Solarforce T7 - Q5 Cree

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
So how much brighter is the T7 compared to the current SSC VB-16? I really like the form factor of the VB-16 with 18650 capability but the lackluster SSC bugs me.
Just tested, and yes it is considerably brighter.

My VB-16 is a 1st gen luxeon model, overdriven to 4W, which I modded with SSC U-bin last year. I doubt the the current VB-16 SSCs are much brighter than my overdriven SSC-modded one.

According to my lightbox, on max, the T7 output is 89 on primaries, 82 on 14670. My SSC-modded VB-16 gets 64 on primaries and 61 on 18650. That's 35-40% increased output on the T7.

Just did a ceiling bounce, and I again get ~35% greater output on the T7 (numbers added to the review above).

Of course, the T7 doesn't go anyway near as low as my VB-16 does ...

:wave:

Warhead

Newly Enlightened
Are these made by or in conjunction with Fenix? Did I miss something somewhere?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Are these made by or in conjunction with Fenix? Did I miss something somewhere?
No, there's no relation between Solarforce and Fenix that I am aware of. CPF user waion provide the T7 for review, since it uses a never version of the VB-16 circuit (which waion used to sell here).

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
selfbuilt
As you can see, the Solarforce T7 seems to be the brightest of bunch, with a similar profile to the Fenix Q5 head.
I didn't see that the same way. No matter how much I looked at the pictures the T7 never came across as the brightest to me. The T1 looked like it had a brighter hotspot and smother spill of equal brightness. I can't remember the lux readings from the T1 but weren't they also higher than what was recorded with this light?

Anyhow, thanks for another great review selfbuilt. It's a strange light but nice to be able to read about it.
:popcorn:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I didn't see that the same way. No matter how much I looked at the pictures the T7 never came across as the brightest to me.
True, the pics don't look noticeably brighter. Part of that is likely due to the fact that the hotspot is over-saturated in all beamshots, so you can't see intensity differences (white wall beamshots really only tell you profile and spill beam characteristics). Tint variation can also be an issue.

But both my lightbox and ceiling bounce test tell me the T7 is putting out more light than the P3D-Q5 or T1 (~6-7% more), so I tend to trust that. It also seems marginally brighter to my eye, but of course that could just be tint difference as well. :shrug:

Patriot

Flashaholic
True, the pics don't look noticeably brighter.

But both my lightbox and ceiling bounce test tell me the T7 is putting out more light than the P3D-Q5 or T1 (~6-7% more), so I tend to trust that.

Well, I also have to believe your lightmeter and not my own eyes. I will say that it appears that the both the T1 and P3D have nicer appearing beams as they seem to be less ringy than the T7.

It's a very unique light though and to think that it displaces a couple of the mainstay lights in share output is impressive. Definitely worth the good review that you gave it. :)

phreeflow

Newly Enlightened
I agree on the look ... unfortunately, my AW protected 17670 just arrived, and it won't fit in the T7.

Bummer :sigh:...that just blew it for me. I was liking your review of this light for reasons similar to @SpoonRobot...reverse clickie, starts on high, versatile/easy UI, and thin/long rather than short/fat....great for EDC IMHO. Oh well :shrug:.
Thanks again for another amazing review @Selfbuilt! :twothumbs:clap:
You're the man!! :rock:

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Bummer :sigh:...that just blew it for me. I was liking your review of this light for reasons similar to @SpoonRobot...reverse clickie, starts on high, versatile/easy UI, and thin/long rather than short/fat....great for EDC IMHO. Oh well :shrug:.
Well, the situation is at least no worse than for my P3D-Q5 - the protected 17670 won't fit in there either! Also, my P3D doesn't like my AW protected 14670 for some reason - I get a rapid strobe on max after ~1sec of usage. So I guess my 14670 will now do permanent duty inside the T7!

BTW, forgot to mention it in the review, but there is a small raised area in the center of the positive contact board in the head (i.e. a nipple), so flat-top Li-ions work fine. I wish all makers were so considerate. :thumbsup:

phreeflow

Newly Enlightened
Overall it looks like Solarforce really put some thought into this light. Other than some minor issues here and there, it seems like a possible contender to some of the more well regarded lights. Maybe not just yet but I can't wait to see version 2 with some revisions made. :popcorn:Thanks again Selfbuilt.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
A little FYI for modder/those that are curious.

The head is sealed to the body with an adhesive but can be removed with strap wrenches quite easily. Be aware that there are four wires that are attached to the head and run to the light level buttons, unscrewing the head seems to cause at least one of these wires to break at the solder point. Resoldering and getting it all back together is a real pain so if you are intent on seeing the insides have the soldering iron handy. Also, I have no idea how to remove the light engine without destroying it, it appears to be pressed and sealed into the bezel.

#2, the brightness level buttons tore when I tried to remove them, I'm not sure where one could get replacements from this does not necessarily destroy the waterproofing since half the switch will still act as a seal if it isn't pushed into the body.

Just a little FYI from someone who was bored on a Saturday night. :rolleyes:

metawaffle

Newly Enlightened
This review was great, and was spot-on about runtimes. I lurked here a bit while I was researching what to buy, and I've now registered to provide a bit of feedback about the SolarForce T7.

I've been carrying this thing around for weeks now, like some sort of obsessive, gleefully shining it into anything vaguely dark. I bought it primarily for night-time and underground photography, and coming from a history of big, heavy spotlights, I'm impressed beyond words. Small and light, with easy to carry spare batteries, and fantastically bright.

So, yes, I'm very taken with the T7, but I do have some minor issues:

1) Brightness levels.

As pointed out in the review, the levels are bunched up near the top of the range. I wonder if perhaps the adjustment is a linear scale that should really have been logarithmic? I too have eight levels, but because of the odd placement of the intermediate settings, the only really useful levels are full and dimmest.

2) Doesn't switch on properly on RCRs

On RCRs, I find that switching it on will often just cause it to flash once then remain off, and it requires further button pressing (off and on again, or just a half-press) to switch it on properly. Strange. Combined with the strobe issue below, it's annoying.

3) Rear button activates strobe

Switching the light off and on again reasonably quickly activates strobe mode, as does a half-press of the rear button. Given that I have to switch it like this to get it to start up sometimes, it's a bit annoying. I didn't notice any mention anywhere that strobe could be activated this way - personally, I'd prefer it to not do so.

But that's about it. It's good and bright, and I wouldn't want to dissuade anyone from picking one up - overall I'm very pleased with it, and now I keep eyeing off the triple-bulb version :grin2:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
On RCRs, I find that switching it on will often just cause it to flash once then remain off, and it requires further button pressing (off and on again, or just a half-press) to switch it on properly. Strange. Combined with the strobe issue below, it's annoying.
Glad to hear you are enjoying the light, sorry to hear about your RCR issue. I've been unable to replicate it on mine - the light has always behaved consistently on my AW protected RCRs. Sound likely to be a battery or circuit problem to me ... but you could rule out the switch by leaving it clicked in the on position and using the tailcap as a twisty. I suspect your problem would persist, pointing again to the batteries or circuit.

As for the rear tailcap strobe issue, I had mentioned it my review under the UI section, but I realize it may not have been clear. I've just revised the text. Truthfully, it wasn't much of an issue for me, since the light always came on in the right mode, so I was never soft-pressing - but I could see how it would be an issue for you, given your RCR problem.

metawaffle

Newly Enlightened
As for the rear tailcap strobe issue, I had mentioned it my review under the UI section, but I realize it may not have been clear. I've just revised the text. Truthfully, it wasn't much of an issue for me, since the light always came on in the right mode, so I was never soft-pressing - but I could see how it would be an issue for you, given your RCR problem.

You're exactly right, I might not even have noticed it if not for the RCR thing. Honestly, though, it's not a big deal. The spacing of the output levels would be much more useful to address :)

Oh, it also gets quite hot after a few mins on full, though that might be par for the course on a light like this.

metawaffle

Newly Enlightened
Further updates!

Well, I seem to have acquired several other lights since I bought the T7. Not quite sure how that happened, it's all a bit of a blur :thinking: But anyway, I have a slightly more informed perspective on the light now, and I have to say it has by far the nicest beam of those I've used.

A friend of mine picked up a Fenix L2D, which has a similar beam - biased towards flood rather than spot, and very nice on the eyes. Even my cheap Romisen RC-N3, with its P4 emitter, has a brighter spot, but nothing like the overall illumination. Similarly, my Solarforce L2 with R2 emitter has a much brighter spot, but isn't nearly so good for lighting up the immediate area.

Some good news - I finally have some replacement RCRs, and my problem with the light not switching on properly has disappeared! That's made all the difference in the world. :twothumbs

One minor issue, though: I had the light running for a few minutes in a few centimetres of water, and now I have condensation inside the lens. I'm not sure that it makes any difference to the performance of the light, but I was not pleased.

At any rate, it's a great light, and my only problem now is convincing myself that I don't need the new Solarforce T7 II, with R2 emitter and memory function!

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now you need its bigger brother T700 :) It is very bright and throws much better than Wolf Eyes Storm.

d1dd1

Enlightened
I wonder if they could remove the tail-switch to make the light shorter in future versions. They could remove SOS and make a press and hold --> light on / off in the side switch. I already contacted Solarforce about this, they will think about it.

itsmejaytee

Newly Enlightened
Have you guys seen the Solarforce T7 v2?!?!?!

its the second version of the T7 and it HAS a memory mode! Im surprised that i could not find any forums that has some info on this light. But i just ordered one off of Ebay and its on its way.:thumbsup:

metawaffle

Newly Enlightened
Have you guys seen the Solarforce T7 v2?!?!?!

its the second version of the T7 and it HAS a memory mode! Im surprised that i could not find any forums that has some info on this light. But i just ordered one off of Ebay and its on its way.:thumbsup:

Yes indeed, looks great!