Small Portable Radio's?

Spin

Enlightened
For emergency use i have three non digital am/fm portable radios that use different batteries.

1. Old Sony Walkman: 1AAA
2. Sony ICF-S10MK2: 2AA (With AAA battery adapters)
3. General Electric: 9 Volt Battery

I also have two radio shack handheld scanners: Takes 2AA batteries each.

Last edited:

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been meaning to do it, and finally took the plunge and ordered a PL-880 from Universal Radio, which is the only way I know of to get a firmware 8820 or higher. I listen to a lot of AM and FM and am getting tired of the button up and button down volume changing on the ICR-100 and ICR-110, and with the 880's volume knob (and passive radiator speaker) I'll be in hog heaven.

Got a couple of EVVA NCR18650GA Protected 3500mAh to boot.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Which radio is this? If it's pre-integrated circuit, it's more of a collector's item than an emergency unit..
Yes, I agree as I had a 9v radio as a kid once that was made out of an ivory colored type material like plastic. It ate those batteries and they were costly but these days even more costly such that I try and avoid any device that uses 9v that I have to use often. I even bought a digital infrared thermometer because it used 2AAs instead of 9v or even 2AAAs.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations on your purchase 5S8ZH5, I know you're going to really like the receiver. In my opinion the Tecsun PL– 880 is one of the finest consumer class receivers made today and as I believe you will find out a real joy to use. I'm sure you already know this but there are a host of hidden features listed on the web that are not listed in the PL-880 manual, both Jay Allen and Thomas from SWLing have post regarding these features if you need them. I might also suggest that you become a member of the PL-880 Yahoo users group if you're not already. You never know what tidbits of information you will pick up in the group. I hope you post your thoughts and if so I look forward to reading them.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations on your purchase 5S8ZH5, I know you're going to really like the receiver. In my opinion the Tecsun PL– 880 is one of the finest consumer class receivers made today and as I believe you will find out a real joy to use. I'm sure you already know this but there are a host of hidden features listed on the web that are not listed in the PL-880 manual, both Jay Allen and Thomas from SWLing have post regarding these features if you need them.
On it!

bdxpU5D.jpg

recDNA

Flashaholic
I've been meaning to do it, and finally took the plunge and ordered a PL-880 from Universal Radio, which is the only way I know of to get a firmware 8820 or higher. I listen to a lot of AM and FM and am getting tired of the button up and button down volume changing on the ICR-100 and ICR-110, and with the 880's volume knob (and passive radiator speaker) I'll be in hog heaven.

Got a couple of EVVA NCR18650GA Protected 3500mAh to boot.
So now you have it... How about a little micro review? Was it worth it?

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! I bought mine in Jan 2014 and as you can see the additional features are not listed above some of the number keys. I am also running with an early version of the 8820 firmware, it would be interesting to compare the difference.
The pic I posted is borrowed from a SWLing blog post on the hidden features, and shows a PL-880 Yahoo Group photo credit. Don't know if it's real or a photoshop.

So now you have it... How about a little micro review? Was it worth it?
My order, made last Saturday, is through Universal Radio, and I got an invoice yesterday stating that the backorder date expected is 7/25 - so best case I get it early next week - worst case a few days later. I will definitely post a review.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The pic I posted is borrowed from a SWLing blog post on the hidden features, and shows a PL-880 Yahoo Group photo credit. Don't know if it's real or a photoshop.

My order, made last Saturday, is through Universal Radio, and I got an invoice yesterday stating that the backorder date expected is 7/25 - so best case I get it early next week - worst case a few days later. I will definitely post a review.
Oh I misunderstood. Looking forward to it!

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a CC Skywave a few months ago mainly for the weather capabilities when I go camping. So far I am impressed with the radio given its size.

e17c1770-6a67-4934-a099-b753906c2736_zpsgfyiard0.jpg

parametrek

Enlightened
Yes, I agree as I had a 9v radio as a kid once that was made out of an ivory colored type material like plastic. It ate those batteries and they were costly but these days even more costly such that I try and avoid any device that uses 9v that I have to use often. I even bought a digital infrared thermometer because it used 2AAs instead of 9v or even 2AAAs.

Bring those old radios back to life with NiMH 9V cells! At $3-$4 each they aren't even more expensive than buying alkalines at the corner store. The 8.4V low-self-discharge versions are great.

Flipping through LCJ's AliExpress store, I came across this gem: Flashlight with FM/MP3

Much better than the usual built-in flashlight. :)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Bring those old radios back to life with NiMH 9V cells! At $3-$4 each they aren't even more expensive than buying alkalines at the corner store. The 8.4V low-self-discharge versions are great.

Flipping through LCJ's AliExpress store, I came across this gem: Flashlight with FM/MP3

You're still looking at maybe nudging double-digit runtimes even with the updated battery, and the reception is not at all on par with modern radios; powerful local stations only.

Another clever flashlight/radio combo, but a little too clever with a li-ion cell, FM-only, and 3-4 hours runtime with light and sound. Try Weather Band/AM/FM, flood light, spot light, ~3 days runtime with light and sound, and then you have the option to crank to carry on:

ogWhW2v.jpg

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

Much better than the usual built-in flashlight. :)
No thanks.... by the time you spend the money on LSD 9v batteries and a decent charger for them you wouldn't have to spend too much more to get a AA or even AAA based radio that probably is more efficient with power than obsolete 9v radios. If 9v batteries were a lot cheaper I would not be so much against using them but they have 6 AAAA cells in them and cost more than 6AAA batteries with considerably less power to them and the have between 50% more capacity to twice as much. If one does the math 1AA battery has as much power as 4-5 AAAA batteries and 2AAs has 1/3 more power than a 9v battery if not more.
If I were to look at buying a radio I would want it to be 2-4AAs or 18650 powered for the most power in least size and cost.

Personally I have 2 9v (6D cells) boom boxes that I'm considering getting a 2S 18650 setup to power them to save not having to spend money on alkaline batteries. Even though when 9v batteries leak on average they do less or no damage vs other alkaline batteries I've still had them damage devices that they were in before and I find lithium 9v are absolutely outrageous in cost at around $10 a battery.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
That's pretty remarkable, that the happy little look-how-small-I-am model goes sailing right past the flagship pocket model performance-wise. I wonder if this means the new DT-500 takes it up another notch..

Edit: Now that I look closer, the 500 is actually smaller than the 160, that's a new direction..

Last edited: