Smallest single-AAA with clicky switch?

Kindle

Enlightened
The Microstream is a great little light but it's a bit longer than the OP is looking for. It's around 3 1/2" rather than the <3" he's looking for. Also the only way to mount it to a keychain would be through the ring on the clip which isn't optimal.

boondongle

Newly Enlightened
Just seen the world's silliest tailcap design: have a look on DX at SKU44167, particularly the tailcap... with a "normal" flat tailap design, that light could be about 15mm smaller and hence of interest to me :ohgeez:

It's not silly, it's just not suited to everyone's needs. If you just want a small light to clip on a belt loop or purse handle, it's perfect. I own one and haven't had any problems.

Kindle

Enlightened
FWIW I'm guessing the primary reason for the difference in length between the 703 & 701 is the depth of the reflector.

If the 701 is anything like the E06 (also a P4) it's very shallow whereas the ones using a Cree (703) have a much deeper reflector.

When I get home tonight I'll remove the extension tube from the E06 and see how long it is in the 1xaaa format.

The E06 with a single battery is exactly 3" long (76.2mm).

My 703s are 3 1/8" long (79.375mm).

The difference in length is all in the head. The body tubes are the same and the clicky tailcaps are the same length (although a slightly different design...ie the E06 has an integrated clip). The different in overall length is all due to the head.

If I were to hazard a guess...it would be that the 701 is closer to the 75mm listed by DX rather than the 70mm listed by the manufacturer.

jk037

Newly Enlightened
Given the limitations of the lights currently available I asked my lady if she would rather compromise on size or on battery life and she says she would rather have a slightly larger torch than one that will eat Duracells.

So based on that, there's a new favourite - the Black Cat HM-01. I already have one of these and have established that it will produce a and reasonably consistent level of brightness for around an hour on a NiMh AAA; based on the relative discharge characteristics I'd expect it to go for longer, albeit at lower and less consistent ouput, on a decent alkaline cell.

Will give her my HM-01 today and see how she gets on with it :)

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I rotate the use of several key chain flashlights with a Black Cat being one of them (small split ring through one of the lanyard holes works great for key chain carry). For the moment the two others I use are an ITP A3 and a Quark mini CR2. Each light offers things that I enjoy about using them but for some reason it's the Black Cat I keep reaching for. It has remarkable throw for a light like this, has been amazingly durable and there's just something about that clicky; it really is the UI of choice. And because it only cost 8 bucks I just never worry about it like I do with more expensive lights. Even though it's probably the cheapest light I own and has some drawbacks its one of my favorites for it's given purpose.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody familiar with or own a Lions AAA S-A7? (42670 at DX) Black Cat sibling?
XP-E Q4 81.78mm x 14.02mm. Takes a 10440! I believe this is manufactured by Tank007.

Edit: Poster at DX claims emitter is XP-C Q3, not XP-E Q4. Also, "Output on one AAA is definitely brighter than BlackCat. Output on 10440 is MUCH brighter"

Last edited:

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm into the same thing and been thru quite a few of these cheapies.

my pick is the TANK007 TK-701.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18630

its smaller than the 703 and a better light than the black-cat.

i have a bunch of them. why? 1xAAA, clickie, small, bright enough, smooth fairly wide beam with nice hot spot, and around $8

all they need is some textured stair tape (aka skateboard tape) added to the tiny button so you can feel which-end-is-which (so you don't accidentally press to hard on the lens).