• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SOLD OUT: JM-SST: PWM soft-starter Batch 2

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FOR SALE: JM-SST: PWM soft-starter Batch 2

I just hooked up a JM-SST to my LarryK14 and it works perfectly.

Good job JimmyM and thank you for your time and expertise.

It is nice to be able to use the stock switch again. (I had a 50 amp toggle switch under the handle before.) I am running 4000 mAh LiPos 8S2P. The pack stays at 30.7V under the 20A load for a little over 600W. (According to my Super Whatt Meter.) I previously flashed a Q4559X on 8S2P and then ran 7S2P to avoid flashing another. I did not measure Vbulb. It's nice to be able to overdrive this without worry.

I really hope that a higher voltage version becomes available for my HyperBlitz. (Hint, Hint.)

Regards,
Mark
OK. Got the hint. It's been taking a while to get to the "higher power" designs because of projects in the queue. But since this design seems to be robust enough. I've got a proposal for you. I've got a few extra JM-SSTs held in reserve. I'll swap out the MOSFET for a 60V one I have. I've still got your address. I'll send it to you, and you test it. If it works, then you pay. If it blows up, just send it back.
Sound like a good idea?

JetskiMark

Enlightened

OK. Got the hint. It's been taking a while to get to the "higher power" designs because of projects in the queue. But since this design seems to be robust enough. I've got a proposal for you. I've got a few extra JM-SSTs held in reserve. I'll swap out the MOSFET for a 60V one I have. I've still got your address. I'll send it to you, and you test it. If it works, then you pay. If it blows up, just send it back.
Sound like a good idea?

That sounds like an excellent idea. Thank you. I am sure that it will work well, since the wattage will be less than what the Q4559X draws. Would it be possible to have leads for an external pot while keeping the on-board one?

Regards,
Mark

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast

That sounds like an excellent idea. Thank you. I am sure that it will work well, since the wattage will be less than what the Q4559X draws. Would it be possible to have leads for an external pot while keeping the on-board one?

Regards,
Mark
Yeah. I can do that. I'll have to swap one of the resistors and do a little mod to a copper trace. You'll need a 500K external pot. I'll see if I have some flexible small gauge wire lying around for connection to the external pot.

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Jim

#B2-15 JM-SST

PP sent

Hold and post with other parts of care package - let me know extra costs etc. . .

Thanks - Keep up the Good Work
Pete

plasmaman

Enlightened

Hey Jimmy!
Pete and I have a plan...but it means putting 30A through the board using a 1000w 28v par64 lamp on a 36v pack...are you up for it on FAR (fail and return)!
PP on the way for #16!
John

cat

Enlightened

:D wow! A real turbo head! 36V...10D. Some extension you'll need. :D
But you've found me a good reflector / a good lamp to make a spotlight with. Better and cheaper than a Lightforce plastic one. :naughty:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Plasmaman, you and Pete are NUTS!
1000W? Without heatsinking it will overheat and desolder itself from the board, possibly causing a short.
You have to do test runs outside the light first. The only risk to the JM-SST is burning up the MOSFET.
I'd really prefer it if you did an external mount of dual MOSFETs. It's not the MOSFET itself that's the problem. It's the ability to shed heat.
What is the fully charged pack voltage?

JetskiMark

Enlightened

Hello JimmyM

I received my JM-SST-HV-ET today, thank you. I need to get a suitable pot before I can install it. I want to add a secondary "safety" switch. I would like to find a pot with a switch built in. Something like this might fit. I only have about 9/16" of depth where I would like to mount it. So I could not fit something like this.

If I used a pot that was less then 500K, (like the 10K in the first link) would that cause the brightness to only be able to be turned down slightly? I was hoping to be able to get a pot locally, but I will probably have to order one.

I will figure all of this out when I get back from the SHOT Show.

Regards,
Mark

plasmaman

Enlightened

Plasmaman, you and Pete are NUTS!
1000W? Without heatsinking it will overheat and desolder itself from the board, possibly causing a short.
You have to do test runs outside the light first. The only risk to the JM-SST is burning up the MOSFET.
I'd really prefer it if you did an external mount of dual MOSFETs. It's not the MOSFET itself that's the problem. It's the ability to shed heat.
What is the fully charged pack voltage?

:twothumbsMmmmm, you're not wrong!
I charged the pack a few hours ago, and it now shows 34.5v (10 x A123)
I did attach a finned heatsink to the top of the FET as part of the original build, so I guess I should check temps with the 600w lamp fired up...... I'll let you know.

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast

:welcome: . :twothumbs . :broke: . :poof: . :candle: . :thinking:

Any suggestions on the 2x MOSFETs ? I still have a couple of 2804s ?

But there is lots of room in the host so any really big ones that would work would be good ! ! !

Cheers Pete
:popcorn:

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello JimmyM

I received my JM-SST-HV-ET today, thank you. I need to get a suitable pot before I can install it. I want to add a secondary "safety" switch. I would like to find a pot with a switch built in. Something like this might fit. I only have about 9/16" of depth where I would like to mount it. So I could not fit something like this.

If I used a pot that was less then 500K, (like the 10K in the first link) would that cause the brightness to only be able to be turned down slightly? I was hoping to be able to get a pot locally, but I will probably have to order one.

Regards,
Mark

Hi

This is 17mm deep ? ? ? With a Push Switch - may still be too deep !

Pete

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello JimmyM

Regards,
Mark
10K would give you a 1% variation in duty cycle. Not much use. This part from digikey CT2232-ND would work. It has a mounting depth of 0.525" and an included SPST switch

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast

:welcome: . :twothumbs . :broke: . :poof: . :candle: . :thinking:

Any suggestions on the 2x MOSFETs ? I still have a couple of 2804s ?

But there is lots of room in the host so any really big ones that would work would be good ! ! !

Cheers Pete
:popcorn:

The IRF2804 is perfect. It has very low Rds(on) and is good up to 40V.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast

:twothumbsMmmmm, you're not wrong!
I charged the pack a few hours ago, and it now shows 34.5v (10 x A123)
I did attach a finned heatsink to the top of the FET as part of the original build, so I guess I should check temps with the 600w lamp fired up...... I'll let you know.
If you heatsink the 1KW version, I'll signoff on FAR excluding postage.
You do realize that this will be the highest power application of a Mag body size driver of any design. With that much amperage, the V2 is the better way to go. Also, I'm not sure how the board trace for the negative wire is going to react. I made it as wide as possible, but that's a lot of amps. To help remove this from the equation, you could solder the wire to the pad very close to pin of the MOSFET.

littlejohnle

Newly Enlightened

I'll take 2 x JM-SST No.
#B2-17 JM-SST &
#B2-18 JM-SST

:paypal: For the amount of $56 US dollars.

Thank you.

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK

I'll take the last one just in case . . .

#B2-19 JM-SST

:paypal: . . . blah blah blah.

Cheers Pete
:wave:

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. Well I guess that about does it for Batch 2.
Can I get a show of hands for batch 3? If there's enough interest, I can build another batch.

pertinax

Enlightened
Re: For Sale: JM-SST: PWM soft-starter Batch 2

Just for the record, I received mine and it works great. I'm running 19.2 volts into a 64458. Indeed, it will start fires.

No issues at all; using your board is a lot easier than trying to replace the stock switch for more current handling.

Pertinax