Small Portable Radio's?

schuster

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should also be mentioned that prior to the FCC switching up the analog bands, I always promoted listening to TV audio on the radio as the first means of getting info during a power outage/emergency; TV stations have exponentially more news resources than any radio station, and they will for certain be broadcasting news at the very least at given times during the day on channels you already know. The DirecTV app for phones/tablets/devices allows you to watch any of their channels/live content right there on your device, so I can now just tune local TV on my phone during a power outage. That's a pretty big mark against the portable radio for me.
During certain emergency situations, one of the first things to go is cell phone reception. There was an earthquake off Hilo and my mom in Honolulu said cell phones went down, but analog dial telephone landlines still worked. And battery radios worked fine.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
During certain emergency situations, one of the first things to go is cell phone reception. There was an earthquake off Hilo and my mom in Honolulu said cell phones went down, but analog dial telephone landlines still worked. And battery radios worked fine.

Right, the towers will overload during an emergency, which is why having TV audio on the radio was such a boon; no replacement for AM radio once everything's down.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally got to Jay Allen's 2017 update of his radio shootout.

Buried deep in there, in the paragraph writeup of the Skywave, is a teaser that he is testing a prototype of an updated model that includes SSB....

http://showstoppers_ces.vporoom.com/C.Crane/download/C.+Crane+CC+Skywave+SSB+Radio.pdf

Typical.
I just noticed the other day that Eton snuck in a new version of the Field model radio. They added Bluetooth capability to it. grrrr!
You'll notice it's called the Field BT and has a pair function added on the buttons
110 bucks on Amazon.

Last edited:

schuster

Newly Enlightened
Typical.
I just noticed the other day that Eton snuck in a new version of the Field model radio. They added Bluetooth capability to it. grrrr!
You'll notice it's called the Field BT and has a pair function added on the buttons
110 bucks on Amazon.

Hobbies cost money :)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Sony is really going all out with Bluetooth speakers and LEDs for 2017:

Sony XB40
LCScLv8.jpg

I saw this guy at the local box store; it's 11 inches wide with a multi-color changing light bezel, color changing light inside the grille, and "strobe" white lights on each side of the unit - basically an explosion of light and sound and color, very impressive in person. Sits horizontally or vertically, can be stereo paired with a second copy or linked with up to ten other speakers for multiple room sound, and has a 24 hour runtime.

LED Bulb Speaker
LYDrFJ0.jpg

A 500 lumen LED bulb with 192 color and 32 brightness plus cycling options a la the Philips HUE, which also happens to be a Bluetooth speaker. Any basic lamp/fixture becomes a sound and light show, or just pleasant lighting and mood as needed.

Glass Sound Speaker
KznnWKP.jpg

A unique attempt at an at-home centerpiece speaker; dimmable warm LED filaments sit within a resonant glass tube which acts as the tweeter, mated to a midrange speaker below. Can be stereo paired.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live rural and I would never give up our landline. We've had several outages here where my wife's cell phone wouldn't work but our trusty landline always did. I think they're still viable in this day and age of amazing whatever.

That Sony LED bulb/BT speaker looks interesting SH!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I live rural and I would never give up our landline. We've had several outages here where my wife's cell phone wouldn't work but our trusty landline always did. I think they're still viable in this day and age of amazing whatever.

Would totally agree if given the opportunity; when paying a cable/internet company to provide your land line, they route it through the data connection using a router (which of course dies if the power goes out,) the copper line isn't used. Given that our power is out less than an hour a year, there's not much point in paying for a redundant-but-not-mobile phone line.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have said we have outages here several if not many times A YEAR. Some for 5-10 minutes, some for hours. Our land line is essential.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I should have said we have outages here several if not many times A YEAR. Some for 5-10 minutes, some for hours. Our land line is essential.

You must have lousy cell phone providers then, Many towers here have built in UPS type systems when power goes out they still operate for awhile on large banks of lead acid batteries. We had a power outage lasting for 4 days here and I walked by a cell phone tower nearby about a half mile away that was on a gas powered generator.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
You must have lousy cell phone providers then, Many towers here have built in UPS type systems when power goes out they still operate for awhile on large banks of lead acid batteries. We had a power outage lasting for 4 days here and I walked by a cell phone tower nearby about a half mile away that was on a gas powered generator.

Yeah, welcome to my world. :) Cell reception here is always spotty and to complicate matters, we live off an old logging road on the side of a mountain in a dense forrest.

