So I almost bought a Surefire...

Knights of Ni

Newly Enlightened
OP might like clickies :nana:
That could well be the case. I traveled 3 hrs to the shop I got all my Surefires from to get an LX2 and left it in the store. Compared to my E2DL the only thing I liked about it was the head down pocket clip. I preferred the UI of the E2DL and the beam was too close to call. Of course I did not leave empty handed I got a 6P with a clicky tailcap :whistle: then added a SST 50 dropin by Mr Nailbender and it was still cheaper than the LX2.
So to elucidate the E2DL is my favorite Surefire in my collection and I wish I could get it back from my wife who found a perfect spot for it in her purse:shakehead
Regards
Knights

prof student

Enlightened
Yes, but the 2-mode ring will only work with the Malkoff hosts. The MD2 also probably has the best heat dissipation for the Malkoff modules, since the head is designed for that specific module.
Yes, you could put one in a surefire, but then you could not use batteries with an 18mm diameter.

The 2 mode ring, where does that go?
Why can't you use it with 18mm batteries?
Does a SF6p need to be bored out, but yet take regular 123s?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2 mode ring, where does that go?
In the head of the light, around the dropin

Why can't you use it with 18mm batteries?
In the last few years SureFire has been lowering the tolerances in their bodies to the point that none (or nearly none) of their lights will take 18mm cells. It's tough to find one that'll take 17mm cells.

Does a SF6p need to be bored out, but yet take regular 123s?
Not sure what you're asking, but a 6P will have to be bored to take 18mm cells. If you do that, it will still be able to use cr123s, but they may rattle.

prof student

Enlightened
In the head of the light, around the dropin
Aww...ok......

In the last few years SureFire has been lowering the tolerances in their bodies to the point that none (or nearly none) of their lights will take 18mm cells. It's tough to find one that'll take 17mm cells..
Are they being made thinner than? I mean, Moddoo bores them out to take 18650. Does that make the body less sturdy? Or are they just not boring them/machining them to be as wide?

Not sure what you're asking, but a 6P will have to be bored to take 18mm cells. If you do that, it will still be able to use cr123s, but they may rattle.
Well, not knowing where the ring went, didn't know if it went somewhere in the body, like at the top of the batteries, or at the bottom, connecting with the tail cap.

Fender

Newly Enlightened
Get the E2DL. I use the stock head for throw, or most of the time I run a Malkoff M60 MCE Warm for monster flood - in a head that looks stock.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are they being made thinner than? I mean, Moddoo bores them out to take 18650. Does that make the body less sturdy? Or are they just not boring them/machining them to be as wide?

It looks like they've been shrinking the inner diameter. Boring out the P/C series lights isn't a problem, but the E series can be tricky because of the way they made the tail threads.

Vesper

Enlightened
Dang, the possibilities are huge. E2DL is a dang nice choice though. Why don't you get one - your wife will love it. :D

If you feel like branching out though, as mentioned Malkoff variations are nice too. MD2/MD3 body, choice of primaries or lithium rechargeable, tons of drop-ins to choose from. Fun stuff.

Last edited:

tpolley

Newly Enlightened
i was given a surefire 6p. i soon upgraded to the led module because i burnt out the incan with the rechargable cr123's. i'm not all that impressed with the 6p led. it's not a bad light. it's not fantastic either. i can't believe for the price they give you a cheap-a$$ twist tail cap. they make you pay extra for the push button click tail cap. most every other manufacturer comes standard with a clicky tail cap.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
i was given a surefire 6p. i soon upgraded to the led module because i burnt out the incan with the rechargable cr123's. i'm not all that impressed with the 6p led. it's not a bad light. it's not fantastic either. i can't believe for the price they give you a cheap-a$$ twist tail cap. they make you pay extra for the push button click tail cap. most every other manufacturer comes standard with a clicky tail cap.

Surefire's Z41 tailcap is far from being a cheap piece of junk. It has earned a reputation for durability that is far beyond anything that other companies offer. Countless LEOs and soldiers rely on Surefire lights with the Z41 to keep them alive. Many of those standard clickie tailcaps from other companies can't even come close to the durability of a Z41. Many of those tailcaps are reverse-clickies because those other companies can't produce a reliable forward-clickie.

The Z41 is also what many of us use on custom LED lights or drop-ins that produce about 500 lumens of light in a tiny package. Why? Because clickie tailcaps tend to burn out. The Z41 is bullet-proof reliable and durable.

Instances of failure with the Z41 over the many years it has been out there ... Two. And both cases involved abuse to the point that the tailcap would have been expected to stop working long before it did.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1

The Z41 is an excellent bit of kit!

I would prefer the Surefire Twisties over a "Brand X" Clicky anyday!

tpolley

Newly Enlightened
Surefire's Z41 tailcap is far from being a cheap piece of junk.
It has earned a reputation for durability that is far beyond anything that other companies offer.

The Z41 is bullet-proof reliable and durable.

Instances of failure with the Z41 over the many years it has been out there ... Two. And both cases involved abuse to the point that the tailcap would have been expected to stop working long before it did.

:touche:

point well taken. i won't argue the reliability of the z41. less moving parts = less to go wrong. maybe for a 500 or 600 leumen upgrade a clicky cap may burn out but for average joe enduser surefires z49 and z59 clicky tail caps are just as reliable. i think they should be standard rather than a $40 option. seriously, what if you bought the surefire 6p for $89 and you decide you want the clicky z49 for $40. then a year or so you upgrade to the led kit for $50. now you have about $180 in a flashlight thats worth maybe $50 or $60. maybe these 500 or 600 leumen upgrades should come with the z41 momentary tailcap. just my two cents. i'm not trying to pursuade anyone.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe for a 500 or 600 leumen upgrade a clicky cap may burn out but for average joe enduser surefires z49 and z59 clicky tail caps are just as reliable. i think they should be standard rather than a $40 option.

It's important to consider who the "average users" of SureFire flashlights are. They're certainly not "flashaholics" or members of CPF.

If you consider some of SureFires biggest markets - military and law enforcement - a tailcap offering momentary-on can be very important, whereas a click-on/off tailcap might not be. Being able to flash the light on for only a brief moment may be what's needed, and whilst this is possible with the likes of the Z49/Z59 it's hard to do reliably under stressful conditions without activating constant-on by mistake. When used in conjunction with a firearm, for example, the Z41 and other "twisty" may be more desirable.

If the Z49/Z59 came as standard with the 6P/6PL, then such users may well end up needing to purchase the Z41, and wonder why it was not included as standard.

There's more to the design of a tailcap than reliability, and different user interfaces can make a big practical difference to the use of the light to some, even if those differences seem negligible to others.

SureFire's products aren't, and never have been, made with CPFers in mind. As much as one can be defined, the average end-user is being considered...it's just not us.

Regards,
Tempest

Last edited:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a 6P with a Z59, buy the Defender model :devil:

But I don't know why someone wouldn't want to buy a Z59 or whatever you choose, as it is always good to have a backup... I personally have 2 Z41's and 1 Z59's not in use at the moment. I have spare bezels also :D

They can come in handy!

Last edited: