• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SOLD OUT: JM-SST: PWM soft-starter Batch 2

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: For Sale: JM-SST: PWM soft-starter Batch 2

Thanks for the feedback.
Since this is my first design I've decided to sell, I appreciate ALL feedback, not just the good kind. Negative feedback helps me redesign/improve things. Although I like that it's working out well for folks.
The original design was built to such overkill levels, hoping to avoid returns/failures, that it's now being used in 600+ watt lights using heat sinking.
I'm sitting here, just before writing this, about to pull the trigger on a batch of 50 professionally built PCBs.
The design seems to be working out well. I'd like to get some feedback for Batch 3. I'd hate to dump a bunch of cash into a set of boards only to find out later that there are problems that I'm not hearing about.
I think I'll start a thread for feedback.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/188421

Last edited:

nitere

Newly Enlightened

JimmyM,

Received my switches the beginning of last week. I wanted to install and run them before posting but have not had a chance. I will see what I can do this week so you can have another data point on your great new product. Like pertinax said this is so much easier and cleaner than coming up with a high current switch to replace the stock one.

Thanks, nitere

FTL

Newly Enlightened

Paypal inbound for #B2-20 JM-SST!
$25 + $6 s&h = $31

Thanks!

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Jimmy, have you decided to go with at third run yet? It's not that I can't copy your earlier work, it's just that this last batch looks so good and I was a complete idiot not to get one, but I was still stuck doing the LED thing.

Now I am a hotwire guy.....like my LEDs...LOVE those beautiful hotwires!!

Bob E.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "third run" won't be the original JM-SSTs. They'll be the voltage compensated softstarters I'm working on now. They adjust for falling battery voltage but only work well when the battery pack would fall to a safe voltage before shut-off.
It will limit dity cycle to a set value during startup, but as pack voltage falls, the duty cycle increases to increase output with respect to the falling battery voltage. A thread on these can be found here...
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202754

I may build a third run of the original JM-SSTs if the "new version" doesn't show enough adjustability to take the place of the original.
I like how the numbers look for the "new version".
Hmmm. Now for a name... JM-SSC perhaps? (Soft Start with Compensation)

Charlie.Smith

Newly Enlightened
Jimmy,

With the JM-SSC back on the shelf, is there any chance you'll make a third batch of the JM-SST's? If so, I'd certainly sign up for a couple. :grin2:

Latest posts