Small Portable Radio's?

schuster

Newly Enlightened
Which Model?

The AM HD/FM HD portable I referred to is the SPARC SHD-TX2; manufactured in Hong Kong by Nicetex and previously sold, briefly, under the Audiovox brand.

https://sparcradio.com/product/sparc-shd-tx2/

It looks like Grace Digital has taken over distribution of Ibiquity's consumer receivers but their availability comes and goes at random; mostly out of stock.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Kaito KA390; analog AM/FM/WX/SW powered by 3D cells for 300 hours runtime, AC in, 5mm LED "flashlight", $25. Could be the new budget emergency radio champ..

9E35DHt.jpg

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Kaito 1103 beat out the Sony 7600, The Sangean 909 beat out the Sony 2010, the Sangean PR-D4W proves itself as a $120 radio for $60, the GE Superradio and CCrane EP aren't five stars, the Eton Mini is four stars, etc.

It would be interesting to compare your ICF-SW7600GR against the newer Degen DE1103 which uses the Silicon Labs Si4735-D60 DSP chip. I would think it would it would be close. I am really not all that surprised the Sangean 909 which uses the Si4734 DSP Chip beat out the Sony 2010. The 2010 is a great radio and really fun to use but I can see why Jay would give it 4 stars on FM when compared to some of the other 5 star radios. With that said I also don't think there is a big difference in performance between Jay's five and four star rating within classes. Most of the radios listed are already known for performance which is what I really meant when I posted not a lot of surprises.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Kaito KA390; analog AM/FM/WX/SW powered by 3D cells for 300 hours runtime, AC in, 5mm LED "flashlight", $25. Could be the new budget emergency radio champ..

9E35DHt.jpg
If it had decent sound could be a target for an 18650 battery mod. I don't use D cell radios off battery power these days when power goes out I grab my old 4C radio to try and drain the ancient batteries in it finally to nothing.

mightysparrow

Enlightened
I need some help deciding whether to invest in a new portable for listening to Morse code and SSB ham communications, or whether I won't get significant improvement over what I have now. Here's why this issue came up....

I'm a relatively new "ham" who lives in an apartment. When I use my table transceiver, I have to put a tripod-mounted stick antenna out on the balcony in order to do the digital mode shortwave communications that I do to keep a low profile (landlord would not be thrilled by a ham operating). I then take the antenna indoors at the end of every session. Of course, I need to tune the antenna again every time I put it out on the balcony, and I also have to string out and tune the radial wires needed for tuning and low SWR. It's a bit of work.

I'm going to start learning Morse code (CW), and I want to listen to code being used on the bands without having to put the antenna for my transceiver out on the balcony and do all the tuning necessary. I would also like a small portable for listening to SSB comms on the ham bands.

I have a Degen 1102, which has SSB reception and is a great radio for general listening to broadcasts, but it doesn't have fine tuning step adjustments for listening to code or SSB easily. I am thinking of buying a PL-880 for the general sound improvement, any sensitivity and selectivity improvements it might offer, and 0.5 kHz tuning step adjustments - but I don't know if I'd get a significant improvement over my 1102 specifically for listening to SSB and code on the shortwave bands. Can anyone give me help with the question of whether a PL-880 would be a significant improvement over the 1102? Or is there a better choice than the PL-880 or 1102 for the same purpose? I don't want to spend more than I would for the PL-880.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Not really a portable radio per se, but I've just picked up an SDR receiver that has continuous coverage from 1khz to 2ghz. SDRPlay model RSP2. Still learning the software. I'm hoping I can use the low-frequency longwire input to hear whistlers in the VLF range..

Last edited:

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am thinking of buying a PL-880 for the general sound improvement, any sensitivity and selectivity improvements it might offer, and 0.5 kHz tuning step adjustments - but I don't know if I'd get a significant improvement over my 1102 specifically for listening to SSB and code on the shortwave bands. Can anyone give me help with the question of whether a PL-880 would be a significant improvement over the 1102? Or is there a better choice than the PL-880 or 1102 for the same purpose? I don't want to spend more than I would for the PL-880.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

The PL-880 would be easier to use for your circumstance and you would have better audio quality but from strictly a performance point of view I would question if you are really picking up much more.

