Snowmageddon '21

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yup. Drama in weather forecasting.

My son keeps the weather channel on at his house like CNN at airports. In summer it's always predicted to be hotter than local tv forecasts. In winter, always colder. More rain, more snow etc. The thing that makes me chuckle is the term "dangerous lightning" as if there is a lightning that is all kind and gentle-like. And hail? "Golf ball sized, beware!!"

Years ago when I lived in an apartment a few doors down from a high school buddy one spring afternoon I heard this screaming like a girl through my open windows. I stepped outside to investigate. It was coming from my buddies apartment. I knocked on the door and hollered through the mail slot on the door "you ok in there?" I hear "No, my new truck" as he opened the door. He was watching the weather channel who was forecasting baseball sized hail in our area and he had just brought home the nicest vehicle he'd ever owned. Dude was in panic mode. I said "calm down bro we never get hail bigger than a pea"……he said "shut up, you aint helping". lol. I mentioned an oak tree nearby in a guest parking lot where I parked my vintage Mustang under a cover to protect it from droppings from birds or tree sap. "Nope, nope, nope I aint gonna park it there" he hollered out. I just shrugged and walked back to my apartment.

We got some rain but no hail. I looked out of my window while it rained and homie was standing in the bed of his nice new truck holding two umbrelas over it. lol He got soaked but hey, his truck was protected, right. I'm thinking to myself "holding up two metal clad umbrelas in a lightning storm, rum dumb"……
To this day he still has that truck.

So here the forecast is rain, snow and rain. A carbon copy of last week starting an hour earlier and ending an hour later. It's bright, sunny and 50 degrees here so it's kinda hard to imagine waking tomorrow and seeing the ground covered with snow. Yet through modern technology I have a whole day to prepare for that innocent looking blob of green and yellow currently over the south east of the US.

Meanwhile

7-A8-C6347-5-A36-4-AE4-B246-B32-ADAA9-E8-A9.jpg

My local department of transportation is putting down pothole fertilzer by the tank full.
Nice

boo5ted

Enlightened
Ah, what perils await the unsuspecting north east coast of the United States from this harmless looking blob of green and yellow currently over Alabama and Georgia?

6-E52-CE59-5-E34-45-B1-A02-B-FCD7-ECAE8635.jpg

Stay tuned, same Bat time, same Bat channel

Well that little blob of green and yellow just dropped a bit of sleet just north of ATL.

50916793272_154043b221_c.jpg

Poppy

Flashaholic
Well that little blob of green and yellow just dropped a bit of sleet just north of ATL.

50916793272_154043b221_c.jpg

Is that a BigFoot sighting on your back deck?

Here in Jersey...

[FONT=&quot]Snow. High near 32. Northeast wind around 6 mph becoming north in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

[/FONT]

Sunday Night
A 40 percent chance of snow before 8pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 16. Wind chill values between 10 and 15. Northwest wind 5 to 9 mph.

I'm up at 4:00 AM Puppy training a new dog.
Or maybe he is Poppy training?

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Currently: Wind Chill -35°F (-37°C)

that's almost fiery cold ^

…ZIM…

Newly Enlightened
Yea, western NC here! We got dusting last night. Maybe an inch and a half here in my town. Roads are already clear this morning. Hope y'all stay safe up that way

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Here comes round 3. Ding ding ding…
Earlier this week it was "worst ice storm since the ice age" and now it's "eh, we might get a little, but wait……Saturday is too tough to call right now so gas up those chain saws 'cause every tree in the area may be toppled over by this one".

We figure 1-4" of snow and a 1/4" of ice by Sunday.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1613093519.173143.jpg
ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1613093547.415901.jpg

Boy that used to work with/for me sent me this from Georgetown Kentucky last night. I was on storm watch all day but we ended up with nothing.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i love all weather when everyone is ok i been thru all disaters except a volcano its kindof exciting if no one is harmed

Here comes round 3. Ding ding ding…
Earlier this week it was "worst ice storm since the ice age" and now it's "eh, we might get a little, but wait……Saturday is too tough to call right now so gas up those chain saws 'cause every tree in the area may be toppled over by this one".

We figure 1-4" of snow and a 1/4" of ice by Sunday.

Snow is usually not much to worry about here in the North West. However, freezing rain is horrible. SNAP! CRACKLE! POP! all night long. :hairpull: 12 hours to create a mess that takes a week to clean up.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Snow is usually not much to worry about here in the North West. However, freezing rain is horrible. SNAP! CRACKLE! POP! all night long. :hairpull: 12 hours to create a mess that takes a week to clean up.

Northern latitudes get more ice I assume. In the south... it's been 22 years since an ice storm came through... hope the power company spent that time wisely, keeping things trimmed back. We are supposed to get freezing rain mon/tue with lows of 9F. That's not cold for you northern people, but down here it's flipping ridiculous.

wweiss

Enlightened
Ah, what perils await the unsuspecting north east coast of the United States from this harmless looking blob of green and yellow currently over Alabama and Georgia?

6-E52-CE59-5-E34-45-B1-A02-B-FCD7-ECAE8635.jpg

Stay tuned, same Bat time, same Bat channel

Careful - bats didn't work out all that well for us this past year...

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Gotta say, I feel a bit for people in the south & Texas in particular,, you're getting weather your not used to // or prepared for.
Usually you get some snow or ice & it melts thew next day,, not with this series of systems.

If you have to drive, dress like you are going to be outside for 12 hours,, you cannot over prepare or just rely on your phone.
Hat, gloves, winter boots, long underwear, layers,,, several thin layers then a shell coat*, not just one silly bulky coat.
(avoid cotton anything at all cost)

None of your clothes should be tight, trapping air between layers is everything,,, tight is your enemy.

* longer foul weather gear shell

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
orbital,
great tips!

You may add a sleeping bag too (much warmer than a blanket), and cars get really cold if the engine isn't running.
Don't let your gas tank get lower than 1/2 full.
A couple bottles of water, and a big bag of trail mix, or a couple granola bars.

A urinal bottle may be handy, or for the ladies a "Go Girl"

I keep a couple of those really thin plastic bags, that you get in the super market to cover uncooked meat packages, in the trunk. They can be put over socks, and inside shoes/sneakers, to keep feet dry, despite the fact that the shoes may not be waterproof. Also a few pairs of dry socks. Cold wet feet are uncomfortable to say the least.

During the winter, and sometimes all year long, I keep 100 feet of 1/2 inch line and a pully. Also during the winter a long handled shovel.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Never would I say you have to buy the best of everything, it's just unnecessary.
Although, for your shell jacket, one that is breathable is key.

Say you slide off the road & desperately try to dig out, you're panicking and digging really hard, trust me your going to sweat alot.
Then you realize your not getting out anytime soon, if your soaked in sweat & that water cannot escape,, your freeze.

In winter, it's about staying dry.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One of my coworkers years ago told me he and a buddy went fishing in a canoe in winter. He said he had wool clothing to stay warm, his buddy cotten and down.

The boat tipped over and they took a bath. He said they were able to build a fire on the shore but his buddy froze to death since the cotten and down held so much water where his wool clothes dried quickly enough to eventually go find help.

We're getting a mixture of warm air aloft with cold air at the surface. So far the combination hasn't been bad at all for the most part, but boy o boy that could change in temperature of just one or two degrees. (Fingers crossed)

Last edited: