Solarforce Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.
3. Posts were edited and this thread has been under obvious heavy moderation. If you're just getting here, you've missed it.

Now about that possibility we were discussing... the REAL on-topic

Please give your justification for the above statement highlighted in red.

Or is it more pure speculation?

Norm

Apologies, Norm. We're all struggling to stay on topic. I have revised my post, sir.

Please proceed. Especially #11 on my list, the other reasons unknown.

Just as a follow up to my most recent post in this thread, it is clear that subalpine has never once pointed the finger of blame at anyone - not at himself, SolarForce, Tenergy, his direct suppliers, or any other party.

Along the same lines, most correspondents in this thread have refrained from assigning blame. We're trying to identify possible causes in the hopes that at some point subalpine on his own or with assistance will be able to unravel the mystery of what happened and thus spare others from being injured in the future.

There is little we can do in this thread can do to solve the mystery without subalpine's full participation.

Maybe because there has been a higher-than-usual amount of posts from site admins?
Justifiably so, a lot of post were very emotive verging on trolling, very counterproductive in the situation.

Norm

There is little we can do in this thread can do to solve the mystery without subalpine's full participation.

IMO, CPF members have done much more than a little. Give yourself a little credit, tandem. I've been biting the heal of my hand since I found the thread on day 1. And I can only hope subalpine keeps reading but remains silent, until such time that it is clear no more harm can come to him.

you already did

Which is more important: what is said, or who said it?

D3gMXUKs.jpg

The clarity of some CPF members' thinking is admirable, present company excused.

Last edited:
IMHO without the OP giving the actual details any further conjecture will be an exercise in futility. Let us kick back, hope he has a speedy recovery and when he wants he can supply the details. He obviously can edit but choses not to reply and I for one respect that.

Apologies for incorrect attribution.

On topic.

Possible causes of a kb such as described as mentioned so far: (please add so we can have a better view)
1. Cell charge mismatch
2. Cell protection damage
3. Thermal shock
4. Dropin failure for reasons unknown
5. User error (apologies to all, must be said)
6. Improper integration by the integrator
7. Counterfeit components
8. Improper charging, maintenance, and observation practices
9. Foreign object debris causing undesired performance
10. Undisclosed user modification
11. Other reasons unknown

Don't forget #11, plz.

Are we dismissing cell over-discharge?

it is ok, no need for Apologies,

yes any of the reasons may be THE reason, or combination of few.

30 seconds is not a lot of time to heat a pair of cells up to the point of rapidly venting with flame. This suggests an internal short inside the cell...

Tom

IMHO without the OP giving the actual details any further conjecture will be an exercise in futility. Let us kick back, hope he has a speedy recovery and when he wants he can supply the details. He obviously can edit but choses not to reply and I for one respect that.

Let's stop this thread for awhile until OP wants to start it back up. He will let us know.

Bill

Flashlight Explosion Article

Found this while searching for other flashlight mishaps. I'm pretty sure this is the incident that Subalpine was referring to.

Re: Flashlight Explosion Article

That is flippin' scary. So brutal but good to see he's ok and healing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

We did our best to come to terms with possible causes in the closed "Solarforce Explosion" thread. Top of the last page.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?396117-Solarforce-Explosion/page8

On topic.

Possible causes of a kb such as described as mentioned so far: (please add so we can have a better view)
1. Cell charge mismatch
2. Cell protection damage
3. Thermal shock
4. Dropin failure for reasons unknown
5. User error (apologies to all, must be said)
6. Improper integration by the integrator
7. Counterfeit components
8. Improper charging, maintenance, and observation practices
9. Foreign object debris causing undesired performance
10. Undisclosed user modification
11. Other reasons unknown

Don't forget #11, plz.

Are we dismissing cell over-discharge?

I just hope that lurkers and newbs learn from this very unfortunate example. Do not panic, engage the brain. Read, think, ask questions, learn.

Thanks to Subalpine for starting the discourse.

That is flippin' scary. So brutal but good to see he's ok and healing well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bene_Gesserit
The litany against fear is an incantation used by the Bene Gesserit throughout the series to focus their minds and calm themselves in times of peril. The litany is as follows:
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.[2]

Last edited:

This definitely doesn't dissuade me, if anything, I've learned to take better care of batteries. I never knew how powerful lithium batteries were until I started researching this forum to purchase a new flashlight.

I'm a newb so forgive my ignorance, from the other thread on this, it seemed like these explosion issues, while very rare, are more of a concern with lithium primaries and not as much with secondaries. So far the only lights I have are either AA, AAA, or use rechargeable 18650s, is there less of an explosion concern with these?

This dissuades me from using certain battery types because there is enough stuff to worry about in life aside from are my flashlight batteries over/under charged, paired, stored correctly, near where my kids might grab them etc. Again this is just my recent decision and in no way am I trashing anyone else's decisions to use whatever they want. Thanks for the fear incantation. It helped me to stop crying and come out of the fetal position in the corner of the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Status
Not open for further replies.