I would think sensitivity would be close between the 1102 and the PL-880 with perhaps a slight advantage going to the PL-880 but not by much. Most reviews I've read praise the sensitivity of the 1102.

Selectivity advantage goes to the PL-880 but you already have a wide/narrow filter with the 1102 so the benefit of a few more bandwidth options would be marginal.

The fine tuning knob is sweet on the PL-880 and easier to use but the 1102 has a means to fine tune so you aren't gaining functionality just convenience. I believe the 1102 and G5 have a similar fine tuning thumbwheel and yes it can be a hassle but it works.

It hard to say if the differences would be worth the money to you but if you would like to try a PL-880 before buying send me a PM.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I have to put a tripod-mounted stick antenna out on the balcony in order to do the digital mode shortwave communications that I do to keep a low profile

You're always going to have to put an antenna out; for general listening you can try laying/hanging a longwire somewhere where it's not obvious, like along a bannister or guttering, or in a tree, which would allow you to leave it out.

I can't attest to the 880, but generally speaking "audio quality" as criteria for a radio isn't part of shortwave listening; you want to use a listening method that brings out mid tones well for voice and little else, as better low- and high-end response will just bring out frequencies of noise that would otherwise be hidden. I recommend a pair of inexpensive ear/headphones that don't do bass or treble well, as this puts the audio right against your ear, but without the rumbling undertones or fingernails-on-chalkboard heterodynes a full-range speaker would reproduce.

I'm hoping I can use the low-frequency longwire input to hear whistlers in the VLF range..

Is that better than the static bursts on AM?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Is that better than the static bursts on AM?

It's more interesting than the background static. Lightning strikes produce energy at multiple frequencies, and those frequencies propagate at different speeds, so the strikes sound like eerie, descending whistles.

I picked up some buzzing around 100khz. I don't know if that's an old Loran transmitter (edit: nope), something else, or one of the clock frequencies on my motherboard. Also detected what sounded like a data carrier around 40khz.

Last edited:

mightysparrow

Enlightened
The PL-880 would be easier to use for your circumstance and you would have better audio quality but from strictly a performance point of view I would question if you are really picking up much more.

I would think sensitivity would be close between the 1102 and the PL-880 with perhaps a slight advantage going to the PL-880 but not by much. Most reviews I've read praise the sensitivity of the 1102.

Selectivity advantage goes to the PL-880 but you already have a wide/narrow filter with the 1102 so the benefit of a few more bandwidth options would be marginal.

The fine tuning knob is sweet on the PL-880 and easier to use but the 1102 has a means to fine tune so you aren't gaining functionality just convenience. I believe the 1102 and G5 have a similar fine tuning thumbwheel and yes it can be a hassle but it works.

It hard to say if the differences would be worth the money to you but if you would like to try a PL-880 before buying send me a PM.

Thanks very much for the thoughtful response. I'll think about it more - yes, I think you're correct that overall listening improvement with a PL-880 for cw/ssb would be marginal. I'm going to check my wide-narrow filter setting on the 1102 again, before making any decisions about purchasing an additional portable radio. I will also try using a longwire antenna of some sort outside - and I have a Sangean wind-up antenna somewhere that can improve reception with the 1102 also.

mightysparrow

Enlightened
You're always going to have to put an antenna out; for general listening you can try laying/hanging a longwire somewhere where it's not obvious, like along a bannister or guttering, or in a tree, which would allow you to leave it out.

I can't attest to the 880, but generally speaking "audio quality" as criteria for a radio isn't part of shortwave listening; you want to use a listening method that brings out mid tones well for voice and little else, as better low- and high-end response will just bring out frequencies of noise that would otherwise be hidden. I recommend a pair of inexpensive ear/headphones that don't do bass or treble well, as this puts the audio right against your ear, but without the rumbling undertones or fingernails-on-chalkboard heterodynes a full-range speaker would reproduce.

Thank you for your response - I will try your suggestion of using inexpensive ear/headphones. I realize I will need to put some kind of antenna outside, even with a small portable - but it won't require extensive tuning and fussing with radials, as would a more sophisticated antenna I'd use with my transceiver. I have plenty of wire to try to rig up an antenna to use with a portable, and I also have one of the ubiquitous reel-in/out antennas.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I picked up some buzzing around 100khz. I don't know if that's an old Loran transmitter (edit: nope), something else, or one of the clock frequencies on my motherboard. Also detected what sounded like a data carrier around 40khz.