Cell reception here has made improvements over the past few years but it's still leagues behind big or even smaller cities. Personally, it doesn't matter to me as I don't own a cell phone but my wife does.

schuster

Newly Enlightened
Since this model was mentioned upstream in this thread, thought I'd mention that I just returned an Eton Satellit to Amazon, and here's why. After a couple of years with my PL-880 playing shelf queen from terrible AM-band intermod due to its wide-open front end, I noticed that the Executive Satellit was on sale.

I read the reviews again and again, and eventually bought one from Amazon using Jay Allen's affiliate link (support him!).

MW and SW reception are pretty much as others have described; probably class-leading and definitely superior to the PL-880 in my locale. Just like the Traveller III, the Satellit has absolutely no images throughout the AM band.

Now for the negatives.

1.The first runs of the Satellit got dinged over build quality, and the subsequent reports indicated a visible improvement. With my "Executive" model I see evidence of Chinese QC creep. Subtle things: Chips in the silver paint at the edges of some keys on the keypad. Dust behind the LCD bezel. Mottled chrome plating on the telescopic whip. Of course I can live with these; however, in view of what I note below, I wonder whether the ugliness now goes deeper than the skin.

2.The leatherette case, while pretty, is totally non-functional (i.e. gets in the way). Worse, it reduces the audio quality because it covers the back grille. Not to mention the ugly magnets embedded into the rear panel of the radio, visible when you remove the leatherette.

3.Speaking of audio - whoever posted that the off-the-speaker audio of the Satellit was as good as the Tecsun, must be more deaf than me. There is NO comparison: the Satellit is thin and tinny and obviously optimized for voice rather than the general-purpose design of the Tecsun which sounds quite nice playing music.

4.The sync detector is even more useless than the Tecsun, which wasn't even advertised as having one. At least on my specimen, it takes a signal having full-scale strength to get the sync to lock. Even local fringe stations are beyond it, leaving you with a "locked" state resulting in the original signal being buried in prominent white noise. So, in short, the only stations in which the sync detector would function, are those for which it would probably not be necessary in the first place. Back to ECSS, I guess.

5.Few have commented on FM. I didn't plan to use this much for FM, but a glaring issue is tough to ignore. In between stations, mixed with the static, is a high pitched whine that appears to be coming from the timing circuit that turns off the dial LEDs. It becomes louder when the light is on, and softer with the intensity of the LEDs, and goes away when they are off. With headphones I can even hear it while a station is being received. Just when I thought "well, I could live with that" I noticed a warbling S9 birdie at 89 MHz having the same characteristics. Reviewers have commented on the "done right" design of this DSP radio, in which parts placement and shielding are laid out so as to minimize stray noises creeping into the audio. In FM this seems to be a glaring issue, unless it is just my specimen. But I think not - buried in the recent Amazon reviews, someone called Eton over the same issue and they insisted - notwithstanding this experienced radio hobbyist's results on numerous other radios - that this was normal and he should adjust his antenna, etc.

6.There are numerous reviews which favor the reverse-orange display characteristic of the LCD's that Eton has used on recent models. I agree it looks cool, until (#5) you have to use the radio with the back light turned off; it's a challenge to see anything. At least, with traditional LCD displays, they are relatively legible when not specifically illuminated.

I emailed Eton about the FM issue, and the president said he had relayed my question to the engineering dept. Never received a response, so I polled Jay Allen. He told me that, of the 3 generational specimens he'd tested, none exhibited this behavior; I must have a bad one. But the other Amazon "bad one" review was so recent, that I balked at doing an exchange and playing "did I get a good one" roulette. So I sent it for a quick refund before the return window expired.

I really wanted to like this radio - such that I was actually starting to come up with excuses for holding onto one that was clearly misbehaving. If the discontinued black version - sans anti-functional leatherette case - ever goes on sale, I might give that a try, but I'm in no rush.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
5.Few have commented on FM. I didn't plan to use this much for FM, but a glaring issue is tough to ignore. In between stations, mixed with the static, is a high pitched whine that appears to be coming from the timing circuit that turns off the dial LEDs. It becomes louder when the light is on, and softer with the intensity of the LEDs, and goes away when they are off. With headphones I can even hear it while a station is being received. Just when I thought "well, I could live with that" I noticed a warbling S9 birdie at 89 MHz having the same characteristics. Reviewers have commented on the "done right" design of this DSP radio, in which parts placement and shielding are laid out so as to minimize stray noises creeping into the audio. In FM this seems to be a glaring issue, unless it is just my specimen. But I think not - buried in the recent Amazon reviews, someone called Eton over the same issue and they insisted - notwithstanding this experienced radio hobbyist's results on numerous other radios - that this was normal and he should adjust his antenna, etc.

