Snowmageddon '21

turbodog

Flashaholic
So question...

If you had a garden hose, appropriate spray tip, and unlimited supply of hot water... what kind of job would that do? I figure it would leave a thin layer of ice behind. Would that be ok? Is it moot... is ice under there anyway?

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
So question...

If you had a garden hose, appropriate spray tip, and unlimited supply of hot water... what kind of job would that do? I figure it would leave a thin layer of ice behind. Would that be ok? Is it moot... is ice under there anyway?

The water can't run into the sewer because it's blocked by snow so you'll have the makings of a skating rink.

turbodog

Flashaholic
The water can't run into the sewer because it's blocked by snow so you'll have the makings of a skating rink.

Maybe cut through the 'dam' beforehand so it'll drain.

Gotta be crazy to battle summertime heat AND snow! Move further south... battle heat and mosquitoes!

Poppy

Flashaholic
Whoa... $450??? I need to load up the tractor, drive up, and make some cash. Pretty sure I can get a snowplow/thrower attachment for the front.
Absolutely you can.

I saw more than one driver with a 4x4, with a plow stop in our street, trod through the snow to the front door, to try to solicit some business.

All ca$h.

Problem is... in this area, a snowfall like this comes only once in every five years.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah...well up in the cold tundra of Canada where I live...we've received a whole inch of snow so far. Might even have to use the broom to sweep it away.

Poppy

Flashaholic
So question...

The key is UNLIMITED HOT WATER.
You would to melt the resultant ice.

You may also need additional heat to evaporate the residual water. If any water remains, and one slips on it you will be speaking with your defense attorney.

scout24

Flashaholic
Poppy- I'm happy to hear your Grandkids were out and working! It's good for kids to do things like that. I made more than a couple bucks back in the day with a snow shovel or a push lawnmower, dragging both all over our neighborhood. Leanburn- My brother in law (RIP) was a big fan of the leaf blower to try to stay ahead of moving light snow. It works to a point, I like your broom better... :)

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
So question...

+

You would have an unimaginable mess that would be inexplicably harder to get rid of the ice created, if not impossible.

The reason you get rid of the snow & not just drive over it, is to avoid ice formation,, ice makes more ice & that's a real problem.

side note:
our next snow is supposed to be wetter followed by Arctic* air mass,, if you don't get rid of the snow, it'll set up like concrete & getting rid of it becomes VERY difficult.

* -30F wind chill is something you have to plan for.

markr6

Flashaholic
Why do people up north NOT seem to use garages? What am I missing?

I KNOW!!!! I was looking at places in northern MI and that seems like the one place you'd want relief from the harsh winter. Well, spend enough and a house will obviously come with, but overall, many with no garage.

turbodog

Flashaholic
+

You would have an unimaginable mess that would be inexplicably harder to get rid of the ice created, if not impossible.

The reason you get rid of the snow & not just drive over it, is to avoid ice formation,, ice makes more ice & that's a real problem.

side note:
our next snow is supposed to be wetter followed by Arctic* air mass,, if you don't get rid of the snow, it'll set up like concrete & getting rid of it becomes VERY difficult.

* -30F wind chill is something you have to plan for.

Ah!

Well the hot water method would be costly... I just wondered if it would technically work. You know... melts the snow, and a river of lukewarm water/snow runs down the storm drains, out of sight.

nbp

Flashaholic
Ah!

Well the hot water method would be costly... I just wondered if it would technically work. You know... melts the snow, and a river of lukewarm water/snow runs down the storm drains, out of sight.

It would melt the snow but the concrete below is very cold so the water will freeze on it. You'd have to put so much hot water on that it actually warmed the surface enough for the water to drain away and dry off without refreezing. If you did it in direct sun on a black asphalt drive you might possibly get away with it. But it would probably be more work than just using a snowblower.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Each year I consider getting one of those big propane torches to melt ice that remains after shoveling the steps or pathway.
https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-91037.html

I have yet to pull the trigger.
It is easy enough to throw rock salt on it, but it does make a bit of a mess, when you track it into the house.

Do any of you have experience using one of these for melting ice/snow?
I suspect that it will be tedious, and I don't know how long a tank of gas will last.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I keep a 5 gallon bucket loaded with mortar sand for traction.

FYI if you know you are about to get a big snow it's a great time to toss out grass seed (kept warm by the blanket of snow), lime and fertilzer. The slow melt into the soil takes the fertilizer, lime and seed into the soil very efficiently. Come spring you'll either rejoice or holler out "my gosh what have I done?" depending of your love of cutting grass.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Each year I consider getting one of those big propane torches to melt ice that remains after shoveling the steps or pathway.
https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-91037.html

I have yet to pull the trigger.
It is easy enough to throw rock salt on it, but it does make a bit of a mess, when you track it into the house.

I suspect that it will be tedious, and I don't know how long a tank of gas will last.

I've used one, not for snow, but on a gravel drive for grass/weed "removal".

CAUTION: it caused rocks (with moisture trapped inside) to explode.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I've used one, not for snow, but on a gravel drive for grass/weed "removal".

CAUTION: it caused rocks (with moisture trapped inside) to explode.
Ouch! I hadn't thought of that.

I had thought that if I melted the ice, but didn't boil the water away, I might be adding a freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw situation and break up some concrete or sandstone, or brick steps.

OK... so now I have a good reason to NOT get one. :thumbsup:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
No experience with it but the numbers don't really pan out. 1 gallon of propane has about 91,500 BTUs. It takes 288,000 BTUs to melt one ton of ice, plus whatever is needed to bring it from the temperature it's at to 32°F. However, that assumes perfect heat transfer from the torch to the ice, as well as a flame which burns every bit of propane. Remember heat rises. Most of the energy from the propane torch will go into the cold air, not into melting the ice. In practice I'd be surprised if 10% of the energy in the propane goes into melting ice. That would be enough to melt perhaps 50 or 60 pounds of ice. If using propane torches were an effective way to remove ice then everyone would already be doing it. Getting a very thin layer of ice off a few steps, fine. But for anything much more than that, you had better be ready to buy propane by the tens of gallons at least.

Salt is much more practical, even if a bit messy.

Thankfully all I had to do was 40 feet of sidewalk, plus the walk leading to the front steps, and the front steps/stoop. Since I don't drive or own a car, mother nature can take care of the driveway in her own good time.

wweiss

Enlightened
Magnesium Chloride / Calcium Cloride are the way to go. Less harmful than sodium cloride to nearby grass/plants and very cost effective to melting ice down to -12 or less. I ran a commercial plowing division for 35 years and we used many, many 50 Lb bags per storm.

wweiss

Enlightened
We use calcium chloride for dust control on construction projects at times. Wind erosion can be problematic at times.

Yes! I have too. It's hydrophilic and extracts moisture from the air to keep itself "wet" to lock up dry dust.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ah, what perils await the unsuspecting north east coast of the United States from this harmless looking blob of green and yellow currently over Alabama and Georgia?

6-E52-CE59-5-E34-45-B1-A02-B-FCD7-ECAE8635.jpg

Stay tuned, same Bat time, same Bat channel