There's always funky noise going on on the longwave band of my Sony, but I have no idea how I'd single out what the origins are. I've never thought to have it on during a lighting storm though..

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
2697c82e-6b64-40fc-8c51-757e77522f58_zpsfe90bejz.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Doosl FM transmitter from Amazon for about $13.00 shipped. The Doosl FM transmitter is a small FM transmitter with a 3.5 mm input jack designed to transmit audio content VIA a FM signal from any device that has a 3.5 mm audio jack such as a smartphone or laptop. If you want to listen to music from your phone using your FM radio speaker or home stereo system then all you have to do is connect the Doosl FM transmitter to the phones 3.5 mm headphone jack and tune the FM tuner to the broadcast frequency displayed on the transmitter and you are good to go.

A FM transmitter could be an inexpensive option for anyone considering buying an expensive Bluetooth speaker who already has a FM radio with a good speaker or anyone who wants to listen to music in the car using the FM tuner. The Doosl FM transmitter is rated to broadcast 15 Ft. but I was able to get over thirty seven feet using my more sensitive radios. So far I am impressed with the performance.

Last edited:

PhotoJim

Newly Enlightened
Quiet here lately :)

I picked up C. Crane's CC Pocket radio recently. I picked up season tickets to my favourite football team (Saskatchewan Roughriders; brand new stadium just opened!) and wanted to be able to listen to the local radio broadcast while attending games. For various reasons my existing radios have been less than satisfactory.

This radio appealed because:
- analog volume knob. Much more convenient to use with the radio at the belt, and much finer volume adjustment than you can get with digital volume setting.
- lock switch. I can tune it to the station I want and lock it. Volume still works but I can't knock it off frequency.
- easy and big red power button on the top. Easy to turn it on and off even at the belt.

I haven't taken it to a game yet (next home game is in a week and a half) but I've played with it, both in a rural area of Saskatchewan far from local stations, and here at home. I'm happy with it. FM sounds good on headphones, and it seems better able to give me clear stereo audio on slightly distant stations that other radios have a little trouble with. AM reception is excellent indeed. The nearest station that carries Blue Jays games is a 10,000-watt station about 110 km (68 miles) away and it's a tough station to receive indoors here, but the CC Pocket picks it up quite nicely. (We won't discuss the Jays' extra-inning loss...)

So far I'm really happy with it. Not cheap, for a compact radio, but worth the money.

schuster

Newly Enlightened
Quiet here lately :)

I picked up C. Crane's CC Pocket radio recently. I picked up season tickets to my favourite football team (Saskatchewan Roughriders; brand new stadium just opened!) and wanted to be able to listen to the local radio broadcast while attending games. For various reasons my existing radios have been less than satisfactory.

This radio appealed because:
- analog volume knob. Much more convenient to use with the radio at the belt, and much finer volume adjustment than you can get with digital volume setting.
- lock switch. I can tune it to the station I want and lock it. Volume still works but I can't knock it off frequency.
- easy and big red power button on the top. Easy to turn it on and off even at the belt.

I haven't taken it to a game yet (next home game is in a week and a half) but I've played with it, both in a rural area of Saskatchewan far from local stations, and here at home. I'm happy with it. FM sounds good on headphones, and it seems better able to give me clear stereo audio on slightly distant stations that other radios have a little trouble with. AM reception is excellent indeed. The nearest station that carries Blue Jays games is a 10,000-watt station about 110 km (68 miles) away and it's a tough station to receive indoors here, but the CC Pocket picks it up quite nicely. (We won't discuss the Jays' extra-inning loss...)

So far I'm really happy with it. Not cheap, for a compact radio, but worth the money.

Agree that it is an excellent performer for its size, and a significant improvement over the Sangean 200/400 series which probably inspired it.

You may notice some digital hash in the audio on weak AM stations; once you're tuned in, use the designated button press to turn off the display (that's where the noise comes from). The "soft" buttons take some getting used to (and some memorization at first).