I believe you have a defective sample, I have the original Satellit and have not experienced any of the issues you mention on FM. I'm not surprised, QC issues seems to be a reoccurring theme with Eton. I had to replace my original Satellit due to QC issues.

As far as the audio quality is concerned I am actually pleased with the audio quality when compared with the Satellit predecessors the Grundig G3 and G5 but I agree the PL-880 with the its passive radiator speaker is superior especially for general listening. I do not think the audio quality for a hardcore SW listener would be a big deal but with fewer SW stations available today I believe it was smart for Tecsun to use a passive radiator to help the radio compete in the general market. When I travel I general take the PL-880 mainly because I am more likely to listen to AM/FM then SW and having a nice sounding speaker is a strong plus.

Having the G3 and the G5 I was expecting a little more out of the Satellit especially given the PL-880 had already been on market for about a year before the Satellit hit the shelves. When the Satellit was originally announced I thought Eton would use a passive radiator speaker to compete with the PL-880 but unfortunately this was not to be. For me the two biggest drawbacks to the Satellit are the soft muting and the step tuning knob. I am also not big fan of the display for the reason you mentioned. I also wish Eton would have kept the same body style as the G3 and G5, having the antenna protrude out the back as far as it does when retracted leaves me concerned about incidental damage when traveling.

schuster

Newly Enlightened
I believe you have a defective sample, I have the original Satellit and have not experienced any of the issues you mention on FM. I'm not surprised, QC issues seems to be a reoccurring theme with Eton. I had to replace my original Satellit due to QC issues.

As far as the audio quality is concerned I am actually pleased with the audio quality when compared with the Satellit predecessors the Grundig G3 and G5 but I agree the PL-880 with the its passive radiator speaker is superior especially for general listening. I do not think the audio quality for a hardcore SW listener would be a big deal but with fewer SW stations available today I believe it was smart for Tecsun to use a passive radiator to help the radio compete in the general market. When I travel I general take the PL-880 mainly because I am more likely to listen to AM/FM then SW and having a nice sounding speaker is a strong plus.

Having the G3 and the G5 I was expecting a little more out of the Satellit especially given the PL-880 had already been on market for about a year before the Satellit hit the shelves. When the Satellit was originally announced I thought Eton would use a passive radiator speaker to compete with the PL-880 but unfortunately this was not to be. For me the two biggest drawbacks to the Satellit are the soft muting and the step tuning knob. I am also not big fan of the display for the reason you mentioned. I also wish Eton would have kept the same body style as the G3 and G5, having the antenna protrude out the back as far as it does when retracted leaves me concerned about incidental damage when traveling.

Agreed that my sample was probably defective. But where there's smoke there's fire, and another recent review complaining about the same issue on FM is troubling. I felt it was not the time to do an exchange from the same production batch.

My complaints about the audio may he been overstated; actually, in isolation there is nothing wrong with the audio for a radio of this size. It's only because of the comparison with the PL-880 having a passive radiator, that it pales.

I have a tiny AM HD/FM HD set from Ibiquity's house brand "SPARC" which also has a passive radiator, and it makes it sound at least twice its actual size.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a tiny AM HD/FM HD set from Ibiquity's house brand "SPARC" which also has a passive radiator, and it makes it sound at least twice its actual size.

Which Model?

Jay Allen has posted his first FM shootout; interesting to see how the list of classics reorders itself when going strictly by FM..

Not a lot off surprises except for maybe the Tecsun PL-390/PL-398MP/PL-398B being a five star. I owned the PL-398B for a few years and due to the extremely tiny sound from the two speakers I never spent much time listening to FM with this radio.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Not a lot off surprises except for maybe the Tecsun PL-390/PL-398MP/PL-398B being a five star.

The Kaito 1103 beat out the Sony 7600, The Sangean 909 beat out the Sony 2010, the Sangean PR-D4W proves itself as a $120 radio for $60, the GE Superradio and CCrane EP aren't five stars, the Eton Mini is four stars, etc.

I owned the PL-398B for a few years and due to the extremely tiny sound from the two speakers I never spent much time listening to FM with this radio.

Nothing an external speaker couldn't fix, but then you're back to parting out components, and that always ends up back at the internet device + Bluetooth speaker..

Latest posts