid), and my Prime reward points, it came to a total of $11.39 with free shipping. It has a 12 hour run-time and really good reviews. I can't help myself!

I received the little Anker yesterday. This thing really is tiny. Playing music, it's lacking with virtually no bass, (of course), and highs aren't one of it's greatest attributes either. As SH alluded to and where it shines is talk radio. Voices come in loud and clear and the volume is loud enough to pretty much fill a room.

Anker makes some great products and their build quality is first rate and this little guy is no exception. Everything from the box it came in and it's accessories to it's included little carry bag exudes quality. It's a fun little toy and I'm glad I added it to my collection.

P.S. Don, I sent you a PM but thank you so much for the English manual for the ICR-110. Another quality product!

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Hey all. I'm looking for a small handheld NOAA radio, and having trouble finding something that fits the bill and also gets good reviews.

At the moment I'm down to a choice between the Cobra CWR 200 and Midland HH54VP. Both have a lot of negative reviews for various reasons, but I get the impression they're from people who can't figure out how to program them.

My requirements:

Handheld
DC or USB powered, with USB strongly preferred
AA battery backup
SAME alert capable
Easy to silence all but the most critical/tornado alerts

AM/FM capability would be a plus, but it's not at all necessary

Under $50 would be good, but if the right thing is out there, I'm willing to spring for it.

I'm leaning towards the Cobra model solely because it has built-in NiMH charging off of USB. I have really bad AC outlet layout - old house - and adding yet another wall-wart to the mix is not appealing.

Thanks in advance.

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I looked at that, but it doesn't appear to have SAME capability, which is a must. Otherwise it looks solid.

ingineer

Newly Enlightened
Timely, just when i was gonna post, there was emergency traffic on 220.
He is OK, now at the hospital
Please, go get your ticket, ain't hard no more code.
simple test and almost zero cost, plus cheap Baofeng radios
or even less monies w/ SDR dongles with SDR#

StarHalo

Flashaholic
At the moment I'm down to a choice between the Cobra CWR 200 and Midland HH54VP.

These small handheld weather radios don't have much in the way of comparison reviews as most people tend to buy one and stick with it; better to have it taken care of so you're prepared in the event of a weather emergency, so go ahead and get whichever looks more appealing to you, do post your review here.